Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FullBlossomOfTheEve

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by FullBlossomOfTheEve »

I asked the journalist on twitter and she kindly answered my question.

She said that Kyle simply said that "»pour moi, la série est terminée ». which mean that "according to me, the show is over".

If true, it's the first time that I am hearing something that definite from the one of the people involved.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

FullBlossomOfTheEve wrote:I asked the journalist on twitter and she kindly answered my question.

She said that Kyle simply said that "»pour moi, la série est terminée ». which mean that "according to me, the show is over".

If true, it's the first time that I am hearing something that definite from the one of the people involved.
Well, he's right and that's how he should think about it imo.
Unless Lynch&Frost decide otherwise, the series is over for everyone. That is, we should look at what we have (S1, S2, FWWM, MP, TPTR, SDOLP, MLMT, TSHoTP, TFD) without expecting more.If we get anything it will just be a gift from Cthulhu.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Well yeah, it is over. It was a limited series. We can hope and wish that something more will happen, but expecting it would be silly. The Return was never presented as anything other than a one-time event.
FullBlossomOfTheEve wrote:If true, it's the first time that I am hearing something that definite from the one of the people involved.
I think this is more or less what everyone's been saying all along. It's usually worded more along the lines of "never say never", but that essentially means "no", there's just the honest admission that life and creativity are unpredictable and no one knows what might happen.
I'll see you in the trees
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rainwater wrote:Well yeah, it is over. It was a limited series. We can hope and wish that something more will happen, but expecting it would be silly. The Return was never presented as anything other than a one-time event.
FullBlossomOfTheEve wrote:If true, it's the first time that I am hearing something that definite from the one of the people involved.
I think this is more or less what everyone's been saying all along. It's usually worded more along the lines of "never say never", but that essentially means "no", there's just the honest admission that life and creativity are unpredictable and no one knows what might happen.
For what it's worth, I too think that Kyle's wording/statement is the first definitive instance we've had of someone close to the production flat-out stating that it's over. This feels different to me from any quotes that have come before it, as every other quote I've read has been far more open about the series coming back, save perhaps one from Lynch where he stated that Part 18 is the ending, but even that felt ambiguous especially given Lynch's subsequent comments about it calling to him.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

LateReg wrote:For what it's worth, I too think that Kyle's wording/statement is the first definitive instance we've had of someone close to the production flat-out stating that it's over. This feels different to me from any quotes that have come before it, as every other quote I've read has been far more open about the series coming back, save perhaps one from Lynch where he stated that Part 18 is the ending, but even that felt ambiguous especially given Lynch's subsequent comments about it calling to him.
One day 20 years ago I was reading at my desk and came across a quote from David where he said that Twin Peaks was as dead as a doornail. It was such a bummer to read that! The point I'm trying to make is that no one knows what the future holds. Given the road that Twin Peaks has traveled, I remain optimistic.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, I am gonna need more than a thirdhand translated quote from another language on Kyle's personal opinion to count Season 4 out.

And no, this is absolutely not what Lynch or his creative team have been 'saying all along' and a straightforward reading of their many quotes when asked is extremely clear on this.

When Lynch means no, he says no. He did that for almost twenty years when asked about Twin Peaks, until he didn't. When asked about Season 4 he has never said no or it's over. He's said things ranging from "we'll see how this one goes" to "I can't talk about that" to "you never know" to that he has thought of ideas for it and "it would take four years". His producer has said she wants more. That is the exact opposite of "saying all along" there would be no more.

This is not complicated or nuanced, it's cut and dried. There is either a no from the man himself, or there isn't. And there isn't. I have no idea whether Season 4 will really happen. But let's not let our own biases on what we feel would be right for the show get in the way of actual quotes and data.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

He literally says at the beginning of the video he feels there is more to learn about Cooper, and "who knows, maybe someday I'll have that opportunity."
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

N. Needleman wrote:Yeah, I am gonna need more than a thirdhand translated quote from another language on Kyle's personal opinion to count Season 4 out.
I'm not counting anything out either. Nor is Kyle or anyone else, as far as I can tell.
And no, this is absolutely not what Lynch or his creative team have been 'saying all along' and a straightforward reading of their many quotes when asked is extremely clear on this.

