What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What chance do you think there is we will see a season 4?

Very unlikely
13%
Unlikely
32%
50/50
35%
Likely
12%
Very likely
7%

Total votes: 82
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Post by Soolsma »

Probably the most crucial factor is L&F finding a story worth telling or not.

An inner journey for Laura and Dale then? Truly coming in touch with every facet (especially the dark ones) of their souls through the Odessa verse? I mean, the doppelganger was destroyed and all, but did Cooper really ever face his own dark sides? I think until part 18, probably not.

I guess my dream would be a 6 hour film shown in cinemas. Just quicken the pace a liiittle bit and bam!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Or a trilogy of 2 hour films with end credit teasers lol.Just kidding,but story wise Lynch and Frost have so many incomplete plot points from Season 3 as well as FWWM and the original series that they can continue on.
Plus, everyone on the cast and crew enjoyed working on it,David and Mark were highly praised for their artistic vision and non-conventional storytelling both by fans and critics ,David even got a standing ovation at Cannes and Mark's book was a New York Times bestseller too,it also increased the membership for Showtime.
During the end of the original series , the ratings were dropping rapidly and so we're the audience.Then FWWM was also panned.With all this negative responses,a Season 3 was still made and it turned out to be positive.So,to conclude now is the best time to make a Season 4,if Lynch and Frost are up for it.

Ps-They should hire me as a script supervisor so that I make sure that it does not again end in a cliffhanger
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:Ps-They should hire me as a script supervisor so that I make sure that it does not again end in a cliffhanger
Uh, yeah, just don't mention that at the interview. :lol:
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

krishnanspace wrote: Ps-They should hire me as a script supervisor so that I make sure that it does not again end in a cliffhanger
And we end up with all the characters rejoicing in a LOST-finale-esque white lodge?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

krishnanspace wrote:Damon Lindelof being a huge Twin Peaks fan could be able to understand Lynch and Frost's vision and the audiences expectations
Not really.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I don't believe the show will or should come back, but if it does, it MUST be the same set-up as this time with Lynch directing and at least co-scripting the whole deal, complete control, all that. Whether an additional writer or two is brought on is a secondary consideration. Having any other set-up such as a different producer or director would be going totally backwards, and I can't believe fans would welcome that. During the original run, we all wanted Lynch to be directing each episode, and the fact that he did with this (no matter the quality of the results) was awesome and the only acceptable thing.

This show was "the" statement from Lynch with regards to a "TP" return, as messy, occasionally brilliant, very often unsatisfactory as it was. That may be why he pushed for 18 hours instead of 9, to get every idea he had towards this return on screen so it could be closed. Some of it was even a comment on the idea of dredging up the show from the past, and he intentionally played with and frustrated the audience. What would a continuation do -- the same thing? The stories in and of themselves, as presented in this iteration, don't much warrant continuation, so I say just leave it.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jasper wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Jasper wrote:
No. What was the comment?
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... ibed_what/
Interesting. Kimmy worded her statement in a very confusing manner. From what I can tell this might have been David's wife, Emily, in a car talking to another woman, with the "he" being David. Maybe. Or something. I don't know. Whatever the hell Kimmy was saying, it seemed to be positive, though essentially based upon a rumor she'd heard from a friend rather than any firm inside information.
N. Needleman wrote:Damon Lindelof has no place anywhere near this show.
Amen to that.

Another issue with the idea of using other directors is the way in which the Return was filmed and edited. Until they were created in the editing process, there were no episodes aside from perhaps the first couple of hours, and maybe much of part 8 and possibly part 18. David really seemed to like the one-big-film concept, so if he and Mark Frost were to write more Twin Peaks I think that there's a good chance that they might continue with that revolutionary approach. Imagine trying to fit various directors into the resultant production scenario. How on earth would that work? Given this editing process, it seems that you'd end up with each new "part" featuring scenes by various directors.
However, they were given 9 episodes initially and this was expanded to 18 - it makes one wonder how much extra writing was done for that. I don't think that filming it all as one big thing is in fact 'revolutionary' at all - unless the material suits that approach. Maybe some of season 3 did, but overall it felt like it needed more tightness and more scheduling. Even Lynch complained that his time on sets was too short - this was clearly a planning issue and if the production had not been so immense, with such a huge cast, things could have been organised better.

