Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

bob_wooler wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Maybe Lynch could do Season Four and Frost could direct a spin-off series?
The Fusco brothers being the natural choice for the spin-off.
Blue Rose Cases Spinoff
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:I dont think Lynch/Frost productions is dissolved. The logo was shown at the end of every episode of Season 3
The original legal entity was dissolved in the 1990s, because they wouldn’t keep putting money into a company that no longer served any purpose. They presumably formed a new company that looks just like the old one for TP:TR, but it’s technically a new company they had to set up and register. It’s like two people with the same name, or the fact that the United Artists that exists today is not the same company Charlie Chaplin & co. founded in 1919. This stuff gets complicated and isn’t worth thinking about too much, but my point is, there are many potential legal/financial reasons they would have formed RR as a production company to handle a production that spanned several years, none of them are particularly interesting, and I wouldn’t read anything into it re: a new season. I wouldn’t be particularly surprised if Lynch just spontaneously designed the logo one night and decided it looked cool.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The “narcissist” comment was in response to someone else’s tweet about Frost’s favorite political target who will remain nameless here. He was comparing an experience in his past to current events. There’s no way it was about Lynch, he would never say that he worked for Lynch. And, again, in terms of Lynch “taking over” the show, Mark was very vocal in his praise of Lynch’s direction on the show long after the full show had aired, calling him one of the best directors alive and putting him in a class with Hitchcock, IIRC. I’m pretty confident that’s not the issue, if there is even an issue.
All of this seems correct, and echoes what I said before regarding that tweet. "For" vs. "With." I too figured it was about the political figure.

And your second point is more valuable. There very well may have been a falling out, but I believe that Frost 100% knew that Lynch would be the "MAN" on this thing from day one. And while it was airing I was pleased to see Frost's praise for Lynch, considering how un-Frost in structure the series seemed. I really think Frost was on board with creating something with the potential to change TV again (as Frost himself said in the buildup to the series premiere), and I think part of that is knowing that Lynch's preoccupations 1992 - 2006 would lead the series in directions that Frost might not have come up with on his own. In other words, it always seemed to me that an older, wiser Frost would have always accepted his place as the less popular name, and understood that Lynch's working methods would alter the script.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Agent Earle wrote:
Jacob wrote: Bring Bob Engels back !
And Harley Peyton!
Peyton was basically Frost's second in command, so if Frost is not coming back, Peyon is not coming back either.

Another theory : maybe, I was thinking about it last night, the riff between Frost and Lynch is a double bad news. Because if Frost aint gonna work with Lynch again, it’s because he wants season 4 to happen soon and Lynch is still thinking about something else (shaving Laura Dern’s head for exemple). It would be the worst possibility.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

bosguy1981 wrote: I doubt we're getting any more Twin Peaks story but I think the only way it happens is if Lynch writes it alone. And I suspect if he wants to, he's going to have Sabrina Sutherland email Mark Frost as a courtesy to say "Just so you know, David is writing new Twin Peaks, but he wants this to be his own vision this time." Cold right? But I think that's kinda where things are at.
This would be a dream come true. I was always against the idea of Frost, a man with no doubt certain qualities but nowhere close to the genius of DKL, to be a second showrunner. Moreover, the idea of two captains doesn't work to begin with for a creative enterprise.

If MF is sidelined, the show will only improve as a result. We know from history (or at least that's my opinion) that Lynch is capable of producing even better material on his own (such as Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire).

It is funny that I never believed in the perfect marriage between the two. I wrote about these doubts in the pasts. People were not just disagreeing, but getting angry over this opinion/feeling! It was always opvious to me that DKL en MF are on very different levels and there is very little reason for them to work together (unless MF writes the shooting scripts and reports to the boss).
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

mtwentz wrote:Well, if Lynch is upset that Frost wrote a couple of books, that would be petty.
Why would this be petty? If you put years and years of your life in a creation, it would only make sense not to mess around with it.

Lynch was not petty at all, but rather too lenient. If I were him, I would not have allowed these books to be published.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

N. Needleman wrote: And Lynch has always been a proponent of remembering things the way he wants to, not necessarily how they happened. That holds to today with his recent comments about the first two seasons which I don't believe for a second.
He said S2 sucked and you don't believe him for a second :shock: . Never underestimate the power of denial.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Rhodes wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: And Lynch has always been a proponent of remembering things the way he wants to, not necessarily how they happened. That holds to today with his recent comments about the first two seasons which I don't believe for a second.
He said S2 sucked and you don't believe him for a second :shock: . Never underestimate the power of denial.
The point was he worked heavily on the first half of Season 2 and was very involved then - more than he cares to remember. You are entitled to your opinion and feelings.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

All we can do here is speculate. Based on what we know, it is probably a safe guess that any potential season 4 would begin the way season 3 began--- with a lengthy series of conversations between Frost and Lynch. With Season 3 it took a year of conversations between Lynch and Frost before they even decided they had enough of a basis to move forward on the project (and only then they began the process of writing thing). Based on what everyone has said about a potential new season, from Showtime to Lynch and Frost themselves, Lynch and Frost probably did start discussions about what they might do with Season 4.

I recall Lynch's comments about Carrie Page... she's calling but there are disturbances, to paraphrase. Could "disturbances" refer to disagreements between Lynch and Frost about the direction of season 4?

Frost offered up an explanation for the end of Season 3 in "The Final Dossier". That explanation, that Cooper's actions created an altered timeline in which Laura disappeared instead of getting murdered, would seem, should one take the book to be "canon", to offer a potential premise for Season 4. I could imagine Frost may have had an interest in keeping that intact and Lynch, whom we all know can be very stubborn, may have had no interest in a premise set up by the book.

