Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

vawriter

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by vawriter »

Esselgee wrote:So now that we have someone else talking about Billy and Tina can we rule out Audrey being in a coma? I think it probably also rules out her being in a mental hospital also.

So I guess James ended up being the one who works for Ben and not Bobby.
I don't think we can rule out anything on this show! Those ladies also spoke about the "nut house" so Audrey could be in a vegetative state (like her brother) and hearing these stories, which then end up in her "reality" (which are the scenes we are seeing between her and Charlie).
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

After being inundated with drone shots on everything imaginable in the last few years I have to say the drone shot thru the forest was awesome and eerie.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

DeepBlueSeed wrote: To be fair it's not far off what a lot of people here in London do sound like, but because it's very different from what I expect to hear in a US show it automatically sounds like Hollywood Cockney, even when it's the real deal. It takes a while for me to get used to a character before I can ignore that. And, unless I rematch this part many times over, I'm probably not going to get beyond seeing this guy as a bit of a gimmick (the magic glove thing really doesn't help either).
For my Chicago-born ear, this guy was a lot of fun. A challenge, if you will.

And I understand what you mean by expectations. Take Jim Belushi, for example. He's using his natural Chicago accent during Twin Peaks. But since it is Vegas, it doesn't bother me. When he actually plays a character that is in Chicago, he drives me nuts because it seems over the top. But I think that is just my sensitivity to past attempts by other actors at the accent, and my ear goes crazy.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I think if Sarah knew that Laura was being abused, or even suspected it, but failed to act, the guilt would probably have eaten her over the years. Maybe the thing that she is now is representative of that; a living creature whose insides are all blackened and vile. When she opened her face I just imagined we were looking inside her at all of her guilt and loneliness, and all the awful things that can do to a person over time.

I don't know if she is possessed. Laura in the Red Room could do the 'face-off' trick as a spirit/ghost. I think Sarah wasn't showing us who possessed her as much as she was showing us her real self, whatever that is now.

If Laura is some kind of embodiment of good/light, then maybe Sarah is some walking manifestation of evil and darkness. Maybe Sarah is the 'mother' that American Girl was warning Cooper about in ep. 3?
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

hopesfall wrote:
guildnavigator wrote:Can't believe nobody has mentioned that Windom Earle was researching Tulpas, as depicted in season two when Cooper and Truman are looking at the tape of Earle's research/lecture on the black lodge.
I thought that was Dugpas?
My mistake, you're right. I could have sworn they mentioned Tulpas, im trippin!
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

wxray wrote: Yep. After a few more listens, I'm with you. Grace's voice, just in a monster tone.
I have a theory about who this person credited as "Voice" may actually be in the series, even though it's a little unusual because I think he's being credited here for appearing in a different episode altogether. Remember in Part 2, we hear "Philip Jeffries" speak on the phone to Cooper, but that voice actor was never credited? Maybe they got permission from the actor to wait until this episode to give him his credit and did so in the same episode where Bowie gets his actual credit as Jeffries. That way they wouldn't need separate credits for "Philip Jeffries" and "Voice of Philip Jeffries." So he shows up here with the generic "Voice" credit. I bet that's it.
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

sewhite2000 wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:
roadkill wrote: The fact that Laura's picture features so prominently in the opening credits makes me believe she's still very much an integral part of the story's plot.
I hope so, but, for example, the Sarah Palmer scene was arresting and brilliant, however....it led me to worry that *if* the story is that Sarah Palmer has always been a monster (of some kind), this kind of takes away from the very real and startlingly accurate portrayal of incestuous abusive relationships, with a father who's abusive and a mother who ignores/represses/is in denial about it.

However, this may not be the case at all. But that's the basis of some of my worries I have had throughout the Return.
For these same reasons, I would prefer that Sarah's possession took place sometime after the events of the original series. I would also prefer her to not turn out to be Frog-Bug girl, which would also imply a possession. Although maybe it lay dormant for many years until recently?
My hope is that the mother/experiment has been drawn to her because of the suffering she experienced in the events shown in TP and FWWM. Perhaps even, to be even darker, because of the passivity she showed towards her daughter's abuse. These type of ideas would nicely build thematically on the story of Twin Peaks.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

bosguy1981 wrote:I have a theory about who this person credited as "Voice" may actually be in the series, even though it's a little unusual because I think he's being credited here for appearing in a different episode altogether. Remember in Part 2, we hear "Philip Jeffries" speak on the phone to Cooper, but that voice actor was never credited? Maybe they got permission from the actor to wait until this episode to give him his credit and did so in the same episode where Bowie gets his actual credit as Jeffries. That way they wouldn't need separate credits for "Philip Jeffries" and "Voice of Philip Jeffries." So he shows up here with the generic "Voice" credit. I bet that's it.
That's a really good point. Or perhaps they actually did re-dub the Jeffries flashback with the new "voice" actor that was in part 2?
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

sycamore wrote:
In part 7, Edward 'Ted' Dowling played the role credited as "Farmer"
In part 14, Jay Aaseng played the role credited as "Drunk"

See the complete cast and character list in the link in my signature

We may have seen someone who will turn out to be "Billy" in part 14 as the "Drunk".
Anything's possible but they have not pulled a switcheroo with anybody like that in the credits to this point. You can point to the Fireman but they literally used questions marks which was a way of telling us that his name was being kept a secret.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

vawriter wrote: I don't think we can rule out anything on this show! Those ladies also spoke about the "nut house" so Audrey could be in a vegetative state (like her brother) and hearing these stories, which then end up in her "reality" (which are the scenes we are seeing between her and Charlie).
I never considered that Audrey could be in a similar condition to Johnny, but I was always curious about that doll house that Johnny banged his head into in the pilot. There was something about the way that we saw Johnny slam into the doll house, from within the doll house, that I found interesting. Like maybe Audrey and Charlie are living inside of Johnny's Doll House, and they are looking at the rest of the world from this odd and fractured perspective. I really doubt that is the case though; Johnny always comes across as so relevant to the story to me, but he never really escapes 'minor tertiary character' status.
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

im so happy sarah has a bigger role in this. and what a role omg. grace is so great, i still remember her screams from s1
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

mtwentz wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Is anybody else in love with the fact that Monica Belluci showed up as herself in Gordon's dream? :lol:
Yes but we kinda knew that was going to happen already.
That's news to me, all I've seen is speculation that she'd possibly be playing Donna. :?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Any guesses as to who Renee might be married to?

Bobby?

Mike?

Chad?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Here's hoping the fury of momentum continues seeing as
I have felt a sense of let down each week after a great episode. Seems like I get let down, then a great episode followed by a slow one... with four hours left - take the foot off the brake - let's rock!
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

BGate wrote:Anything's possible but they have not pulled a switcheroo with anybody like that in the credits to this point. You can point to the Fireman but they literally used questions marks which was a way of telling us that his name was being kept a secret.
The only error I've seen so far is they didn't credit Al Strobel's hand with the ring in part 13. Perhaps there's some rule where if they don't show your face or use your voice, you don't have to be credited? But it was definitely him, reused footage of him from part 3 after the ring falls off Dougie's hand. All the other reused footage has been credited thus far.