Knowing what we know now, why in the world was Theresa Banks' murder a Blue Rose case?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Knowing what we know now, why in the world was Theresa Banks' murder a Blue Rose case?

Post by kitty666cats »

Does anyone have any remotely good reasoning behind this? There seems to be little to no inklings of the paranormal until Chet and Sam actually go and investigate. And most certainly nothing about any mysterious doubles. Oh lord, Season 3 frustrates me so much haha
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Knowing what we know now, why in the world was Theresa Banks' murder a Blue Rose case?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’ll do you one better: I’ve never understood why it was even an FBI case. MLMT has some weak explanation that Gordon had a “feeling” it was a serial event, but last time I checked, “feelings” don’t establish federal jurisdiction (statutorily, there must be three serial events with demonstrably similar characteristics before the feds can swoop in). It turns out that, from a constitutional perspective, Sheriff Cable is the hero of FWWM. ;)

I think the clear implication is that Gordon knew more classified details about the killing than the audience was privy to, but who knows what that would be.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Knowing what we know now, why in the world was Theresa Banks' murder a Blue Rose case?

Post by Soolsma »

Agents who work on the blue rose task force are obviously chosen because they are very in touch with their intuition and are willing to use unconventional methods to perform their investigations. I like to view them as either "gifted" or "damned."' Just like Coop knew the killer would strike again, how the victim would be a blonde and preparing a great abundance of food; Cole must have had his own inscrutable reasons to make Theresa Banks a blue rose case. For all we know his mother's sister's girl told him.
kitty666cats wrote:Does anyone have any remotely good reasoning behind this?
Good luck with that :lol:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

kitty666cats wrote:Does anyone have any remotely good reasoning behind this? There seems to be little to no inklings of the paranormal until Chet and Sam actually go and investigate. And most certainly nothing about any mysterious doubles. Oh lord, Season 3 frustrates me so much haha
I don't understand why you're frustrated with Season 3?. FWWM was where we learned that the case was a Blue Rose case.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I am also of the opinion that the reason behind the Teresa Banks investigation would be something Cole isn't telling us about. In fact most of what makes Twin Peaks as a whole (and especially season 3) so great stem from what Cole (Lynch) isn't telling (showing) us. It's also possible that Teresa was not the first body to wash up Wrapped In Plastic or some such thing.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

That's a a good question; I always had the impression that Gordon Cole knows/intuits more about things than he ever admits, so I just assumed Agents Desmond and Stanley were out there based on one of his hunches.

Your question reminds me though, of how MIKE (Phillip Gerard) talked about killing together with BOB before the events of TP and FWWM. It's interesting to imagine Leland Palmer and Gerard having some crazy murder spree in the 70's and 80's, until MIKE "saw the face of god" and removed his own arm. I always just guessed Theresa's murder fit some established MO of other killings in the region linked to BOB/MIKE.

On top of that, Fat Trout Trailer Park was owned and operated by Carl Rodd, who had gone on record as having had some spirit world experience with a young Log Lady (as retold in Secret History). And Deer Meadow itself is a town with no set location. It goes from (I think) around Vancouver, WA in the pilot to (seemingly) closer to Twin Peaks in FWWM. Secret History then claims it's in an adjoining county to TP, with S3 showing Fat Trout Trailer Park being just a hop and skip away from town. So... I imagine Dear Meadow to be a topic of interest to Cole just for that reason.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Soolsma wrote:Agents who work on the blue rose task force are obviously chosen because they are very in touch with their intuition and are willing to use unconventional methods to perform their investigations. I like to view them as either "gifted" or "damned."' Just like Coop knew the killer would strike again, how the victim would be a blonde and preparing a great abundance of food; Cole must have had his own inscrutable reasons to make Theresa Banks a blue rose case. For all we know his mother's sister's girl told him.
I also gathered that Desmond, if not necessarily "gifted" in the same way Cooper and Cole are, has been briefed on the nature of the Blue Rose cases. Gordon probably recognizes something about the M.O. that brings the Lodges and/or Judy to mind, but Desmond probably knows to expect something unusual once he sees the blue rose on the woman's red dress. In retrospect, it seems likely that Cole also arranged for Cooper to be the one to go to Twin Peaks once the FBI had jurisdiction, or perhaps he had already sent him on his way once Laura's murder with the same M.O. was reported.

