Is this board closing?

Details of site updates and a place to add feedback

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Is this board closing?

Post by dreamshake »

My friend was trying to register but I guess registration is closed and there's a message that the board will be closing soon. Is this true? really would hate to lose all the posts on here.
Last edited by dreamshake on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Re: IS this board closing?

Post by dreamshake »

ah cool. move the thread but don't answer the question.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I moved it and I don't know the answer to the question.

Maybe give more than two hours for a reply.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Jerry Horne wrote:I moved it and I don't know the answer to the question.

Maybe give more than two hours for a reply.
it's beyond fair to think mods would know more about this situation
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Is this board closing?

Post by Jasper »

dreamshake wrote:My friend was trying to register but I guess registration is closed and there's a message that the board will be closing soon.
What exactly does this message say? When I'm not logged in I can't immediately see any way to register, but maybe it's there and it's just eluding me. If I'm understanding correctly, I'd need to attempt to register to see this message, but if there's no way to register, how did your friend see this message?

Regardless of what's actually going on, it would certainly suck to lose this board and all of our posts. If such a thing were to happen, I hope that we'd get some warning so that we could perhaps cobble something together using the same board type and migrate active and semi-active users over there, and ideally migrate Jerry Horne over there as mod as well, because he does a great job with it and inspires trust. If something is going on (and that's a big if), it's certainly not Jerry's fault if he hasn't been informed about the situation.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Heh! Thanks for the kind words Jasper!

I misspoke when I said I didn't know what was going on. I should have said that I'd rather let Dugpa comment if he feels like it.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Jasper wrote:
dreamshake wrote:My friend was trying to register but I guess registration is closed and there's a message that the board will be closing soon.
What exactly does this message say? When I'm not logged in I can't immediately see any way to register, but maybe it's there and it's just eluding me. If I'm understanding correctly, I'd need to attempt to register to see this message, but if there's no way to register, how did your friend see this message?

Regardless of what's actually going on, it would certainly suck to lose this board and all of our posts. If such a thing were to happen, I hope that we'd get some warning so that we could perhaps cobble something together using the same board type and migrate active and semi-active users over there, and ideally migrate Jerry Horne over there as mod as well, because he does a great job with it and inspires trust. If something is going on (and that's a big if), it's certainly not Jerry's fault if he hasn't been informed about the situation.
It's on the contact us page.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

"New User Registration has been disabled. We will no longer be accepting new memberships as the board will be closing in the near future."

Looks like someone edited this message and changed it from "closing soon" to the "closing in the near future" since I made this thread and after some digging I found a thread on reddit that said a similar message has been in place since last year, but instead said it would close at the end of (last) year. here's the link to that https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... gpa_forum/.

As a former forum mod, I understand that this is a labor of love but I think there's some responsibility to let users know what's going on. This is a community after all. If this place is closing, we should know why and not have to wait until the site admin "feels like" telling us.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I just want to say: please NO, don't close this forum! It's a wonderfull place, I visit daily. It's, as far as I know, the best place on the web tot read great insightfull discussions about Twin Peaks and Lynch...

A special word of thanks to the mods, Jerry in particular, is appropriate here.

Signed, a massive fan of this board from Belgium who doesn't post an awfull lot but does enjoy it daily!

X
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

dreamshake wrote:It's on the contact us page.
Indeed it is. :(
So, I suppose that it's all true and that it's not a matter of if, but rather when.

This is such a great board of (usually) well-behaved people with a lot of knowledge and insight. It's also a rich repository of information and theories.

I'll reiterate my hope that we're granted a decent amount of warning so that we can assemble (and advertise) something that will allow the active members to migrate to new forum in an orderly fashion and continue our discussions in more-or-less the manner to which we've become accustomed. It would be a real shame to lose the existing content, but it would be an even greater shame to lose the collection of minds behind said content.

While I'm still hoping that the board doesn't actually close down, I'd certainly say that it's Dugpa's right to shutter the board for any reason he deems appropriate. We can only thank him for the creation of this community in the first place, and for keeping it going for a long time. I enjoyed periodically lurking here for years before I ever registered.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Jasper wrote:
Indeed it is. :(
So, I suppose that it's all true and that it's not a matter of if, but rather when.

This is such a great board of (usually) well-behaved people with a lot of knowledge and insight. It's also a rich repository of information and theories.

I'll reiterate my hope that we're granted a decent amount of warning so that we can assemble (and advertise) something that will allow the active members to migrate to new forum in an orderly fashion and continue our discussions in more-or-less the manner to which we've become accustomed. It would be a real shame to lose the existing content, but it would be an even greater shame to lose the collection of minds behind said content.

While I'm still hoping that the board doesn't actually close down, I'd certainly say that it's Dugpa's right to shutter the board for any reason he deems appropriate. We can only thank him for the creation of this community in the first place, and for keeping it going for a long time. I enjoyed periodically lurking here for years before I ever registered.
totally agree. this place and the users are unique and generally more thoughtful and respectful than the reddit sub or anywhere else I've seen Twin Peaks discussed, not to mention the 11 years of posts. it can't just be replaced by reddit or twitter or facebook. dugpa can close the site if they like, but i'd hate to lose the community and agree that we should establish another forum if that's the case.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Very sad to hear this news, I'm hoping it doesn't pan out... :(
Although, from a 'glass half full' perspective, maybe this is early spoiler control for the next development in the world of Twin Peaks? :wink:
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

There's all kinds of reasons an admin of a message board might choose to shutter a board. It can take time and money to keep a message board online. I've seen other boards saved when the community came together to find solutions, such as finding a way to transition to a new admin. It could be helpful to know what the reason is and if there is a potential solution.

This is has been a robust and active place to discuss Lynch and Twin Peaks... its been around since before the missing peices were announced and it's been here at every step as the Twin Peaks universe grew. Much appreciation to all who have contributed and I hope it can continue.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

AgentEcho wrote:There's all kinds of reasons an admin of a message board might choose to shutter a board. It can take time and money to keep a message board online. I've seen other boards saved when the community came together to find solutions, such as finding a way to transition to a new admin. It could be helpful to know what the reason is and if there is a potential solution.

This is has been a robust and active place to discuss Lynch and Twin Peaks... its been around since before the missing peices were announced and it's been here at every step as the Twin Peaks universe grew. Much appreciation to all who have contributed and I hope it can continue.
totally agree
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

This would be a real shame since I love this board. There's just something about the phpBB format I prefer over reddit, it feels more personal, less anonymous in ways.I sincerely hope there will be a way to either maintain or archive the forum. Though I would totally respect Dugpa's decision and whatever reasoning behind it, I would like to hear some clarification.

From checking the dates of registered members, the register option has been removed since september 2017.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."