Season 1 episode 7 script

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 1 episode 7 script

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Here it is!

Couple of Frostian tidbits: the 8/09/74 cocktail umbrella references Nixon’s resignation rather than “Mimsy” (I noticed the date “coincidence” when I was assembling my timeline), and Audrey tells Blackie her name is Marilyn.

Edit: Just so people don’t think I clumsily left it out, the copy I bought has a blank last page, and cuts off abruptly before the very end of the episode. I wonder if the last page was left out of copies of the script to keep the final cliffhanger from leaking?
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Here it is!
Thank you! :D
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Couple of Frostian tidbits: the 8/09/74 cocktail umbrella references Nixon’s resignation rather than “Mimsy” (I noticed the date “coincidence” when I was assembling my timeline), and Audrey tells Blackie her name is Marilyn.

Edit: Just so people don’t think I clumsily left it out, the copy I bought has a blank last page, and cuts off abruptly before the very end of the episode. I wonder if the last page was left out of copies of the script to keep the final cliffhanger from leaking?
I'm glad it was legit! Thanks so much for sharing. :D
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Thank you!
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Thanks for posting this. Random minor thing that jumped out at me: Tommy "The Hawk" Hill.

The mysterious figure outside the Hayward house is kind of crazy to think about. I wonder if this figure was intended to be Leland, which might be a bit of a stretch, considering he just strangled Jacques (and not to mention attacked Jacoby, although that wasn't established as him at the time). Maybe at the time of writing this, the shadowy figure was intended to be separate from Leland. So Leland kills Jacques in a fit of misguided vengeance, but the shadowy, gloved figure stalks Maddy as Laura, attacks Jacoby, then follows Maddy back to the Hayward house...?

Just interesting to think about when trying to deduce the moment Mark and David decided that Leland was the killer. I always assumed they had decided on Leland by the time of Laura's funeral episode (with Hawk's comments on multiple souls while Leland walks as if in a trance), but this script is making me question that.

Also 'ASIAN MAN' seems to pop up again right before Cooper is shot. I think that character just ended up being Catherine/Tojimura's assistant next season, but this almost seems to suggest something bigger for him. I wonder if Mark had anything different in mind for this character.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cappy wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Random minor thing that jumped out at me: Tommy "The Hawk" Hill.

The mysterious figure outside the Hayward house is kind of crazy to think about. I wonder if this figure was intended to be Leland, which might be a bit of a stretch, considering he just strangled Jacques (and not to mention attacked Jacoby, although that wasn't established as him at the time). Maybe at the time of writing this, the shadowy figure was intended to be separate from Leland. So Leland kills Jacques in a fit of misguided vengeance, but the shadowy, gloved figure stalks Maddy as Laura, attacks Jacoby, then follows Maddy back to the Hayward house...?

Just interesting to think about when trying to deduce the moment Mark and David decided that Leland was the killer. I always assumed they had decided on Leland by the time of Laura's funeral episode (with Hawk's comments on multiple souls while Leland walks as if in a trance), but this script is making me question that.
I also always interpreted Sarah’s “Don’t ruin this too” in the funeral scene as a veiled reference to Leland molesting Laura.

