Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

I'm the Muffin
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by I'm the Muffin »

Ross wrote:
Ross wrote:I wonder if more "closure" scenes were filmed for some of the other stories? And they were eventually cut to give LESS closure? I know a scene was filmed with Jacoby and Nadine in a restaurant (maybe a date)? And more scenes with Red & Shelly? So maybe more with Becky/Steven as well?

I could also swear there was a baby at the RR for a scene(?)
Time for people to pull out all the on-location pics and compile a list of deleted material!

We know there were additional scenes with Goodeve, Shelly/Red, Jacoby/Nadine...

And who did mtsi see on location? Or were they just pulling our leg?
Would be very interested in a thread for this! Didn't Everett McGill let slip in an interview that he filmed a scene with Steven? He said something about Big Ed being someone whom the young people of Twin Peaks feel they can confide in--and that he was shocked by the actions of Steven (presumably in the trailer scene with Becky) compared with how he was behaving in the scene they shared.

ETA: and Belushi mentioned something about a party scene--though I suppose he could have been referring to the scene in the limo?
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

Ross wrote:
Ross wrote:I wonder if more "closure" scenes were filmed for some of the other stories? And they were eventually cut to give LESS closure? I know a scene was filmed with Jacoby and Nadine in a restaurant (maybe a date)? And more scenes with Red & Shelly? So maybe more with Becky/Steven as well?

I could also swear there was a baby at the RR for a scene(?)
Time for people to pull out all the on-location pics and compile a list of deleted material!

I don't recall any additional scenes from the spoiler thread that didn't make it in, can you elaborate on any of those?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

claaa7 wrote:i see a lot of people saying that everything that came before 17 is completely undone by 17 and 18 and could have just as well been left in the garbage dumpster.. i strongly disagree with this.. in fact i just rewatched Parts 1/2 and i think the finale has made the storylines more poignant and going forward i'm sure we all will notice loads of things that we couldn't know had meaning (or what meaning they really had) in the episodes relating to the finale.

"Hawk... Something is missing and it has to do with Special Agent Dale Cooper"

yeah, you can say that again.. Laura is certainly missing and it sure as hell has to do with Special Agent Dale Cooper.

This leads him to find three pages of Laura's secret diary.. but take note of the fact that we are alerted to that "THERE'S STILL ONE PAGE MISSING" (Carrie Page that is?). the diary pages was then not at all a reveal but a clue.
So you're saying the Log Lady is somehow aware of this other timeline? Nice analysis.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I'm the Muffin wrote:Would be very interested in a thread for this! Didn't Everett McGill let slip in an interview that he filmed a scene with Steven? He said something about Big Ed being someone whom the young people of Twin Peaks feel they can confide in--and that he was shocked by the actions of Steven (presumably in the trailer scene with Becky) compared with how he was behaving in the scene they shared.
Unfortunately, I think everyone misconstrued this one somehow. There was a scene with the guy in a jumper from part 8 that was filmed at Big Ed's Gas Farm that people confused with a scene with Steven as far as I know. Perhaps Everett was referring to Ed as someone in general being someone people turn to in his interview. The one he let slip was the diner scene with him and Bobby, in the Entertainment Tonight Comic Con interview.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Ross wrote:Time for people to pull out all the on-location pics and compile a list of deleted material!

I'm almost positive the Shelly/Red scene outside the diner (during the day) was just rehearsal for the night scene we eventually saw in the show. Not sure on the others.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

cgs027 wrote:I'd have to imagine we'll get some sort of Missing Pieces equivalent, especially now that Showtime has a piece of the pie and wants to recoup their investment. By adding that to the DVD (yeah, I'm old school)/BluRay release, they will guarantee themselves more potential buys.

(Although I DO wonder how much additional footage really exists -- it may not be much at all).
I agree, I could see them trying to boost the Blu-ray sales by releasing extra scenes with our town favorites. Imagine how many people would buy it if they said there was a deleted Cooper/Audrey reunion (even if it's just a delusion in her head in her white space)? That's just smart marketing, especially if the scenes didn't fit for whatever reason in the context of the "movie."

