Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by IcedOver »

AgentEcho wrote:I think the reality of the film and television business is, the only kind of project David Lynch is going to be given the budget and freedom he requires to work in the medium is more Twin Peaks. And if David Lynch and Mark Frost want to make more Twin Peaks, I can't wait to see what they come up with.
I don't think that's the case. It's not like he's been trying for years to get a bunch of movies off the ground and been denied. Maybe that happened for one movie or maybe it didn't get to that spot. He probably just hasn't wanted to all that much until he realized he could shoehorn some shoebox ideas into "Peaks". If he really wanted to get something made that's not "Peaks", someone in France would give him money, or even one of these damn "streaming" outlets. Someone gives money to all these indie people who imitate him and other filmmakers; no reason why they can't give money to him.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

IcedOver wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:I think the reality of the film and television business is, the only kind of project David Lynch is going to be given the budget and freedom he requires to work in the medium is more Twin Peaks. And if David Lynch and Mark Frost want to make more Twin Peaks, I can't wait to see what they come up with.
I don't think that's the case. It's not like he's been trying for years to get a bunch of movies off the ground and been denied. Maybe that happened for one movie or maybe it didn't get to that spot. He probably just hasn't wanted to all that much until he realized he could shoehorn some shoebox ideas into "Peaks". If he really wanted to get something made that's not "Peaks", someone in France would give him money, or even one of these damn "streaming" outlets. Someone gives money to all these indie people who imitate him and other filmmakers; no reason why they can't give money to him.
So, IcedOver, you're basically in the Profoundly Disappointed group, I take it? :wink:
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Lynch can do as he pleases. He doesn't need the name "Twin Peaks" to get his work produced these days.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

That ain't reality folks. Partially its Lynch's own doing because he's fussy about how he works, but if you think David Nevin can get get his bosses to approve any idea Lynch comes to him with and give him total creative freedom and the budget he wants you're not paying attention.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

That ain't reality folks. Partially its Lynch's own doing because he's fussy about how he works, but if you think David Nevin can get get his bosses to approve any idea Lynch comes to him with and give him total creative freedom and the budget he wants you're not paying attention.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:I’m sure if a movie/season 4 comes out , the 4th missing page will play an important part
Never be sure of anything with Lynch and Frost!

But as long as we are speculating, I am assuming Red will play a big part in Season 4.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Why does someone "in the know" always have to run their mouth?
Of course it's nice for us to have something to be excited about, but this kind of stuff only tends to complicate things. Oh well. I don't mind sitting on the hype train once it gets moving, I only really, really hope this isn't for nothing
I'll see you in the trees
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I’m sure if a movie/season 4 comes out , the 4th missing page will play an important part
Never be sure of anything with Lynch and Frost!

But as long as we are speculating, I am assuming Red will play a big part in Season 4.
I'm not assuming anything, but, I'll desperately hope that Justin Theroux gets a role in whatever this thing (that may or may not exist) is! And that Michael Ontkean might appear! (Though, I have to imagine if it was in fact health reasons that he couldn't do Season 3, then, I can't imagine he'd be likely to come back for a Season 4 or Film .. or that there'd even be a place for him, given the status quo shift).
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I'd imagine that Showtime's parent company would love to use a new season of Twin Peaks to boost the prestige of the CBS All Access app. That thing is just Star Trek and a whole bunch of disposable sitcoms from the last 15 years...

Perhaps Lynch/Frost want to end Twin Peaks on a high note, as opposed to overstaying their welcome with another Season 2. I loved the first third of Season 2, the middle third is a drag, and the final third is better than the middle third... I think they might be content leaving the audience wanting more, and filling in the rest of the details with our imaginations.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I want to be excited so badly. No show or movie news could get me more excited, however there just isn't enough to go on yet for me. I really want more Twin Peaks and not just some between two worlds but a movie or show please. Come on Lynch I got more money I want to spend.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AgentEcho wrote:That ain't reality folks. Partially its Lynch's own doing because he's fussy about how he works, but if you think David Nevin can get get his bosses to approve any idea Lynch comes to him with and give him total creative freedom and the budget he wants you're not paying attention.
Very few filmmakers are going to get carte blanche to do whatever they want, obviously. There are always limitations. Lynch had to take a huge budget cut on Blue Velvet because final cut was more important to him than the money. You choose your battles. But Lynch himself is the one who has perpetuated this myth that he can’t get films made anymore because no one is funding mid-range budgeted films anymore, and that’s just not true. Plenty of directors like Yorgos Lanthimos, Leos Carax, Alex Garland, as well as guys with name recognition arguably closer to Lynch such as Cronenberg and von Trier, get funding to make comparable films in terms of budget/niche appeal. Lynch has never needed a huge budget to get his ideas across, and often settles for simple solutions. As I understand it, the misunderstanding with Showtime the last time wasn’t that he wanted an unreasonable budget per minute, but rather that the executives just didn’t understand when Lynch tried to explain that the runtime would likely be twice what they thought, and he would thus need more money to accommodate that. Nevins has said that TP:TR was priced quite reasonably for a project of that length, and I think that’s been true of pretty much all Lynch’s productions. As someone else said, Lynch would have little difficulty getting funding from the French as he often has, or receiving a generous budget from a streaming platform in exchange for his marquee value (look at the exorbitant budget Amazon gave Matt Weiner, who is far less of a household name, to do The Romanoffs). Maybe Lynch himself doesn’t realize/believe that (or maybe he’s just making excuses), but in this market someone somewhere would be happy to be associated with his brand.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I would want Ontkean, TMFAP, Desmond and Sam and maybe Donna
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

AgentEcho wrote:That ain't reality folks. Partially its Lynch's own doing because he's fussy about how he works, but if you think David Nevin can get get his bosses to approve any idea Lynch comes to him with and give him total creative freedom and the budget he wants you're not paying attention.
There's a big difference between Lynch having a blank check and Lynch doing the work he wants to do and getting interest from backers.

Lynch has never had to make "Twin Peaks" to get money or projects off the ground, nor has he ever played that game. He's not going to start now. Following Season 3 his critical cachet is at a major high; he has used that to explore only projects or passions he wishes to explore, most of which we're not privvy to. So if he wants to go out and make another movie of any kind I am sure he can explore that, likely with a reasonable budget as usual. But this imaginary line that Lynch is stuck cranking out Twin Peaks-branded project for financing has no actual basis in reality. It's the kind of thing people say to sound cool and cynical but it has no grounding in facts, and certainly none in his historical behavior.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

krishnanspace wrote:I would want Ontkean, TMFAP, Desmond and Sam and maybe Donna
Not gonna happen!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Metamorphia wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I would want Ontkean, TMFAP, Desmond and Sam and maybe Donna
Not gonna happen!
Chet and Sam could pop up! The rest are pretty unlikely.