How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Post by Jerry Horne »

Any theories? Since we are now dealing with multiple timelines, do you think we will continue to switch back and forth? I would love to spend some/more time in the 'Laura is missing' timeline. Presumably Maddy still exists there and would give Sheryl Lee a meaty part.

Could the final missing Laura Palmer diary page be worked in?

Ontkean returns?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I imagine any S4 would be as difficult to predict as S3 was. I personally doubt that Lynch has any interest in doing a straightforward “alternate timeline,” although he might tackle such a thing in a more abstract sense. Just as this season muddied the waters as to whether anything in the original series was actually “real” (both Xavi and TwinBeaks, among others, have advanced feasible theories that the original show is a dream in whole or part), I would guess that future seasons will continue to add layers of reality and unreality (Lynch just can’t help himself when given this broad a canvas), making the story increasingly impenetrable and enigmatic.

I’d give almost anything to see Ontkean play Harry again!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'd like to think we'd be between two worlds in some respect - two timelines, or maybe just one rewritten after all, who knows. And that we'd see more of both Laura and Audrey in central roles. Probably Tammy as well, Cole's latest protege and the keeper of the flame with Albert gone. I think they'd have to dig deeper into Cooper's inner core and backstory, only hinted at on the show and established more in Scott Frost's work in the books.* Due to his actions at the end of Season 3 it's now become kind of essential.

If they wanted to bring back Janey-E, Candie and the Mitchums I would hardly complain. Loved them. Diane as well, though I'm not sure how much more story she has left to tell.

I'd hope to see Piper Laurie once more as Catherine before she passes away. Maybe Josie finally stops making that ringing noise and reappears from the wood once or twice. I'd like to see the next generation built up more with fuller storylines, but that may not happen and it may not be appropriate, really, given that so much hanging story is focused now on Cooper, Laura and Audrey. I'd like to see Leland a bit more. And I'd like to see Bobby and Shelly Briggs reunited.

"Starring KYLE MACLACHLAN and SHERYL LEE" every week would make me very happy.

(* - if you want the worst kind of fanfic, I'd have Lynch's old pal Sissy Spacek play Cooper's late and obviously posthumously aged mother. :P)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I imagine any S4 would be as difficult to predict as S3 was. I personally doubt that Lynch has any interest in doing a straightforward “alternate timeline,” although he might tackle such a thing in a more abstract sense. Just as this season muddied the waters as to whether anything in the original series was actually “real” (both Xavi and TwinBeaks, among others, have advanced feasible theories that the original show is a dream in whole or part), I would guess that future seasons will continue to add layers of reality and unreality (Lynch just can’t help himself when given this broad a canvas), making the story increasingly impenetrable and enigmatic.

I’d give almost anything to see Ontkean play Harry again!
No doubt it be hard to predict. Every season has been different thus far, although seeing as how S1 & S2 were close to each other it had to be in the same ballpark. I think S3 and S4 would have more in common since, presumably, there wouldn't be a huge gap again. I think it would be great to keep exploring the timelines concurrently. Annie, Harry, Maddy etc. Talk about endless possibilities.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

N. Needleman wrote:I'd like to think we'd be between two worlds in some respect - two timelines, or maybe just one rewritten after all, who knows. And that we'd see more of both Laura and Audrey in central roles. Probably Tammy as well, Cole's latest protege and the keeper of the flame with Albert gone. I think they'd have to dig deeper into Cooper's inner core and backstory, only hinted at on the show and established more in Scott Frost's work in the books.* Due to his actions at the end of Season 3 it's now become kind of essential.

If they wanted to bring back Janey-E, Candie and the Mitchums I would hardly complain. Loved them. Diane as well, though I'm not sure how much more story she has left to tell.

I'd hope to see Piper Laurie once more as Catherine before she passes away. Maybe Josie finally stops making that ringing noise and reappears from the wood once or twice. I'd like to see the next generation built up more with fuller storylines, but that may not happen and it may not be appropriate, really, given that so much hanging story is focused now on Cooper, Laura and Audrey. I'd like to see Leland a bit more. And I'd like to see Bobby and Shelly Briggs reunited.

(* - if you want the worst kind of fanfic, I'd have Lynch's old pal Sissy Spacek play Cooper's late and obviously posthumously aged mother. :P)
One of the problems for a fan thinking of S4 is trying to even grasp what happened in S3. After wading through timelines and dream logic, how would Audrey play out in S4?

Thank God Lynch/Frost have this all mapped out ;)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Since a lot of the actors passed away, I assume most of the story would take place in the Odessa where the characters played by the actors who passed away never existed.
Also since Time travel was used, they now have a lot of options too
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I doubt that would be the case. I think at best you'd see two worlds, and in either the actors who have passed away would've had their characters do so as well, just as Margaret, Pete, etc. have.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

I think that the likelihood is further Twin Peaks would be nothing like season 3. I see The Return as pretty much a self-contained work.

Speaking broadly, I don't get at all a 'happy' mood from s3 and its desolate, as if the Black Lodge has infiltrated daily life in Twin Peaks. Coupled with the idea that much of what we see in season 3 could be a dream within a dream even, I see it as a very specific vision of that universe.

Practically speaking, Lynch and Deming complained about time constraints and the budget, so filming in fewer locations and with a smaller cast would be an obvious answer to that.

As mentioned previously, more insight into Cooper's inner workings would be more than welcome. If 99 percent of the show were set in Twin Peaks I doubt many fans would complain. I can't see them just repeating the location-scouring previous season.