For that matter, Cooper does get there awfully quickly, especially if he was still based out of Philly at the time - I'm guessing that IRL, the FBI doesn't have agents camping out at the Philadelphia airport to hop on planes the moment an attempted murder victim steps across a state line. Though that was probably just Frost and Lynch playing a little loosely with passage of time rather than a hint that something more was going on. I'm assuming they didn't have the "mythology" fully planned out back when they made the pilot.
BlueRose69

Post by BlueRose69 »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Agents who work on the blue rose task force are obviously chosen because they are very in touch with their intuition and are willing to use unconventional methods to perform their investigations. I like to view them as either "gifted" or "damned."' Just like Coop knew the killer would strike again, how the victim would be a blonde and preparing a great abundance of food; Cole must have had his own inscrutable reasons to make Theresa Banks a blue rose case. For all we know his mother's sister's girl told him.
I also gathered that Desmond, if not necessarily "gifted" in the same way Cooper and Cole are, has been briefed on the nature of the Blue Rose cases. Gordon probably recognizes something about the M.O. that brings the Lodges and/or Judy to mind, but Desmond probably knows to expect something unusual once he sees the blue rose on the woman's red dress. In retrospect, it seems likely that Cole also arranged for Cooper to be the one to go to Twin Peaks once the FBI had jurisdiction, or perhaps he had already sent him on his way once Laura's murder with the same M.O. was reported.

For that matter, Cooper does get there awfully quickly, especially if he was still based out of Philly at the time - I'm guessing that IRL, the FBI doesn't have agents camping out at the Philadelphia airport to hop on planes the moment an attempted murder victim steps across a state line. Though that was probably just Frost and Lynch playing a little loosely with passage of time rather than a hint that something more was going on. I'm assuming they didn't have the "mythology" fully planned out back when they made the pilot.

The passage of time from when Ronette Pulaski came across state lines to Cooper coming into town always bothered me too. I understand that, like they say in the series, FBI does have jurisdiction in this case, but Laura’s body was found in the early morning of February 24th, and then Cooper arrives at 11:30, so how was he able to arrive so swiftly? Like you say, definitely think Lynch and Frost played around with the passage of time.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The “Diane...” audiotape sort of deals with the time discrepancy by saying Dale was already in Washington for a seminar (MLMT contradicts everything else, with Dale stationed in San Francisco).

I’ve always wondered about Gordon’s title, Regional Bureau Chief. What “region” would contain both Philadelphia and Washington State?!
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Cappy wrote:...with S3 showing Fat Trout Trailer Park being just a hop and skip away from town. So... I imagine Dear Meadow to be a topic of interest to Cole just for that reason.
I think you missed the sign that states that the Twin Peaks location is not the Fat Trout trailer park from FWWM but the NEW Fat Trout trailer park.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Ah right. Forgot that it was the NEW Fat Trout.

But it is kind of interesting how modern day Twin Peaks has sort of turned into Deer Meadow in a way. The whole town looks like a giant trailer park now.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Cappy wrote:Ah right. Forgot that it was the NEW Fat Trout.

But it is kind of interesting how modern day Twin Peaks has sort of turned into Deer Meadow in a way. The whole town looks like a giant trailer park now.
With the mill gone, I think the main source of employment dried up for the residents of Twin Peaks.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think parts of the town are rough. Other parts of it - the park Carl and the young mother and child are in, the main drag with the Double R and Nadine's Run Silent, Run Drapes, etc. - look quite nice and quite modern. What struck me actually is how parts outside of the familiar landmarks looked too modern and glossy, almost anonymized. Corporatized. Mike the Snake is a morally upright bank drone.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Warning: this post will contain spoilers about season 3, The Return.

Just thinking out loud here and obviously just a guess that is probably way off...
Spoiler:
But maybe Theresa Banks was a tulpa, created by MIKE (we saw in The Return MIKE has the ability to create Tulpas) as an attempt to 'catch' BOB. We saw in The Return tulpa's can be kinda manipulated in doing what it's creator wants it to do.

Leland/BOB did bite the bate: murdering Theresa was one of the elements that led to the death of Leland and the failure of BOB trying to possess Laura. So one could say: IF it was MIKE's plan to do this (to stop BOB), it kinda worked.

Theresa's arm went numb, just like tulpa Dougie Jones' arm went numb + Theresa was a loner, so replacing her with a tulpa is something that could fairly easily could have been done. I have always wondered where Theresa came from before she lived in the trailer park and worked at Hap's Diner.

One thing doesn't add up in my theory above and that is that we saw what happened when a tulpa dies. No body is left behind. But maybe that is not always the case?
Last edited by MoondogJR on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Double post. Sorry. Mods, feel free to delete.
"Your log and I are on the same page."