Again all speculation, but I'd guess the talks just broke down and Frost was probably not that thrilled about it.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Rhodes wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote: I doubt we're getting any more Twin Peaks story but I think the only way it happens is if Lynch writes it alone. And I suspect if he wants to, he's going to have Sabrina Sutherland email Mark Frost as a courtesy to say "Just so you know, David is writing new Twin Peaks, but he wants this to be his own vision this time." Cold right? But I think that's kinda where things are at.
This would be a dream come true. I was always against the idea of Frost, a man with no doubt certain qualities but nowhere close to the genius of DKL, to be a second showrunner. Moreover, the idea of two captains doesn't work to begin with for a creative enterprise.

If MF is sidelined, the show will only improve as a result. We know from history (or at least that's my opinion) that Lynch is capable of producing even better material on his own (such as Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire).

It is funny that I never believed in the perfect marriage between the two. I wrote about these doubts in the pasts. People were not just disagreeing, but getting angry over this opinion/feeling! It was always opvious to me that DKL en MF are on very different levels and there is very little reason for them to work together (unless MF writes the shooting scripts and reports to the boss).
Lynch would never even try to write an entire season all by his own. He can't do it and he knows it. It's far, far more difficut (and exhausting) than to write a a feature film. Plus, without Frost, there would be no season 3 since he was the one who initiate it.

The only way Lynch could write season 4 without a co-writer would be if he write it on the fly like INLAND EMPIRE, basically day by day, just before the shooting. It would be a hell of a ride :lol: But Showtime obviously will never allow it.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

AgentEcho wrote:All we can do here is speculate. Based on what we know, it is probably a safe guess that any potential season 4 would begin the way season 3 began--- with a lengthy series of conversations between Frost and Lynch. With Season 3 it took a year of conversations between Lynch and Frost before they even decided they had enough of a basis to move forward on the project (and only then they began the process of writing thing). Based on what everyone has said about a potential new season, from Showtime to Lynch and Frost themselves, Lynch and Frost probably did start discussions about what they might do with Season 4.

I recall Lynch's comments about Carrie Page... she's calling but there are disturbances, to paraphrase. Could "disturbances" refer to disagreements between Lynch and Frost about the direction of season 4?

Frost offered up an explanation for the end of Season 3 in "The Final Dossier". That explanation, that Cooper's actions created an altered timeline in which Laura disappeared instead of getting murdered, would seem, should one take the book to be "canon", to offer a potential premise for Season 4. I could imagine Frost may have had an interest in keeping that intact and Lynch, whom we all know can be very stubborn, may have had no interest in a premise set up by the book.

Again all speculation, but I'd guess the talks just broke down and Frost was probably not that thrilled about it.
Or maybe Lynch wants season 4 to be full Gordon Cole, Monica Belluci and the french woman :lol:
That's why he's a narcissist :roll:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

My guess, based on no empirical data whatsoever, is that the “narcissist” comment was about whoever was running The Six Million Dollar Man when Mark was on the show. He was extremely lucky to get a staff job on a hit show as his first gig (apparently through the intervention of Steve Bochko), but Mark found the experience so disillusioning he went back to Minnesota after a year and didn’t have another writing credit in Hollywood until Bochko hired him on Hill Street Blues some six years later.

But it could also be in reference to any number of directors, publishers or producers he’s worked for, or someone he worked for before he broke into show business.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Jacob wrote: Lynch would never even try to write an entire season all by his own. He can't do it and he knows it. It's far, far more difficut (and exhausting) than to write a a feature film. Plus, without Frost, there would be no season 3 since he was the one who initiate it..
Making a series is never a one-man-job. I certainly don't think it is.

All I am saying is that Lynch should be the one (and ONLY one) ultimately calling the shots. He should be completely free to go in any direction with the story that seems right for him, without having to compromize whatsoever or without having to keep MF on board.

Of course, it's no problem when he works with some writers (either MF or other writers) who suggest him some possible dialogues for example.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’m a huge Lynch fan and think much of his best work was written alone. But the idea that Frost was in some way holding him back on TP:TR is 100% wrong IMO. I’m fairly certain the key concepts of Part 8, particulary the bomb detonation, came from Frost and then were brilliantly cinematically realized by Lynch. We would not have had one of the most incredible hours in history without Frost, and I’m sure there are many other instances throughiut the show, although the two have generally declined to discuss who came up with specific ideas.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

This does not contradict my take on things at all.

I am not denying that MF is capable of generating an interesting idea. Of course, Lynch can use all kinds of suggestions made by others. But he should be in charge and decide what ideas to use and what ideas not to use.

(Moreover, I don't think the idea of a bomb detonation is particularly interesting. As you say, it is the brilliant cinematic realization that makes it so epic. Executed differently, it might be totally lame.)

So yes, I do see great potential danger in an artist being held back when he is not in ful creative control. If the show didn't suffer from this, it is because of Lynch's stubbornness (or narcistic nature, if you will). But for season 4, it would be better if there is no unclarity about the chain of command.

A related point: S3 turned out great (much better than the other seasons), but we will never know it Lynch was held back or not. We don't know how the season would have turned out without the presence of MF. It is very possible that some compromizes were actually made and that DKL would have preferred to do certain things differently. Again, he produced even greater things on his own, so this might no be coincidental (although I loved, loved, loved S3, it did not meet my sky high expectations 100%).