The masked figure goes back to Episode 2, where he was probably not intended to be Leland (and, notably, was not in the script...an on-set improvisation by Lynch perhaps?). My guess is that when they brought him back for E7, he was meant to be the same person who was backing up Leo in E2. It’s possible that they knew Leland was Laura’s killer by this point, but the masked figure was meant to be someone else entirely. I’d guess that Leland only assumed the ski-mask guy’s identity when they started plotting S2. I wonder if L/F had an idea for who it was in E2 and E7, or if it was just a stock suspense trope and they planned to fill in who it was later. Also an interesting point: the person who shoots Cooper is wearing the same gloves as both the ski-mask assailant and Leland when he suffocates Jacques. Part of me thinks that Lynch just threw the shadowy figure into E2 on the day without any idea who it was, and Mark took the ball and ran with it in E7, having fun with the goofy soap opera of it all (as is the case with a lot of E7), without having made any firm decisions about who either the assailant or the shooter were at this point.
Also 'ASIAN MAN' seems to pop up again right before Cooper is shot. I think that character just ended up being Catherine/Tojimura's assistant next season, but this almost seems to suggest something bigger for him. I wonder if Mark had anything different in mind for this character.
In the script for E8, it says we see “the Asian Man we saw checking into the hotel in 006” making a call in the lobby. In the episode as shot, we see Mak Takano (Jonathan) in that E8 scene, not Derick Shimatsu (“Asian Man”). Notably, Shimatsu was the brother of Paula Shimatsu-u, unit publicist on TP and Mark Frost’s assistant; and he has a scant four acting credits on his IMDB page. My guess is the “Asian Man” in S1 was meant to be the character that became Jonathan (as indicated in the E8 script), but Shimatsu was a placeholder actor. Once it became a substantial speaking role in S2, they probably wanted to cast a more experienced actor. Maybe to throw Shimatsu a bone, they retconned “his” character to be Catherine’s valet so he could continue to appear, but his earlier appearances make little sense in this context (he’s seen checking in in E6 in the scene immediately after Catherine learns about the insurance policy, so it’s possible albeit unlikely that she was already setting the stage for her faked death and reemergence as Tojamura). It’s also worth noting that during the shooting of the final scene of E7 (as seen in the raw footage on the bootleg that has been circulating for years), the caller actually has dialogue which is not present in this script. Mark (who also plays the shooter) asks Cooper to meet him downstairs in twenty minutes, and I’ve always assumed this caller was meant to be the “Asian Man” (obviously retconned to Andy in the finished edit).

God, I love this stuff!
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: The masked figure goes back to Episode 2, where he was probably not intended to be Leland (and, notably, was not in the script...an on-set improvisation by Lynch perhaps?). My guess is that when they brought him back for E7, he was meant to be the same person who was backing up Leo in E2. It’s possible that they knew Leland was Laura’s killer by this point, but the masked figure was meant to be someone else entirely. I’d guess that Leland only assumed the ski-mask guy’s identity when they started plotting S2. I wonder if L/F had an idea for who it was in E2 and E7, or if it was just a stock suspense trope and they planned to fill in who it was later. Also an interesting point: the person who shoots Cooper is wearing the same gloves as both the ski-mask assailant and Leland when he suffocates Jacques. Part of me thinks that Lynch just threw the shadowy figure into E2 on the day without any idea who it was, and Mark took the ball and ran with it in E7, having fun with the goofy soap opera of it all (as is the case with a lot of E7), without having made any firm decisions about who either the assailant or the shooter were at this point.
Also, didn't the Brad Dukes book (or was it another book?) confirm that because of Lynch's Wild at Heart shooting schedule, the episodes in season 1 were filmed in this order: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 2, 7.

So that means Lynch and Frost actually filmed their season 1 episodes back-to-back and maybe the two scenes with the mysterious masked man may have been filmed just days apart or something. Makes you wonder if the proximity of one and the other had something to do with Lynch adding that person into episode 2?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: The masked figure goes back to Episode 2, where he was probably not intended to be Leland (and, notably, was not in the script...an on-set improvisation by Lynch perhaps?). My guess is that when they brought him back for E7, he was meant to be the same person who was backing up Leo in E2. It’s possible that they knew Leland was Laura’s killer by this point, but the masked figure was meant to be someone else entirely. I’d guess that Leland only assumed the ski-mask guy’s identity when they started plotting S2. I wonder if L/F had an idea for who it was in E2 and E7, or if it was just a stock suspense trope and they planned to fill in who it was later. Also an interesting point: the person who shoots Cooper is wearing the same gloves as both the ski-mask assailant and Leland when he suffocates Jacques. Part of me thinks that Lynch just threw the shadowy figure into E2 on the day without any idea who it was, and Mark took the ball and ran with it in E7, having fun with the goofy soap opera of it all (as is the case with a lot of E7), without having made any firm decisions about who either the assailant or the shooter were at this point.
Also, didn't the Brad Dukes book (or was it another book?) confirm that because of Lynch's Wild at Heart shooting schedule, the episodes in season 1 were filmed in this order: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 2, 7.