When Lynch means no, he says no. He did that for almost twenty years when asked about Twin Peaks, until he didn't. When asked about Season 4 he has never said no or it's over. He's said things ranging from "we'll see how this one goes" to "I can't talk about that" to "you never know" to that he has thought of ideas for it and "it would take four years". His producer has said she wants more. That is the exact opposite of "saying all along" there would be no more.

This is not complicated or nuanced, it's cut and dried. There is either a no from the man himself, or there isn't. And there isn't.
How's this for cut and dried?

“This is the ending” -David Lynch

I think I found the problem. You're a bit confused about the difference between saying no to the very possibility and saying no to having any concrete plans or intentions. I never implied the former, nor did anyone. The latter, on the other hand, has been expressed by everyone all along, yes. Extremely clearly, too, or so I would've thought.
Are you thinking about any film or TV ideas?
Not right now. I’ve got these boxes of ideas and I’m starting to go through them to see if there’s any gold. I could go into film or TV again but Twin Peaks [The Return] took almost five years with the writing and preproduction, shooting, post-. I would want to do another series but it’d involve finding the time. So we’ll see.
He's looking for ideas, as he always has done. Maybe he'll find something for Peaks, maybe not.

Look, I love The Return, and I would love more. I'm going to cry tears of happiness if more is announced. But let's not let our wishful thinking get in the way of actual quotes and data.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Rainwater wrote:“This is the ending” -David Lynch
Yes, you've found the one quote from Lynch that sort of supports your point. The problem with this is it was a response to a question specifically asking about the ending of the season's story. He says, 'this is the ending. You saw the ending.' Meanwhile he has also said, in and around interviews before and after that one, quotes ranging from how he 'can't', 'won't' or 'doesn't' talk in public about whether or not there will be more about Twin Peaks. He has also said re: continuing the story of Carrie Page that there are signals/ideas/noises along with disturbances.

You're trying to find a couple quotes to make you believe he is not or has not actively thought about it. Whether or not it comes to fruition, the larger bulk of evidence goes against that.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

N. Needleman wrote:You're trying to find a couple quotes to make you believe he is not or has not actively thought about it.
No, I'm really not. What a strange interpretation of my post. I'm sure he's thought plenty about it.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
LateReg wrote:For what it's worth, I too think that Kyle's wording/statement is the first definitive instance we've had of someone close to the production flat-out stating that it's over. This feels different to me from any quotes that have come before it, as every other quote I've read has been far more open about the series coming back, save perhaps one from Lynch where he stated that Part 18 is the ending, but even that felt ambiguous especially given Lynch's subsequent comments about it calling to him.
One day 20 years ago I was reading at my desk and came across a quote from David where he said that Twin Peaks was as dead as a doornail. It was such a bummer to read that! The point I'm trying to make is that no one knows what the future holds. Given the road that Twin Peaks has traveled, I remain optimistic.
Yeah, no doubt about it, I agree. I'm just saying that whether Kyle is right or wrong or misspoke or was mistranslated, it is the first time that something he said was printed that sounded more like "no" than "maybe." I'm not taking that as definitive at all, just pointing out that it would mark the first time that someone close to production has said it in such a way, including when Lynch said Part 18 was the ending, as I took that as him speaking about the closed-off/feature-film nature of The Return itself. So yeah. I'm not taking it one way or another, just pointing out that it wasn't quite said that way before. I don't take it as signifying anything, though.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I enjoyed watching the interview. I’d love to see a Season 4, but if it doesn’t happen, I wonder if anyone would be interested in adapting Twin Peaks into a play for Broadway. I don’t know if Lynch/Frost would be into that or give their blessing to someone to try, but my inner geek would love to see someone take a shot at it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Hester Prynne wrote:I enjoyed watching the interview. I’d love to see a Season 4, but if it doesn’t happen, I wonder if anyone would be interested in adapting Twin Peaks into a play for Broadway. I don’t know if Lynch/Frost would be into that or give their blessing to someone to try, but my inner geek would love to see someone take a shot at it.
Why not? They've made musicals out of Beetlejuice and Heather's and American Psycho...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:I enjoyed watching the interview. I’d love to see a Season 4, but if it doesn’t happen, I wonder if anyone would be interested in adapting Twin Peaks into a play for Broadway. I don’t know if Lynch/Frost would be into that or give their blessing to someone to try, but my inner geek would love to see someone take a shot at it.
Why not? They've made musicals out of Beetlejuice and Heather's and American Psycho...
Well, Frost did say that he was writing a play nowadays