In terms of Twin Peaks as a whole, seasons 1 and 2 worked brilliantly mostly with their collaborative team approach. I think it would only sharpen up Lynch's direction if they brought in Jen and Riley or Austin Lynch to direct a few episodes, Tim Hunter maybe. Then Lynch's own episodes could be tighter, more intense and be the masterpieces like in seasons 1 and 2. Having his direction spread out over 18 hours meant the great moments were more spread out...
Last edited by NormoftheAndes on Fri May 11, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

IcedOver wrote:I don't believe the show will or should come back, but if it does, it MUST be the same set-up as this time with Lynch directing and at least co-scripting the whole deal, complete control, all that. Whether an additional writer or two is brought on is a secondary consideration. Having any other set-up such as a different producer or director would be going totally backwards, and I can't believe fans would welcome that. During the original run, we all wanted Lynch to be directing each episode, and the fact that he did with this (no matter the quality of the results) was awesome and the only acceptable thing.

This show was "the" statement from Lynch with regards to a "TP" return, as messy, occasionally brilliant, very often unsatisfactory as it was. That may be why he pushed for 18 hours instead of 9, to get every idea he had towards this return on screen so it could be closed. Some of it was even a comment on the idea of dredging up the show from the past, and he intentionally played with and frustrated the audience. What would a continuation do -- the same thing? The stories in and of themselves, as presented in this iteration, don't much warrant continuation, so I say just leave it.
A new season could be a whole brand new thing and I think that's the only way it would be approached. They're not going to recreate the style of season 3. Lynch or Frost never said they wanted to return to Twin Peaks so as to make it a closed thing or write 'the end' on it. Comments from Lynch recently have made it clear that the Palmer house ending of s3 is very much not the 'golden age' but a sad ending. I don't think the intention was for it to end there, regardless.

In terms of stories, season 3 was just awash with so many different loose ends that could be picked up - although I don't see that happening. The only main story of s3 was about Cooper and his journey, in my view. I would term it also the 'doppleganger' series, at odds with the lovely side of Twin Peaks we knew and so loved.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Comments from Lynch recently have made it clear that the Palmer house ending of s3 is very much not the 'golden age' but a sad ending.
Could you expand upon the above? What would have been a golden age, and what did Lynch say that makes it a sad ending?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Jasper wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:Comments from Lynch recently have made it clear that the Palmer house ending of s3 is very much not the 'golden age' but a sad ending.
Could you expand upon the above? What would have been a golden age, and what did Lynch say that makes it a sad ending?
You'll find that section in this interview:

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... _lynch_by/
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

eyeboogers wrote:
Jasper wrote:
You'll find that section in this interview:

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... _lynch_by/
Thanks! That was a long interview...and a bit of an awkward read given that everything, including Lynch's answers, appears to have been translated into French, published, then translated back into English via Google translate. I'd definitely like to see Lynch's answers as he originally spoke them.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

So apparently in 2082,kali yug will come to an end and the golden age will begin.Fellas,keep an eye for Twin Peaks in 2082(we might get a happy ending then) if anyone is alive by then :D
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

krishnanspace wrote:So apparently in 2082,kali yug will come to an end and the golden age will begin.Fellas,keep an eye for Twin Peaks in 2082(we might get a happy ending then) if anyone is alive by then :D
Since time travel occurred in season 3, anything is possible now surely?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... al-w520589

In here he says ,"I don't talk about that".If there were no more Twin Peaks, Lynch would have said a straight No.
Reminds me of the time before The Return aired, where any question regarding Season 3 was answered by Lynch with the same reply.Him saying that feels like he is under a NDA again.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

krishnanspace wrote:https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... al-w520589

In here he says ,"I don't talk about that".If there were no more Twin Peaks, Lynch would have said a straight No.
Reminds me of the time before The Return aired, where any question regarding Season 3 was answered by Lynch with the same reply.Him saying that feels like he is under a NDA again.
I think Lynch issued the NDAs rather than being under an NDA himself...