So that means Lynch and Frost actually filmed their season 1 episodes back-to-back and maybe the two scenes with the mysterious masked man may have been filmed just days apart or something. Makes you wonder if the proximity of one and the other had something to do with Lynch adding that person into episode 2?
Woah, that's really neat if true! Interesting!
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

LateReg wrote:
Woah, that's really neat if true! Interesting!
Yeah, I think when somebody finally revealed that production order, it made us all realize that Miguel Ferrer and David Patrick Kelly were not really, really confused men. They had both given interviews over the years where they mentioned their first scenes filmed on Twin Peaks were scenes other than the Lynch-directed stuff in episode 2 and it always seemed confusing until finally it was mentioned Lynch's episode 2 was filmed a bit later than others in the first season.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yep, most of episode two was the last filmed. Like all One Eyed Jacks set stuff was still being built while other episodes were filming. I’ll have to hunt down my schedule shooting lists, but I think a lot of the finale and episode two were overlapping to some degree.

And thanks for providing the coveted episode seven script. Man, that first season was tight!

Obviously the most interesting aspect to me was how they beefed up the Cooper Audrey romance between script development and filming and then editing. With him finding and commenting on her note, and the changing of the order to give her the penultimate cliffhanger.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Audrey Horne wrote:Yep, most of episode two was the last filmed. Like all One Eyed Jacks set stuff was still being built while other episodes were filming. I’ll have to hunt down my schedule shooting lists, but I think a lot of the finale and episode two were overlapping to some degree.
Fascinating! I either didn’t know or forgot this, although I did know that all the OEJ stuff by DKL, Deschanel and Frost was shot on the same couple nights due to having limited access to the location.

Oddly, Duwayne Dunham has consistently spoken of DKL starting to direct E2 right after Dunham finished E1...although Dunham also talks as if he edited E2 and the rest of S1, which of course is untrue, so maybe his memory is not the most reliable. (For example, see this interview: https://25yearslatersite.com/2018/08/07 ... rker-more/)

If E2 and E7 were shot contemporaneously, then I definitely don’t think the ski mask person was meant to be Leland! Wonder if they had an idea who it was.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yeah, definitely not Leland. Or definitely not NOT Leland. I think given the nature of what they were planning with the show it was a means to be a possible good avenue to explore down the line on who it could be. It was a soap opera mystery and was going to be on all accounts even if they got past the LP murder, so they might have just thought of the man as X to be used for anything down the line.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Audrey Horne wrote:Yeah, definitely not Leland. Or definitely not NOT Leland. I think given the nature of what they were planning with the show it was a means to be a possible good avenue to explore down the line on who it could be. It was a soap opera mystery and was going to be on all accounts even if they got past the LP murder, so they might have just thought of the man as X to be used for anything down the line.
That’s my guess too. Interesting that it ended being arguably three separate characters (Leland, Josie, and whoever that was in E2...although the argument could be made that it was Leland stalking Leo in E2, since Leo never acknowledges that he has anyone with him and might just think Bobby is trying to distract/scare him).
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
That’s my guess too. Interesting that it ended being arguably three separate characters (Leland, Josie, and whoever that was in E2...although the argument could be made that it was Leland stalking Leo in E2, since Leo never acknowledges that he has anyone with him and might just think Bobby is trying to distract/scare him).
I actually always assumed the masked figure in Episode 2 was Jacques since Jacques was Leo's most known accomplice in Season 1, and it seemed to me that Leo WAS aware of his presence. But, in hindsight, I doubt Frost/Lynch ever gave it much thought.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

dkenny78 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I actually always assumed the masked figure in Episode 2 was Jacques since Jacques was Leo's most known accomplice in Season 1, and it seemed to me that Leo WAS aware of his presence. But, in hindsight, I doubt Frost/Lynch ever gave it much thought.
That was always my impression, too. It was only when this conversation started that I went back and rewatched that scene from E2, and realized Leo’s response could be read ambiguously.