You said something else that gave me pause...will there even be a DVD release? I'm snooty about quality and I really hope not, no offense haha. Lynch only released the Entire Mystery on Blu-ray so I wonder if he'll follow suit here.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I've watched Parts 17 + 18 four times now and I just cannot believe how brilliant they are. Without wanting to sound melodramatic (and failing!), I really can't face watching anything else anytime in the foreseeable future - I don't think anything in the world can come close to that. I'm still so wrecked tbh, it's a devastating finish. I love pretty much everything, but just to put some thoughts down:

The Bob orb scene is both terrifying and knowingly absurd in a way that veers close to humour.
Coop's goodbye in the sheriff station gets more painful every time you watch it.
Laura Dern's performance is out of this world. I understood the earlier season treatment of Diane (not as a tulpa obviously - didn't see that coming - but as a product of implied abuse by Bad Coop), but hoped we'd get more substantial stuff from Dern given her track record with intense performances under Lynch. The sex scene is so impeccably done, so haunting.
"Judy" is everything I hoped and more. Judy's World in the second half of E18 has to be one of Lynch's deepest and darkest rabbit holes.
The FWWM cut-in scenes are so so beautiful. I've cried every single time when it lands on "We're going home" and Laura Palmer's Theme swells. And the transition from B&W to colour! What was the deal with young Laura, was that a lookalike? Or digital de-ageing? It's hard to tell.
MacLachlan really does deserve an Emmy. His different parts have been played with such grace and command, he's moved me to no end. His fractured half-self in Odessa is one of his very best.
The ending will haunt me forever. And the final shot in slow motion, the inversed FWWM... ahh it's too much to take.

I feel so lucky and privileged to have seen this and to have spent the summer months living with Twin Peaks again. It will never happen again.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
cgs027 wrote:I'd have to imagine we'll get some sort of Missing Pieces equivalent, especially now that Showtime has a piece of the pie and wants to recoup their investment. By adding that to the DVD (yeah, I'm old school)/BluRay release, they will guarantee themselves more potential buys.

(Although I DO wonder how much additional footage really exists -- it may not be much at all).
I agree, I could see them trying to boost the Blu-ray sales by releasing extra scenes with our town favorites. Imagine how many people would buy it if they said there was a deleted Cooper/Audrey reunion (even if it's just a delusion in her head in her white space)? That's just smart marketing, especially if the scenes didn't fit for whatever reason in the context of the "movie."

You said something else that gave me pause...will there even be a DVD release? I'm snooty about quality and I really hope not, no offense haha. Lynch only released the Entire Mystery on Blu-ray so I wonder if he'll follow suit here.
It will definitely get a DVD release but I'm really hoping it goes to Blu Ray. With Showtime it's a little doubtful, but man I need to see this in HD.

On the topic of deleted scenes, I get the feeling there's probably very little given how it was written for the 18 hours.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Metamorphia wrote:It will definitely get a DVD release but I'm really hoping it goes to Blu Ray. With Showtime it's a little doubtful, but man I need to see this in HD.
It will, all Showtime shows do as far as I can tell.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
I'm the Muffin wrote:Would be very interested in a thread for this! Didn't Everett McGill let slip in an interview that he filmed a scene with Steven? He said something about Big Ed being someone whom the young people of Twin Peaks feel they can confide in--and that he was shocked by the actions of Steven (presumably in the trailer scene with Becky) compared with how he was behaving in the scene they shared.
Unfortunately, I think everyone misconstrued this one somehow. There was a scene with the guy in a jumper from part 8 that was filmed at Big Ed's Gas Farm that people confused with a scene with Steven as far as I know. Perhaps Everett was referring to Ed as someone in general being someone people turn to in his interview. The one he let slip was the diner scene with him and Bobby, in the Entertainment Tonight Comic Con interview.
that may have been Dana that let that scene slip. he mentioned was was quite stiff or something for the scene, and his first scene was with .... and turned to Everett before stopping. If i remember correctly a few people chuckled. I do recall Everett saying something about being a sort of mentor to the people in town. There was a scene with Red and Shelly (in uniform), someone mentioned they ran out of the diner and were hiding form someone (who was inside). It didn't really strike me as the scene that was in the series at the diner. I also remember a photo of a woman in the woods, around the time of the filming with the kids in the woods. I think she was a redhead or brown hair. It wasn't Miriam, and I think the implication at the time was that she was found dead. Wasn't the filming in the woods with the kids supposed to be horrific? That scene finding Miriam didn't seem to fit what had been seen on location.
I'm the Muffin
Roadhouse Member

Post by I'm the Muffin »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
This was a different slip-up of Everett's, during a different interview--he mentioned having a scene with 'Caleb' specifically.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

FredMadison wrote:Any significance to the cars? In episode 2 (I believe) Evil Coop puts his Mercedes in storage and gets a black Lincoln from Jack. Jack's face is crushed. The scenes that follow involve Darya and Evil Coop in the motel room. In episode 18, it's Good Coop (or Richard) driving, if not the same, an identical Lincoln? Or a Lincoln is simply just a default FBI Agent car, with no direct connection?
Mercedes: he was just hiding it.

