Emmy Nominations thread

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Emmy Nominations thread

Post by mtwentz »

Ok, we all probably are cynical enough about the treatment of Twin Peaks by the awards community since Season 2, so I know were not expecting much but...

Could there at least be a couple of awards nominations for Sound Design and the like?

Edit: Myself, I don't care much about the Emmys, and probably most of the fans here don't care much either; however, it is important for Showtime and Lynch/Frost.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Emmy Nominations thread

Post by krishnanspace »

I hope they win every possible award. In many hours will the nominations be announced?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:I hope they win every possible award. In many hours will the nominations be announced?
Being announced right now. No acting nominations for TP, but Dern was nominated for The Tale. Not particularly surprising, but Kyle was robbed. I’m guessing DKL will get a direcing nomination; if not, this is a total farce.

I think at least part of the problem is how far in the rear view mirror the show is. If Showtime was hoping for some nominations as part of its push toward being viewed as more prestigious, they released the show at the worst possible time.

Showtime did get nominations for Limited Series and Actor in a Limited Series for Patrick Melrose.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I'm disgusted. Absolutely disgusted. When will these awards shows honor what should be honored in the time that it is made? Only five nominees in the Limited Series category as opposed to 8 for Comedy and 7 for Drama is also part of the problem. I fully expected Peaks to get the 6th spot; most predictions had that category consisting of six entries. It's just shameful. It's not an exaggeration to say that The Return may be the greatest work of art made in my lifetime, and many share that notion. It's certainly one of them. Come on, already.

But, it did get a ton of nominations. Directing and writing for the entire series. Make up and hair and a few other things I'm forgetting as well. Cinematograpy, editing, sound editing and mixing for Part 8. Not enough people saw it or stuck with it for it to get the over-the-line nominations.
BlueRose69

Post by BlueRose69 »

Kyle was robbed; pure and simple
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I'm glad Lynch got a Best Director nomination.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

BlueRose69 wrote:Kyle was robbed; pure and simple
I don't tend to care abut awards and nominations either but Kyle really deserved a nom at least. I thought he was fantastic in The Return, really showed off his range. It was kind of revelatory, really. A damn shame.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

- Want to chime in with everyone else and say Kyle not being nominated is crap. I was really looking forward to him at least being nominated and wanted him to win so badly - The Return was the best performance of his career. - Feel bad for Kyle - at a minimum he deserved a nomination. :evil:
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

Kyle not getting nominated sucks, but then I just remember that the other greatest show in the universe got shafted in the cast department as well, and I just shrug my shoulders... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... mmy_Awards

But Frost and Lynch getting nominated for writing not just one episode but the entire limited series, that's great. Also the directing nod for Lynch and Part 8, the sound editing/mixing nods, etc. Not a bad potential haul, minus the obvious glaring omissions on the cast front

Edit: Actually it looks like Lynch got nominated for directing the whole thing too. Nice!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Poiuyt wrote:Kyle not getting nominated sucks, but then I just remember that the other greatest show in the universe got shafted in the cast department as well, and I just shrug my shoulders... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... mmy_Awards

But Frost and Lynch getting nominated for writing not just one episode but the entire limited series, that's great. Also the directing nod for Lynch and Part 8, the sound editing/mixing nods, etc. Not a bad potential haul, minus the obvious glaring omissions on the cast front

Edit: Actually it looks like Lynch got nominated for directing the whole thing too. Nice!
Yes, it's the whole thing for writing and directing. Does anyone know how this works? With so many nominations, did the series miss out on Limited Series because the entire academy gets to vote, and not enough saw it or too many disliked it and other shows rose to the top? Whereas for directing and writing, only writers and directors get to vote, and thus a more limited selection votes, enabling The Return to scoop up awards in more specific categories that it couldn't in broader categories? That's how I understand the Academy Awards used to be (or still are?).

Also, yes, historically these awards shows do get it "wrong." No The Wire, for example, and last year The Leftovers was snubbed as well. No matter how much I try to let it go, I can't, because it just boggles my mind that these institutions are in place that are meant to honor the best in their field, and no elaborate history of wrongness is ever learned from. It just makes me wonder what it will take. I hope we get some good articles out of this, at any rate.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Fuck the Emmys.Really fuck them. GOT with it's weakest Season got 22 nominations, piece of shit show called Stranger Things got the nomination for Best Drama ??!!??Wtf!!??!! Did the voters not see Kyle act????Fuck!!! I am very pissed off!
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

krishnanspace wrote:Fuck the Emmys.Really fuck them. GOT with it's weakest Season got 22 nominations, piece of shit show called Stranger Things got the nomination for Best Drama ??!!??Wtf!!??!! Did the voters not see Kyle act????Fuck!!! I am very pissed off!
Perhaps you need to come back down to reality brother! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Okay, so Twin Peaks was not easy TV. It ruffled fan feathers and confused the hell out of everyone. Still, the fact that it's been given absolutely nothing might seem as confounding as its own story. That is, it's easy to feel that way at first blush.

