What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Re: What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Snailhead wrote:I think I need to give Part 9 another chance. That one has always been my least favourite - it just bores me. The Farm scene never really stood out to me, so now I'm excited to see it again, knowing it's someone else's favourite.
It's just weird. Mr. C is like a lion on a lift when they bring him up, the very notion of him being hoisted up there on a platform is ridiculous somehow. They're so cocky and certain about what's to come that it's just sad. They simply have no idea what kind of trouble they're inviting into the belly of their hideout. Then there's the accountant asking Mr. C if he needs any money while he's right in the middle of torturing Ray... what the fuck! The guys all gathered 'round watching the interrogation on the big screen, that's classic. And Mr. C basically telling Ray, "yeah I already know that", after blowing his brains out, that's some ruthless narcissism.
Snailhead wrote: I re-watched Part 7 last night and the scene where Diane talks to the Doppelganger in jail is one of those scenes that was powerful the first time around and is just as powerful now. I don't know how anyone could have ever interpreted it as anything other than Diane confronting her rapist. Regardless of the blonde Diane being a tulpa / having sporadic allegiance to the Doppelganger, that scene plus the one in part 16 where she talks about the rape are some of the "realest" emotional moments of the show. I know S3 operates on so many levels, but I have often viewed a lot of it through the lens of Coop being in denial about the fact that he's a rapist... kind of like FWWM complicates the idea that Leland was innocent, Part 18 for me similarly complicates the idea that Coop is totally innocent regarding the Doppelganger's crimes.
Yesterday I was doing yardwork for hours and at one point, revisited the tragic notion that I entertained while the show was airing: Mr. C is nothing more than a destroyed Coop and therefore a "look at what could have been" of the worst kind, implying that everyone has the capacity for evil, while the newly emerged Cooper represents a resurfacing of his dormant conscience, implying that everyone can overcome their demons.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Snailhead wrote:I think I need to give Part 9 another chance. That one has always been my least favourite - it just bores me. The Farm scene never really stood out to me, so now I'm excited to see it again, knowing it's someone else's favourite.
It's just weird. Mr. C is like a lion on a lift when they bring him up, the very notion of him being hoisted up there on a platform is ridiculous somehow. They're so cocky and certain about what's to come that it's just sad. They simply have no idea what kind of trouble they're inviting into the belly of their hideout. Then there's the accountant asking Mr. C if he needs any money while he's right in the middle of torturing Ray... what the fuck! The guys all gathered 'round watching the interrogation on the big screen, that's classic. And Mr. C basically telling Ray, "yeah I already know that", after blowing his brains out, that's some ruthless narcissism.
Wrong Farm. Episode 9 is the actual farm with real farmers where Mr. C meets Chantal and Hutch.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mister11

Post by mister11 »

It's either the scene where Take Five is playing and Cooper is trying to eat a pancake, because it made me laugh extremely hard, or the scene in the Fireman's castle.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Wrong Farm. Episode 9 is the actual farm with real farmers where Mr. C meets Chantal and Hutch.
That's what I was going to say. Part 13 is what Mr. Strawberry is describing where the arm wrestling takes place. That warehouse is the actual place they call "The Farm," right? The farm in Part 9 is just a farm. It's a place Mr. C knows about, but not a place that the rest of those criminals know about.

If I HAD to choose, then I think Part 9 is the most "boring" part, but that could be because it comes right after Part 8. This return to a business as usual approach could be part of the intentional subversion of expectations, or it could be because expectations go through the roof after Part 8. Regardless, Part 9 is still great, and it has some of my favorite moments. Mr. C stumbling down the road covered in blood in the opening, the loose and comedic smoking scene, Bobby acquiring that humming thing and acting like a little kid when knows how to open it (with the burnt down mill in the background), and more. All great stuff.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Ohhhhhh you meant that scene, from Part 13. In which case, YES that is a brilliant scene - I was indeed referring to the farm where Coop meets Chantal & Hutch.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Snailhead wrote:Ohhhhhh you meant that scene, from Part 13. In which case, YES that is a brilliant scene - I was indeed referring to the farm where Coop meets Chantal & Hutch.
Yeah, I thought you must have been referring to the scene in the hideout, because the scene on an actual farm is really short and not much happens in it.

But while we're talking about Part 9, there were some great moments, like when Bobby is messing with Hawk and Truman by standing back and saying nothing as they try to figure out what the hell they have in their hands.