Lincoln: default big bad govt. car.

What I find interesting is in 18 when Diane meets Coop in the woods, they go their 430 miles in a 1966 Ford Galaxie... or it might be a Lincoln. It is about a 1966 based on the tail lights. The hotel scene definitely occurred in the 60s. He then wakes up as Richard with a different hotel outside. Of course he knows the newer Lincoln (about 2010) is his, because that's the big bad govt. car.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

A complete diversion from the part 17-18 discussion from anyone that wants a break, and this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out. In giving a tiny bit of credence to a potential Nadine/Jacoby deleted scene, I find this curious. EW shot the actors in costume for their covers (the magazine credits the actual costume and makeup people from the show in the spread) and there's one outfit (outside of Audrey's heart ring) that wasn't worn at all as far as I can tell: Nadine's blouse. Nadine has a blouse on that doesn't match with anything we've seen her wear. I'll link to Ashok's uploads below for the comparisons.

I find it unlikely EW would just have a Nadine-esque blouse lying around they could put on Wendy for a shoot like this. Seems that would also cause some issues for "validity" of them being in costume, not to mention literally everyone else is in costume pieces from the new season. They threw Bobby's leather jacket from part 11 over what he was wearing in part 13 at the diner so I felt maybe they just threw Nadine's coat from part 15 over a blouse she had on in a deleted scene. Check out the photos below and let me know what you guys think!

EW stills with the blouse on (underneath her coat from part 15). You can see it sticking out at the collar and the end of the sleeves.
http://pixhost.org/show/736/42016470_ew ... 443534.jpg
http://pixhost.org/show/736/42016324_000250652hr.jpg

All of the Nadine episodic stills from the different parts:

Part 5
http://pixhost.org/show/733/41996668_00442.jpg

Part 10
http://www.imagebam.com/image/12d89e562877973
http://www.imagebam.com/image/f4b135562877923

Part 12 (extended footage/same costume as part 5)
http://pixhost.org/show/380/48079691_rr-00406-r.jpg

Part 13
http://pixhost.org/show/46/48558983_00487.jpg

Part 15
http://pixhost.org/show/220/49578403_00223.jpg
http://pixhost.org/show/220/49578401_00189.jpg
http://pixhost.org/show/220/49578404_00275.jpg
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

wxray wrote:
FredMadison wrote:Any significance to the cars? In episode 2 (I believe) Evil Coop puts his Mercedes in storage and gets a black Lincoln from Jack. Jack's face is crushed. The scenes that follow involve Darya and Evil Coop in the motel room. In episode 18, it's Good Coop (or Richard) driving, if not the same, an identical Lincoln? Or a Lincoln is simply just a default FBI Agent car, with no direct connection?
Mercedes: he was just hiding it.

Lincoln: default big bad govt. car.

What I find interesting is in 18 when Diane meets Coop in the woods, they go their 430 miles in a 1966 Ford Galaxie... or it might be a Lincoln. It is about a 1966 based on the tail lights. The hotel scene definitely occurred in the 60s. He then wakes up as Richard with a different hotel outside. Of course he knows the newer Lincoln (about 2010) is his, because that's the big bad govt. car.
Tv in room is from the 90s. Definitely not set in the 60s
I'm back in style!
PDCampbell

Post by PDCampbell »

TheGum wrote: Also- it does seem like Cooper really does just move right on rather than consider what his Doppelcoop did. I wonder about that. Dream logic? Delayed reaction? Thoughtless writing?
If we believe the idea that Cooper is still struggling with his karmic lessons and has yet to understand that suffering/acceptance leads to enlightenment, then I could see him willfully ignoring his own pain, the pain of others, and especially the pain he has caused others in order to pursue his mission.

Someone refresh my memory- we know that Lodge dwellers can see the actions happening on earth. I was under the impression Cooper was able to observe the actions of his doppelgänger. If that's the case, then he should be fully aware of the trauma caused to Diane, to Audrey (and incidentally Richard), etc. It certainly gives his scenes with Diane a really ugly undercurrent.

I think the split- the moment in the sheriff's office when Cooper's face overlaps the action on screen- is a big part of this though I have no clue how or why.