But consider for a moment how familiar the whole things is -- mediocrity being held up as outstanding in every area to the point that there's simply no room left for "the rest". It reminds me of a certain institution, a place you're forced to go, where everyone gets an award, where following the herd is celebrated and individuality is crushed with hasty brutality.

What is this? Kindergarten? Nursery School?

But, doesn't it make sense? Have you ever seen an awards show that behaves any differently from this one? It's important to remember that these aren't awards (something I would give my son for doing an awesome drawing), they're rewards (something I would give my son in return for good behavior) -- they're reinforcements. Viewed in that way, one can see that all is well. Studios are rewarded (their approach to entertainment is reinforced) when they deliver what's expected of them. Expectations do change over time, but there's a familiarity to each iteration. It only takes a moment to recognize a package containing a distillation of current trends, especially when it is placed beside a work of art, which is something born of passion and vision.

Just as Twin Peaks failed to renew 25 years ago, it will also fail to receive accolades at The Big Awards Show. At the end of the day, the thing is still what it is, regardless of the most errant or studied appraisals. Also, for anyone involved in creating a work of art, satisfaction comes from the creation of the work, and once it's completed, that satisfaction then comes from enjoying the finished work through its effects on the self and others, while basking in the memories of its creation. A pat on the back is always welcome but should never be the goal nor should it ever be considered a definitive indication of merit.

----

Now for Part II: The Shit Talking

I know this isn't about the other shows, yet I could not help but compare, so please consider what follows to be nothing more than a rant.

Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale*, Westworld, and The Alienist are all garbage in their own special ways. Stranger Things was entertaining though a bit uninspired. GLOW* was atrocious and unfunny in the most painfully embarrassing manner possible. Of all the shows nominated, this might be the biggest head scratcher.

Note: Perhaps I've missed some gold, since I haven't seen everything nominated.

*So terrible that I bailed after several episodes.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Okay, so Twin Peaks was not easy TV. It ruffled fan feathers and confused the hell out of everyone. Still, the fact that it's been given absolutely nothing might seem as confounding as its own story. That is, it's easy to feel that way at first blush.

But consider for a moment how familiar the whole things is -- mediocrity being held up as outstanding in every area to the point that there's simply no room left for "the rest". It reminds me of a certain institution, a place you're forced to go, where everyone gets an award, where following the herd is celebrated and individuality is crushed with hasty brutality.

But, doesn't it make sense? Have you ever seen an awards show that behaves any differently from this one? It's important to remember that these aren't awards (something I would give my son for doing an awesome drawing), they're rewards (something I would give my son in return for good behavior) -- they're reinforcements. Viewed in that way, one can see that all is well. Studios are rewarded (their approach to entertainment is reinforced) when they deliver what's expected of them. Expectations do change over time, but there's a familiarity to each iteration. It only takes a moment to recognize a package containing a distillation of current trends, especially when it is placed beside a work of art, which is something born of passion and vision.

Just as Twin Peaks failed to renew 25 years ago, it will also fail to receive accolades at The Big Awards Show. At the end of the day, the thing is still what it is, regardless of the most errant or studied appraisals. Also, for anyone involved in creating a work of art, satisfaction comes from the creation of the work, and once it's completed, that satisfaction then comes from enjoying the finished work through its effects on the self and others, while basking in the memories of its creation. A pat on the back is always welcome but should never be the goal nor should it ever be considered a definitive indication of merit.

----

I know this isn't about the other shows, yet I could not help but compare, so please consider what follows to be nothing more than a rant.

Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale*, Westworld, and The Alienist are all garbage in their own special ways. Stranger Things was entertaining though a bit uninspired. GLOW* was atrocious and unfunny in the most painfully embarrassing manner possible. Of all the shows nominated, this might be the biggest head scratcher.

Apart from all that waffle and shit-talking as you describe it, could it be The Return was not nominated as a Limited Series because it simply wasn't good enough?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:Okay, so Twin Peaks was not easy TV. It ruffled fan feathers and confused the hell out of everyone. Still, the fact that it's been given absolutely nothing might seem as confounding as its own story. That is, it's easy to feel that way at first blush.

----

Apart from all that waffle and shit-talking as you describe it, could it be The Return was not nominated as a Limited Series because it simply wasn't good enough?
Well it did get directing and writing nominations, so that says something positive for the quality.

It always amazes when a show gets a best director nod, but not a best show/movie nod.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly