Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by claaa7 »

Novalis wrote:I don't know about you but I'm terrified of the woman with the key to Jeffries' room.

I feel as though Malachy Sreenan was cast as 'Bosomy Woman' for at least two reasons, which seem mutually contradictory but oh well here goes: i) pretty strong resemblance to Bonnie Aarons and ii) so they could get a weirdly-pitched deep voice to use without using dubbing.

I lean towards number ii) being of significance. Pitch-altered voices have been used before in Lynch (e.g. 'Yeah! Yeah! Pigeons spread diseases, and mess up the place; you've seen it' in WaH; also in Dune) but as an effect it leaves something to be desired. Better is to have the voice actually coming from the body in real-time for a host of reasons. So we have a male actor playing the Bosomy-Woman in order that the voice is nice and deep and gravelly-raspy. It's also recorded backwards, played forwards so we get the strange pre-echo on the hard consonants as in MJA waiting room scenes.
agreed, but i don't think it's only significant bc of the voice but also to make her stand out as more creepy/otherworldly in apperance. similiarily to how they had a male play a disfigured female in "Pet Semetary" to pretty damn unsettling effect:

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Hope this is ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

KyleRickards wrote:Image

Hope this is ok

why wouldn't it be? can we please stop posting with spoiler tags in the threads specific to the latest episode.. we have all seen the same thing and anything else is just pure speculation and welcome to the discussion.. thx for the pic
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

claaa7 wrote:

Hope this is ok

why wouldn't it be? can we please stop posting with spoiler tags in the threads specific to the latest episode.. we have all seen the same thing and anything else is just pure speculation and welcome to the discussion.. thx for the pic
Welcome, I don't think I have put things in spoilers on here. I worried about the pic as for some reason my Tapatalk is hit and miss with pictures...

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

KyleRickards wrote:
claaa7 wrote:

Hope this is ok

Welcome, I don't think I have put things in spoilers on here. I worried about the pic as for some reason my Tapatalk is hit and miss with pictures...

sorry didn't mean to say that you specifically been using spoiler tags, just that i've seen it done from time to time in this thread and this seemed like a good time to adress it
opium
Roadhouse Member

Post by opium »

Deep Thought wrote:
opium wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
Oh please. Give me a break.
Why should I?
Because you're being condescending. A "colossal exercise in pretension." If you've enjoyed it then in what way to you consider it pretentious, assuming of course a no-name writer/director had created it? How many great authors and directors are constantly called pretentious? What does it mean? That you don't like it after all? Is it a synonym for slow-paced or unconventional? Not enough mass appeal? Maybe you mean it is not sufficiently plot-driven.

By calling something pretentious, you are claiming that others who enjoy the work are mistaken. In order for this claim to be correct, you have to back it up with something other than your personal tastes. Otherwise, just say you don't like it. So again, give me a break here.
Telling someone to trust "the masters" while essentially saying they just don't get it is far more condescending.

I've enjoyed the bulk of it, but not all of it. There are bits that exceptional and bits that are exceptionally poor - and I can understand why someone would feel that the exceptionally poor parts ruin the whole thing. And the poor parts are pretentious, no doubt 'bout it. Watching a guy sweep for 10 mins to test "audience patience" is pretentious and a poor execution. There are many ways to create ideas and engage audience - or testing them, however you wanna phrase it - but sitting there watching Jacoby paint or a guy sweep is not good, and whatever meaning you derive from it doesn't account that it breaks up the pacing and flow of the episodes.

Pretension exists when something grand is executed poorly. And saying something is pretentious doesn't accuse anything of the audience, but only of the artist.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

DougieCoop will be OK. He inserted the fork in the large blade of the socket. N. American code dictates that this is the neutral, which is ultimately bounded to ground. The hot wire is the smaller blade.

... sorry ... Just a pet peeve of mine. You'd think one of the set electricians could have given a little guidance here. Maybe they did, and the set dresser didn't have a fork that fit right.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

wxray wrote:DougieCoop will be OK. He inserted the fork in the large blade of the socket. N. American code dictates that this is the neutral, which is ultimately bounded to ground. The hot wire is the smaller blade.

... sorry ... Just a pet peeve of mine. You'd think one of the set electricians could have given a little guidance here. Maybe they did, and the set dresser didn't have a fork that fit right.
He came out of an outlet and swapped places with another person who got turned into a gold bead. I think whichever part of the outlet he stuck the fork into matters little when it comes to this story.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Pinky wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
Esselgee wrote:
Maybe she left her cabin to Cooper and he can live the rest of his life there assuming he wakes up.
I love this idea :)
I don't know, living in a house in the woods near to the portal that claimed a quarter century of your life might make it hard to move on. Like moving in next door to your ex.
True :D.

But I think if Cooper makes it out of this season alive,it will be as equally hard to resubmerge himself in a world where he's constantly reminded of the life experiences and people he missed out on. I think he could easily become quieted, more of a recluse, after this whole experience sadly. My guess is this is why Janey-E and Sonny-Jim are in the story, so that our hero has the option of living the life he missed out on, even if it's not the one he chose.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Maybe Cooper will end up looking for Annie once everything has settled. Wouldn't he still have feelings for her? Or did 25 years of being trapped make him forget about her? They could have a double wedding: Ed/Norma and Dale/Annie.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Xavi wrote:Didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this has already been mentioned, sorry beforehand. Anyway, Audrey really seems to suffer from what they used to call a "locked-in syndrome."

What do I remember from Sunset Blvd? Well, that factually it was a story told by a dead person. Talking of such, this episode 15 ( 7 + 8 ) represented love and death to the extreme. And did you notice that Jeffreys "lived" at number 8.
I believe Freddie and James were in cells 7 & 8 also.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Hester Prynne wrote:But I think if Cooper makes it out of this season alive,it will be as equally hard to resubmerge himself in a world where he's constantly reminded of the life experiences and people he missed out on. I think he could easily become quieted, more of a recluse, after this whole experience sadly. My guess is this is why Janey-E and Sonny-Jim are in the story, so that our hero has the option of living the life he missed out on, even if it's not the one he chose.
As much as I want Cooper to return to the FBI and perhaps get reinstated, I'm going to miss Janey-E and Sonny-Jim. I really hope Janey-E learns the whole truth about Coop and his connection with Diane. I'll be over the moon if she decides to stay by Agent Cooper's side once Season 3 reaches its conclusion.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

Troubbble wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
Far from confident, but given the terrifying emphasis placed on her during the end credits, I'm strongly suspicious of the "bosomy woman" who opened the door for Cooper. Surprised no one seems to be wondering whether she could be Judy...
I've been accused of being a glory hog around here, but I did propose this theory. It's several pages back on this thread.
"No one" was hyperbole... Guess what I meant was that I expected MORE to be speculating about this.

Lynch put strong emphasis on that woman for a reason. (And yes, in the world of the show, it's a woman. Don't care that the actor is male.)
i love how open minded 99% of twin peaks fans are. gotta love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Does anyone think we'll see anymore of Big Ed and Norma? I hope this isn't the last we see of them, we only got Big Ed in two "parts" :cry: I would love to see them planning their wedding or sharing their bliss with Bobby and Shelly and helping reunite them.