Emmy Nominations thread

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Emmy Nominations thread

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I believe that in the main drama and comedy categories, actors submit a particular episode which is their strongest of the season, and are nominated/win on the basis of the single episode. This is not necessarily the same episode submitted for other categories of the show (best drama, director, &c.). Again, I typically don’t pay too much attention to the limited series category. Does it function differently, or could Kyle have submitted, say, Part 4, which demonstrates his range pretty well?
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

What the hell do awards matter, especially in this day and age? They're all about politics, and the Oscars (with the Emmy's I'm sure following suit) have all but stated that racial and sexual "diversity" is now their number one criterion when deciding nominees. I still watch the Oscars because it's a glorious trainwreck, but haven't even checked in on either the Emmy nominees or show for years. If the show had aired during the right time for nominations and not a whole year prior, it may have been possible for MacLachlan to be portioned something. It would have been nice from a career perspective for him to have won something like that, but Jason Alexander and Ed O'Neill don't have Emmy awards, so he's just one more.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

IcedOver wrote:What the hell do awards matter, especially in this day and age? They're all about politics, and the Oscars (with the Emmy's I'm sure following suit) have all but stated that racial and sexual "diversity" is now their number one criterion when deciding nominees. I still watch the Oscars because it's a glorious trainwreck, but haven't even checked in on either the Emmy nominees or show for years. If the show had aired during the right time for nominations and not a whole year prior, it may have been possible for MacLachlan to be portioned something. It would have been nice from a career perspective for him to have won something like that, but Jason Alexander and Ed O'Neill don't have Emmy awards, so he's just one more.
True. Like I said, it's just nice to see and sometimes have your faith in institutions rewarded.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don’t think you need to display a “maelstrom of emotions” to be nominated for an acting Emmy. Jon Hamm was nominated for all eight seasons of Mad Men, and while he occasionally had big emotional moments (particularly in the two episodes he won for), it was mostly an extremely subtle, low-key performance where everything was below the surface, particularly in those early years. The same goes for many of this year’s nominees. The great Ed Harris was entertainingly badass but one-dimensional (by nature of the scripted material he was given) on Westworld—in fact, it was a similar role to Mr. C. I haven’t seen Homeland in years, but based on the time that I was watching the show, I sincerely doubt that Mandy Patinkin and F. Murray Abraham’s characters are wailing in tears, gnashing their teeth and pounding their chests on a regular basis.

I think the main problem is that the Emmys tend to follow established patterns and trends. Rarely do they honor something new and innovative the year it comes out (they’ve been getting a little better with this, as demonstrated by the prominence of Atlanta in the comedy nominations last year and this year—but not much better). Kyle’s performance is similar to Tatiana Maslany on Orphan Black, in that he plays several wildly different “characters” or versions of a character in the same show. Maslany was snubbed for two years, and the press were extremely critical of the Emmys for not nominating her. She was finally nominated for the third season and won for the fourth, I think. Give TP two more seasons of Kyle doing the exact same thing he did in S3, and I have no doubt he would get a nomination.
For sure, didn't mean to imply great performances have to be a kaleidoscope of outward expression, my issue is more that Wright's performance made me feel nothing for the Bernard character, which is a problem I had with almost all the characters on that show. But like you said, that's way more on the script than on the actors.

I'm just bummed that a show that thinks it's way smarter than it is and is driven purely by Twitter and Reddit hype cycles gets showered with nominations while Peaks gets screwed, but like you said, these ceremonies aren't exactly built to honour and fuel innovation or projects that don't appeal to the mainstream or to investors.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
IcedOver wrote:What the hell do awards matter, especially in this day and age? They're all about politics, and the Oscars (with the Emmy's I'm sure following suit) have all but stated that racial and sexual "diversity" is now their number one criterion when deciding nominees. I still watch the Oscars because it's a glorious trainwreck, but haven't even checked in on either the Emmy nominees or show for years. If the show had aired during the right time for nominations and not a whole year prior, it may have been possible for MacLachlan to be portioned something. It would have been nice from a career perspective for him to have won something like that, but Jason Alexander and Ed O'Neill don't have Emmy awards, so he's just one more.
True. Like I said, it's just nice to see and sometimes have your faith in institutions rewarded.
For Showtime, it's a pretty big deal; for us, not so much. For Kyle, it would definitely help his career...well who knows, but it definitely would not hurt it.

As for Lynch, I get the feeling he's not motivated very much by awards. But man, what I wouldn't give to see his acceptance speech!!! He'd start talking about some table he's just built, or some tree he just saw in the woods; they'd have to yank him off stage! Then he'd probably hang his Emmy above the toilet in his second bathroom.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

ThumbsUp wrote:For sure, didn't mean to imply great performances have to be a kaleidoscope of outward expression, my issue is more that Wright's performance made me feel nothing for the Bernard character, which is a problem I had with almost all the characters on that show. But like you said, that's way more on the script than on the actors.

I'm just bummed that a show that thinks it's way smarter than it is and is driven purely by Twitter and Reddit hype cycles gets showered with nominations while Peaks gets screwed, but like you said, these ceremonies aren't exactly built to honour and fuel innovation or projects that don't appeal to the mainstream or to investors.
I was responding to NormOfTheAndes saying that Kyle would have to give an emotional performance to get a nomination, not to you! I’m with you on Westworld, though. Hopkins, Wright and Harris are all great performers who were given almost nothing interesting to do. The actors on that show feel more like props in service of the plot/mythology.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

mtwentz wrote: As for Lynch, I get the feeling he's not motivated very much by awards. But man, what I wouldn't give to see his acceptance speech!!! He'd start talking about some table he's just built, or some tree he just saw in the woods; they'd have to yank him off stage! Then he'd probably hang his Emmy above the toilet in his second bathroom.
I wouldn't say he is motivated by awards, but when he gets awards and huge accolades, I wonder if it might keep him going on a particular track or maybe stick him up. "MD", which I consider his worst movie, was so overpraised and over-awarded that it's possible it made him think that this is what is wanted or expected out of him. He made a (vastly superior) brother film to it five years later, and now we learn he had the "Antelope" script which also exists in Hollywoodland. Perhaps that praise is one factor that caused him to be unproductive on the feature front for so many years.

