Watching 17 and 18 in sync

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Watching 17 and 18 in sync

Post by Deep Thought »

Alex Fulton was crazy enough to do it.

I thought this was interesting enough for its own thread. It may be tricky to do, but if you don't want to watch the whole thing this way, although it is thought provoking throughout, just watch the last 15 minutes of each synced up - if you can do that somehow. A perfect sync will cut to the Sarah/Judy wailing and smashing Laura's picture scene at the exact moment Mrs. Tremond closes the door on Cooper.

I just watched 17 and 18 in sync, and it is almost certainly intended to be watched this way. The quiet atmospheric music and the "Lynch/Frost" end-logo shown without sound at the end of episode 18 seemed clearly edited to allow Julie Cruz to wrap up The Return properly in the slightly longer episode 17. Goose bumps. The silenced end-logo is the sign of intent here, no question.

As a whole there are interesting parallels that match perfectly, like Mr. C going to the white lodge while Copper determines that he and Diane are at the correct location to cross over, and both transitioning between worlds at the same time. A quickie shot of evil black Bob orb aligned with the long take centered on the white orb street lamp at Cooper's motel is interesting. But the last sequence(s) including the FWWM footage, the Tremond/Palmer house and what follows will change your perspective; the last 15 minutes are like nothing I've ever seen or could have imagined. Hopefully there will be some version online soon.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Watching 17 and 18 in sync

Post by baxter »

I skimmed the reddit thread and though "hmm, none of this looks persuasive to me", but you are making me think again!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Of course, the mathematician in me is now pondering the logical extreme of this: let's watch all the episodes simultaneously!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

It's one long film: 18 parts (1 hour).
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

baxter wrote:I skimmed the reddit thread and though "hmm, none of this looks persuasive to me", but you are making me think again!
I didn't see the reddit thread, but read the article. I gave it serious consideration after seeing the way Lynch played with parallel sequences in the Box/Mauve Room scenes.

I am in the happy ending camp now.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

baxter wrote:It's one long film: 18 parts (1 hour).
I appreciate the joke, but you need to watch it before you scoff! :D

The whole of the two episodes do not sync perfectly or at all, but allot does, and the endings of both (and the whole season) are much improved by the exercise. As Lynch has claimed the season is not linear, I imagine other scenes could be matched up in a similar way.

When you watch Carrie closing her eyes during the long car ride while seeing Laura and James in the woods is simply stunning.
Last edited by Deep Thought on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Wow.

A funny detail. I made a joke on Twitter last week that the drunk was actually Waldo the bird as they both mimic everything and Mark Frost put a favorite on it.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

I checked the Reddit thread and found a link to the 2 episodes side by side. Apparently it works even better if you overlay the episodes on top of each other with editing software. Reminds me of how they were all blending together after the first trip to Jack rabbits palace. Also when Coopers face is superimposed in episode 17 I think that's a clue as well to overlay the video. Also the scene where Andy sees the two coopers split almost watching them side by side. So is the Rancho Rosa logo the key? Or does it not work on all full episodes? I saw the YouTube vid of the mauve scene and the glass box side by side and they sync perfectly but are from different parts of the episodes. Ugh I tried to fast forward the link and now it won't work! I don't have the software or time to make these myself someone needs o post these edits somewhere soon because I believe someone has stumbled onto something huge here...brilliant.
Mystery Roach
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mystery Roach »

I think it's highly unlikely that any thought was given in the editing room to making things sync up in an overlay or side-by-side comparison, nor do I think it's likely that anything has been intentionally placed to reward such viewing, but I do think a number of things were intentionally structured in ways that were either similarly or inversely related.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

You could prob sync it up with an episode of Brady Bunch if you tried.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Yeah I think that there might be something in this. I'm just not sure what!
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Thanks for posting this Deep Thought; very intriguing! Whether intentional, cosmic coincidence, or plain old coincidence, I'll watch the sync fo sho. At the very least it encourages comparison between 17 & 18, which definitely felt like companion pieces.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

I remain doubtful but bloody hell, the ending... https://streamable.com/ma8un
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Kilmoore wrote:I remain doubtful but bloody hell, the ending... https://streamable.com/ma8un
That's not the entire ending. The Julie Cruz appearance is the ending, is equally impactful, and supports the intentional nature of the syncing.
metrojoe82
Roadhouse Member

Post by metrojoe82 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Wow.

A funny detail. I made a joke on Twitter last week that the drunk was actually Waldo the bird as they both mimic everything and Mark Frost put a favorite on it.
I too kept thinking of Waldo!