The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by Andromedeaux »

LateReg wrote:
Andromedeaux wrote:
Given all that you both wrote, and great points btw, I still wonder about the contribution of these so-called bad episodes and subplots to the Twin Peaks world at large. I'll make the argument that they are in fact bad in this context: Most of those subplots (Dick Tremayne and little Nicky, Evelyn Marsh, Audrey's BF come to mind) seemed concerted attempts to make this palatable or commercially successful while retaining the TP "feels"; but those subplots went nowhere and we ended up back Lynch's brain in the last episode. We are all accustomed to subplots going nowhere as we are Lynch fans. In The Return unresolved and inexplicable subplots are there ostensibly for the sake of being unresolved and it's a cruel trick but one that I love. I love the randomness of it, like I love Clickhole, and other forms that fuck with expectations.

Season 2 BS Subplots (S2BSSP) went nowhere but as if to weave some standard TV writing into Twin Peaks in desperation or even an attempt to profit off former success. I do wonder how bad they would have become and how hackneyed the formula would have been during a hypothetical S3 in 1992. But we got FWWM instead and I'm so thankful for that because it is my favorite of all.
I agree with all that. Billy Zane's purpose in the plot is very much manufactured and one of the worst elements, imo. Evelyn Marsh is the most hated aspect of the series for obvious reasons, and in those moments the show is spinning its wheels in a way that has little to do with anything of consequence in an attempt to give a character something to do. Little Nicky is a small blemish to me, but I love Dick Tremayne so much that he gets me through it. All of those moments are bad in my opinion, because of and beyond reasons you suggest. But what I'd point out is that those moments only occur in less than a third of the season's episodes, and even then there are sequences in each of those episodes that provide some level of mystery. So yeah, I think there's some bad stuff, but I also think that there's enough good stuff - mysterious plot related stuff, funny asides and character moments - in most of the episodes that the season balances out to a win, gradually regaining momentum around episode 25 or so. Which is all to say that other than a handful of bad episodes, I think the season is a bit better than its reputation suggests. In its stretch of episodes from 17 thru 28, it doesn't feel all that much different from a lot of that period's decent TV, and still more creative than some of today's prestige programs.
+10

Goddamnit the brains on this forum... the braiiinnsss!!!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Took me 7 months to get an answer but here it is. I thought I'd share
Attachments
harley.jpg
harley.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 10683 times
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Took me 7 months to get an answer but here it is. I thought I'd share
Who's Harley?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Took me 7 months to get an answer but here it is. I thought I'd share
Who's Harley?
Harley Peyton, writer and producer from the original series
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Who's Harley?
Harley Peyton, writer and producer from the original series
Oh... for some reason I remembered his name as Harry Peyton
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

The trailer for US reminded me of Twin Peaks for some reason. Has anybody seen it?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Thanks! That’s a nice Christmas gift to us all, from you and Harley. There’s been a lot of speculation about the various symbols on the map, astrological and Native American, and how much canonical weight should be given to them. I had always kind of assumed the map was designed by a set/prop person, perhaps with guidance from Peyton/Engels. It’s interesting that Harley’s recollection is that it came directly from L/F!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Glad to be of help.
The question of whom incorporated those petroglyphs in the map was bugging me ever since Jasper made those discoveries. I dare now say it's a pretty safe bet it was indeed Frost. I don't see Lynch using that kind material into his work, but he probably gave the green light for Frost to do so. Next chance we get, we should direct questions at Frost asking if there's any connection with that area, the mythology/history of those petroglyphs, or what inspired him to use those in particular.

And yeah, merry x-mas :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Cool. BTW Merry Christmas people!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Glad to be of help.
The question of whom incorporated those petroglyphs in the map was bugging me ever since Jasper made those discoveries. I dare now say it's a pretty safe bet it was indeed Frost. I don't see Lynch using that kind material into his work, but he probably gave the green light for Frost to do so.
For sure. Although I could definitely see Lynch as the one who asked Frost to add the astrological symbols for the planets even though it doesn’t make any sense for them to be in an ancient petroglyph!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Oh wow, I totally missed those posts on the glyphs. Seeing the odd abstract sygil I thought had no real substance other than looking quasi-native for all these years on an actual rock made my head spin.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Just pictured the next season of Twin Peaks filmed in black and white using 1940s equipment, with Deming and Badalamenti providing a classic film tone to complement. Cooper surreptitiously obtaining clues while getting a haircut at the barbershop, James and Big Ed engaging in sensational brawling with bootleggers, Andy giving emotional speeches to the officers, Mr. C slapstick at The Farm, that kind of stuff.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

^^
Attachments
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg (195.7 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg (201.5 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Maybe I've had too much wine, but when I first saw her face (sans body) for a split second I thought "Denise?"
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Saturn's child wrote:Maybe I've had too much wine, but when I first saw her face (sans body) for a split second I thought "Denise?"
I'm stone sober and I had the exact same thought. Assumed it was some sort of joke mock up referencing Duchovny and Red Shoe Diaries or something.