He has a pretty good shot at winning because the academy knows he hasn't won one of the two big entertainment awards. His acceptance speech wouldn't be any different than anyone else's, though.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I thought I read somewhere that since Lynch and Frost directed and wrote all the episodes that gave them an advantage in nabbing a nomination. Do not know if that'll help them win though.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

IcedOver wrote:
mtwentz wrote: As for Lynch, I get the feeling he's not motivated very much by awards. But man, what I wouldn't give to see his acceptance speech!!! He'd start talking about some table he's just built, or some tree he just saw in the woods; they'd have to yank him off stage! Then he'd probably hang his Emmy above the toilet in his second bathroom.
I wouldn't say he is motivated by awards, but when he gets awards and huge accolades, I wonder if it might keep him going on a particular track or maybe stick him up. "MD", which I consider his worst movie, was so overpraised and over-awarded that it's possible it made him think that this is what is wanted or expected out of him. He made a (vastly superior) brother film to it five years later, and now we learn he had the "Antelope" script which also exists in Hollywoodland. Perhaps that praise is one factor that caused him to be unproductive on the feature front for so many years.

He has a pretty good shot at winning because the academy knows he hasn't won one of the two big entertainment awards. His acceptance speech wouldn't be any different than anyone else's, though.
I don't see that as being the case. I see every film from Fire Walk with Me onwards to be an extension of the last. He made Lost Highway before Mulholland Drive, and the poor notices for Lost Highway didn't stop him from making another head movie in Mulholland. Mulholland before Inland, and Inland before this. It just seems like his trajectory and where his interests increasingly reside. I think ever since the Twin Peaks season 2 finale, he's been on this path and getting in touch with the purest version of himself, inching back to the headspace of Eraserhead.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:I don't see that as being the case. I see every film from Fire Walk with Me onwards to be an extension of the last. He made Lost Highway before Mulholland Drive, and the poor notices for Lost Highway didn't stop him from making another head movie in Mulholland. Mulholland before Inland, and Inland before this. It just seems like his trajectory and where his interests increasingly reside. I think ever since the Twin Peaks season 2 finale, he's been on this path and getting in touch with the purest version of himself, inching back to the headspace of Eraserhead.
Right, and if you read/watch/hear even a little bit about the production of IE, it’s clear that that film was a purely organic evolution over the course of several years that came out of various shorts, web experiments, and one-off shoots without a specific endgame in mind. At no point did he say, “I want to make another MD.” (And in any event, I find IE to be a very different and much more complex beast from MD.)

And I have no doubt that a DKL acceptance speech would be a thing to behold. The man has just never learned to speak “Hollywood” (or, perhaps more accurately, defiantly refuses to, like a smart but rebellious student playing dumb when the teacher calls on him). Unique/idiosyncratic awards show speeches are far from the norm, but they do happen, and I have no doubt DKL would enter the ranks if given the chance to rise to the occasion.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer do you have any feelings about Fuller House receiving a nomination for Best Children's programming? Can we say that nomination alone discredits the Emmy's this year :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:Mr. Reindeer do you have any feelings about Fuller House receiving a nomination for Best Children's programming? Can we say that nomination alone discredits the Emmy's this year :-)
To be fair, I know nothing about this new incarnation — it could involve a brilliant turn from Stamos as Uncle Jesse reduced to an infant state á la Dougie for all I know. But based on what I’ve seen of the original show, the nomination is probably a sign of the apocalypse. ;)

Many Emmy voters probably grew up with the original show, so there’s some nostalgia at play. I actually find it kind of cool that there were these nostalgia-based revivals of TP’s contemporary series like Full House and Roseanne this year, at the same time L/F were doing what they’ve always done: defying expectations and redefining the medium instead of looking backward.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I’m not entirely sure how the nominating process works, but at least with SAG, when I was on nominating committee, I was provided with a giant booklet of all the potential nominees that were submitted and had to mark off x number of choices in each category. Now I know the academy does it by category, actors nominate actors, cinematographers nominate cinematographer s, etc... and everyone nominates picture. I imagine it’s similar for the Emmys.

Twin Peaks was an obvious slam dunk for limited series or drama before it even began filming, but when it aired it was too divisive. Some loving it, and some really let down. I myself could see me checking off a box of something else even if I was like warm on it almost out of spite for feeling let down by Peaks. So in the end when it’s tallied it comes up short because it had people too much in either end of the spectrum. While the ones that made are more in the well, that’s good enough results.

Lynch getting nominated is because the directors are nominating him and looking at it from that vantage point, same with writing.

Kyle not getting nominated shocked the hell out of me. And it has nothing to do with the performance, that is almost irrelevant. No one has time to watch, rewatch all the stuff on their ballots, and which most of the time results in checking off something that seems like a sound smart choice. Meryl Streep in X movie of year... did the voter see it? Not all the time, but eh, sure she was good in it. Kyle seemed like a lock for basically the same principle.

Laura Dern not getting it is more likely from enough voters saying, well... I’m already nominating her for the HBO thing couple with some of the also saying I didn’t love Peaks and I’ll nominate her for the other thing.

So then you have something like Fuller House, and it’s a result of there just not being that many choices on the ballot.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

They don't give away any of the "technical" awards on the TV broadcast, right? Not even writing or directing?