The X-Files: I Want to Believe

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheArm
Great Northern Member

The X-Files: I Want to Believe

Post by TheArm »

I know this is a Twin Peaks forum so I hope it's ok that I'm posting this here, but figured I'd raise the topic since the two shows are so often linked to one another and share a lot of fans. Is anybody here excited about and/or planning to see the movie this weekend? I loved the series, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what Mulder & Scully have been up to, but am getting a bad "FWWM-August '92" feeling in terms of its box office potential. Given how long the franchise has been dormant, it needed special handling in the marketing/distribution dept. and Fox has done a pretty poor job overall, and I think it'll wind up getting overshadowed by The Dark Knight in its second week. I am impressed that Chris Carter & co. have done such a good job in this day and age of keeping the plot under such tight wraps, even if I'm not convinced that this was the best strategy, as it seems to have bred apathy and indifference instead of rabid curiosity.

Just curious to see what other TP/XF fans think?
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
my socks are on fire

Re: The X-Files: I Want to Believe

Post by my socks are on fire »

Have a camping trip planned, probably wouldn't see it anyways. Waiting until it shows up at a second-run 'beer theatre' here in Portland.

Don't have much hopes for it, in fact, I didn't feel like the first movie should have been made. Watched it on TV again a month ago and it felt forced - I just don't buy Mulder as a action hero. From the all the helicopters and FBI extras in the commercials, I can tell they've tried to make this one into something they think is 'big screen worthy' as well. Like the shots of Billy Connolly bleeding from his eyes though, maybe the scary aspect will carry it.

I'll wish Major Briggs well if I see him in the woods this weekend...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I shall take that as a resounding "NO" then...
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

When I purchased the Mythology DVD sets at Best Buy last week, I received free passes to this film, and I attended a showing several hours ago. As critics have stated, the film is essentially an extended television episode, and its scope is fairly limited. Some people go missing in West Virginia, and Mulder and Scully assist the FBI in its attempts to locate them. Of course, some supernatural elements are involved, too. While I wasn't overly impressed by the film, I did enjoy it, and I would think that anyone who loves the characters of Mulder and Scully would enjoy it, too, as there are some interesting revelations pertaining to their personal lives.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I have to say that I was pretty disappointed in it. Chris Carter & Frank Spotnitz talk about how they've been waiting to tell this story for years. Really? Six years and this is the best you could come up with? What really surprised me was how "small" it was, especially for what is essentially supposed to be a big summer franchise studio movie. Apparently its budget was $30 mil, which is shockingly low for a major studio release (let alone a summer movie), and it shows; it looks like the movie was made fast and on the cheap, and Fox's marketing wasn't much better. It's more of a character/relationship mystery-drama than a "supernatural thriller," and it was a really lame, Lifetime-y medical drama subplot that takes Scully away from Mulder for half of the movie! And the supernatural content is pretty minimal; Billy Connolly may or may not be a psychic, that's it.

Anyway, its performance at the box office was pretty terrible ($10.2 mil for opening weekend in the US). Given that its budget was really low, it really isn't that much of a disaster for Fox, but will likely be the nail in The X-Files' coffin. Ugh - it feels like Aug. '92 all over again!! :(
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

Yep, it looks like this will be the final X-Files film. Bummer.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The film has a very low budget, so it ought to make its money back on international ticket sales, DVD and Blu-ray. I hope this isn't the end for The X Files, but I'd rather the money had been spent on a couple of straight-to-DVD films or a miniseries!
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

I saw the film last Sunday here in the UK, and must say I was a bit disappointed. Had expected more from this film, after all this time that had passed since the final episode of the TV series aired. I wouldn't say I was a fan of The X Files, but I enjoyed watching it, mostly for the supernatural themed episodes. Not that much into aliens and UFOs.

The movie was not bad by any means. It was just like watching any action thriller. If it wasn't for the presence of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson it could have been any movie. I think that is the problem with this film.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I thought it was one of the best experiences I've ever had watching "The X-Files", and don't really understand the negative reaction many have had to it.(I think it mostly have to do with negative hype from the first few reviews, combined with lackluster ticket sales opening weekend, due to "The Dark Knight". A solid science fiction plot, that i only wish was explored more in detail, and great performances from Duchovny, Anderson, Connoly and Peet, what's not to like.
Maybe people were surprised that the plot was more like a season 1 or 2, "X-Files" story (or maybe even a "MillenniuM" story). The film had fared much better had it been released in fall.