Blu-ray

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Blu-ray

Post by marchug »

I looked around for an answer but I can't seem to find any...

I am upgrading all my Lynch dvd's to blu-ray and I am having trouble with this one. It seems that there is not a decent version of this out there? Does anyone have any hot tips? Any talk of a collectors edition? I'd love to finally see some deleted scenes from this film.
-23-
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Blu-ray

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

No deleted scenes currently available, although there was definitely stuff cut. The script is out there.

I don’t own it, but I think the French Blu Ray is the best in terms of extras. It’s a pretty modest offering (an EPK and some press interviews), but it’s better than the other releases which are either totally bare bones or have extras not related to the film (material from DKL’s website which is available elsewhere). The film doesn’t seem to be much of a priority for any of its distributors. It took years for it to even make it to DVD in the US.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Oh, BTW! The feature documentary Pretty as a Picture: The Art of David Lynch features some BTS footage of DKL at work on the film. It would be great if a release of LH someday could include a supercut of all the footage Toby Keeler shot of the production, much like the Criterion Eraserhead disc did for the visit to the AFI stables.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The film doesn’t seem to be much of a priority for any of its distributors. It took years for it to even make it to DVD in the US.
What a damn shame. I love this film. I saw it a couple of times in the theatre but I have trouble watching my DVD of it. All the dark scenes (which are some of the most beautiful ones that I remember from the theatre viewing) have blobby bluish artifacting all over it. Maybe Shout Factory or Criterion will get around to doing a proper release of it one day. That would be a dream.

Thanks again Mr Reindeer!
-23-
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Coming June 25th from KL Studio Classics https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/sta ... 5145518081 Extras haven't been announced and no idea if it's a new transfer, but it's nice it'll finally be available in the US.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

Looks like the only bonus feature will be a trailer.

Originally, there was going to be a Lynch interview (whether it was going to be old or something more recent I don't know) and, interestingly, a commentary track from writer Tim Lucas.

And then this week, Lucas posted this on his Facebook:
Dear Folks, I’ve been given clearance by Kino Lorber’s Frank Tarzi to make the following known at this time...

If you go to the website of Diabolik DVD, you’ll see they are soliciting pre-orders for Kino Lorber’s upcoming Blu-ray of David Lynch’s LOST HIGHWAY. Their description of its extras includes an hour-long interview with David Lynch, an exclusive booklet essay by Nick Pinkerton, and a NEW audio commentary by Tim Lucas.

This was the exciting hush-hush project I mentioned here a month or so ago. The commentary was commissioned by KL and I was honored, excited, and intimidated to script and record the FIRST-EVER audio commentary for a David Lynch film on disc.

I was extremely proud of the result, which - despite my initial intimidation - flowed out of me like water. Bret Wood, my disc producer, told me the commentary was terrific. At the time, Universal seemed to have no problem with this, but once the work was done (and paid for, I hasten to note), I’m told they checked their contract and discovered that neither they nor their sub-licensers were allowed to include ANY extras with the release, in keeping with the wishes of Mr. Lynch.

Therefore, I regret to inform you that Kino Lorber’s LOST HIGHWAY Blu-ray will feature NO extras other than a trailer. It’s the way David Lynch wants it. Of course, I’m disappointed that my and Nick’s work won’t be along for the ride - but I’m presently considering other ways of making my commentary available, perhaps in expanded book form.

I hope this news won’t spoil anyone’s interest in the disc, which I can tell you is a magnificent HD transfer of a mind-bending film.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Weird. Certainly, Lynch would NEVER allow an audio commentary on one of his movies, but he’s never had any aversion to other extras. I’d assume he did not record a new interview for the disc if he’s the one forbidding them from including anything. That would be even stranger, ha.

Very disappointing, though. It will be great to have in HD, but it’s a shame that we’re still stuck with just a bare bones release all these years later. Unless Lynch is planning another release in the near future and doesn’t want to create competing releases. I was really hoping to see those deleted scenes. He’s put such care into restoring deleted scenes from his other films.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

So then it's a new transfer if he's mentioning "HD transfer"? How long are any deleted scenes rumored to be for this, even though they won't be included?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:So then it's a new transfer if he's mentioning "HD transfer"? How long are any deleted scenes rumored to be for this, even though they won't be included?
I’ve never heard any estimate, but just eyeballing it based on the script, probably around the same area as Blue Velvet or Wild at Heart (i.e., 50-75 minutes).
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Very bummed to read there won't be any deleted scenes. The script is loaded with them and I assumed Lynch would be happy to share them, given other recent Bluray releases. I wonder if the people involved didn't want to put up the money it would take to remaster/mix to Lynch's high standard? Or does he really not want people to see the ones for this film for some reason? Hope somebody asks him someday.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

bosguy1981 wrote:I wonder if the people involved didn't want to put up the money it would take to remaster/mix to Lynch's high standard?
I think this is the most likely case. It sounds like this release in general was very hands off with Lynch himself, if they were doing all of this second-hand presentation of extras, using content that was mostly evaluation of the movie itself from an outsider perspective. It sounds like they came at it at an angle that didn't involve going directly to the source, where deleted scenes rights would be on the table.

Regardless, I'm gonna buy the blu-ray and hope that if it gets strong sales, it will perk some other producer's interest.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Incase you hadn't read, David Lynch tweeted his non-support for this release over the weekend:

"Dear Twitter Friends, A Blu-Ray of LOST HIGHWAY will be released very soon. It was made from old elements and NOT from a restoration of the original negative. I hope that a version from the restoration of the original negative will happen as soon as possible."

Paging Criterion? I would say this explains why extras (such as Lynch-approved deleted scenes) are not included. He doesn't even approve of the transfer of the film itself.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

bosguy1981 wrote:Incase you hadn't read, David Lynch tweeted his non-support for this release over the weekend:

"Dear Twitter Friends, A Blu-Ray of LOST HIGHWAY will be released very soon. It was made from old elements and NOT from a restoration of the original negative. I hope that a version from the restoration of the original negative will happen as soon as possible."

Paging Criterion? I would say this explains why extras (such as Lynch-approved deleted scenes) are not included. He doesn't even approve of the transfer of the film itself.
What a shame. I guess KL wouldn’t/couldn’t pony up the cash for a proper restoration? One would have thought they’d have worked out all those details upfront—certainly before paying for a commentary track they can’t use (and which Lynch certainly would have vetoed anyway).

Since we know the commentary track was recorded, I wonder if the hour-long interview with Lynch was also put on tape before the relationship between KL and DKL broke down?

I think LH is a much stronger film than it generally gets credit for, with several of the most terrifying moments in Lynch’s entire catalogue. I really hope it gets the home media release it deserves one day.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Since we know the commentary track was recorded, I wonder if the hour-long interview with Lynch was also put on tape before the relationship between KL and DKL broke down?
Was there ever any indication they had shot this themselves though? I assumed it was just an old video they would have attached because they happen to have the rights. This is often what they do for european releases. For instance one of the features on the IE uk release is an interview that the director Mike Figgis shot, and the french edition of Mulholland Drive had a vid of the Cannes press conference.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

here is Kino Lorber's reaction. Seems like David wanted his favorite label (read Criterion) involved, and when that didnt happen he closed the door.