I would very much imagine that Lynch and Frost know that they would have to make a further season stand out somehow and kick ass in the mystery and story departments. Whereas s3 was very dreamlike, Lynch saying he is now watching the Investigation Discovery channel (any shows) in Rolling Stone seems to point to him looking for ideas about crimes and mystery - probably more about the mystery aspect! As Twin Peaks began with a very strong murder investigation hook, it only makes sense to bring in something equally magnetic for viewers. The crimes shown in season 3 are left unresolved completely or aren't even the main focus at all - they're more like episodes in some fever dream. Unless they go for a season 4 in Stalker or INLAND EMPIRE mode with Carrie and Richard wandering through the Zone for 10 hours, there has to be a strong hook to tie Cooper back to the town the show is named after as well. For all the things we see of the FBI in season 3, I wouldn't be surprised if we learned that Cooper had been living all this time in the Fat Trout Trailer Park!
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

N. Needleman wrote:I doubt that would be the case. I think at best you'd see two worlds, and in either the actors who have passed away would've had their characters do so as well, just as Margaret, Pete, etc. have.
I meant for Actors who passed away after The Return was filmed.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Most of the aforementioned suggestions are very similar to what my expectations and imaginings are like. Somehow it would seem very likely they would go down that path but on the other hand, for that reason, is precisely what they won't do.

I would not be surprised by a lot more of Dougie Jones. He's a lot more like good ol' Cooper now. Maybe he'll be the one investigating and be briefed by Cole, simply because he's the closest thing to an actual Coop they've got. :wink:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Most of the aforementioned suggestions are very similar to what my expectations and imaginings are like. Somehow it would seem very likely they would go down that path but on the other hand, for that reason, is precisely what they won't do.

I would not be surprised by a lot more of Dougie Jones. He's a lot more like good ol' Cooper now. Maybe he'll be the one investigating and be briefed by Cole, simply because he's the closest thing to an actual Coop they've got. :wink:
But now Cole knows about 2 Coopers and 2 timelines.Maybe Cole's mission would be to rescue Coop from Odessa?
Also According to The Final Dossier, Hawk is the new owner of the log and maybe he could be the new messenger.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:I'd like to think we'd be between two worlds in some respect - two timelines, or maybe just one rewritten after all, who knows. And that we'd see more of both Laura and Audrey in central roles. Probably Tammy as well, Cole's latest protege and the keeper of the flame with Albert gone. I think they'd have to dig deeper into Cooper's inner core and backstory, only hinted at on the show and established more in Scott Frost's work in the books.* Due to his actions at the end of Season 3 it's now become kind of essential.

Good thoughts, as always. I just wanted to say that I think there's plenty left for Diane, if only because I still question whether we actually ever saw the real Diane. First we see her Tulpa, then she arrives dressed like the Red Room before morphing into Linda and vanishing. That's one of my favorite aspects, the way they treated this great unknown character in such a way that she could be seen to remain unknown and potentially still a projection of Cooper's. It's only for that reason that I would say she wouldn't be in a 4th season, purposely so that she would never be truly revealed. But at the same time I can see Dern playing her entirely differently.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Yeh, the ambiguity of Diane and the fact that her identity is inextricably intertwined with Dale and his issues with women is fascinating fodder. I agree with LateReg that mining that ground further risks dimishing returns/demystifying the character. But then again, pre-S3, I would have said the same thing about seeing the character onscreen at all. L/F found a way to honor the overly literal backstory in MLMT but also restore her ambiguity in a way that said some fascinating things about both her character and Dale. I imagine that if she has any presence in S4 (and if there is a S4, I’d bet on some version of Dern/Diane showing up), she will only become more mysterious, not less. (I still haven’t seen a good theory for the Candie/“Diane-C” naming convention, which CAN’T be a coincidence given her fractured identity).

The idea of casting Cooper’s family is a fun fan-fic exercise. We know Mark was eyeing the late Roger Rees to play Dale’s brother Emmit. Cooper’s dad was briefly in the Episode 29 script, but I don’t recall ever hearing if the writers had anyone specific in mind. There’s something about the thought of Elliot Gould in the role that conjures something in my mind. The balancing act he achieved between quirky “man’s man” and hapless loser in his ‘70s work with Altman (particularly The Long Goodbye) feels oddly appropriate to the way Scott Frost portrayed the character in MLMT, and there’s always something thrilling about the prospect of DKL working with a once-great actor who squandered his potential. Cooper’s mom is an interesting question mark, since TFD seems to hint at a darker backstory than we saw in Dale’s (potentially filtered) MLMT portrayal. Since she died young, she would presumably appear in flashbacks/Red Room scenes in her 30s. I think Carrie Coon is one of the best actors working today and criminally underused, and she seems to be able to do just about anything...I’d love to see her work with DKL.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

krishnanspace wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I doubt that would be the case. I think at best you'd see two worlds, and in either the actors who have passed away would've had their characters do so as well, just as Margaret, Pete, etc. have.
I meant for Actors who passed away after The Return was filmed.
That's what I am saying above - that the actors' characters would simply have died in either timeline, not ceased to exist. For example, the Final Dossier (in which there is seemingly no other timeline) posits that Twin Peaks' ensemble of characters remains largely unchanged despite the fact that in the new timeline Laura disappeared and Leland committed suicide.

When we first heard Richard Chamberlain was cast I admit, I thought he'd play Cooper's father. I'd forgotten all about the Roger Rees thing til now.

I like Diane a lot and thought both iterations of the character in S3 were fascinating, and I worship Laura Dern, but I'd kind of like to see more of that focus and attention given over to Laura/Carrie and Audrey next time (I guess with Sheryl she's already had that showcase, but then again so has Laura Dern several times over). If Diane is to have a role I'd like to see it divide upon itself even more in some new way. Who knows who "Linda" is or thinks she is?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Soolsma wrote:I would not be surprised by a lot more of Dougie Jones. He's a lot more like good ol' Cooper now. Maybe he'll be the one investigating
This would be hilarious and fantastic.