Site Admin

Re: Blue Velvet 2011 Blu-ray Release with Deleted Scenes

Post by dugpa »

Wow. Those look great. I wish I could see them all now. :(
kafard
RR Diner Member

Blue Velvet 2011 Blu-ray Release with Deleted Scenes

Post by kafard »

I don't want to post more photos because I don't want to spoil the pleasure that you will have when you will watch at these deleted scenes.
But I have 20-30 pictures of them on my phone.
Yes, these pictures have been taken with an iPhone when I was watching them.

Ok, just one more! :)
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319248921.087069.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319248921.087069.jpg (120.04 KiB) Viewed 21111 times
A french little guy named : Dam.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Wow! kafard, those are great! Thanks!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Contest to promote the new Blu-ray....

http://dugpa.com/2011/10/21/blue-velvet ... y-contest/
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Well, I received the Blu-ray in the mail last night and watched all the deleted scenes. Some real gems in there! Especially some that seem to fill out the characters much better. RIP Francis Bay, she is in many deleted scenes from inside the Beaumont house.

Unfortunately, one deleted scene that I was really hoping to see isn't on the Blu-ray. In fact, there are two scenes that appeared in photo slideshow form on the 2002 special edition DVD, that aren't here in this 50 minutes. You can see the 2002 DVD's deleted scenes photo slideshow in it's entirety here in this thread (it might be back a page).

The two scenes not included are the "Look Down" mirror scene where Dorothy flushes the other ear, and the epilogue scene.

Didn't Dorothy commit suicide in the original ending? Was that ever filmed?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

jlyon1515 wrote:Well, I received the Blu-ray in the mail last night and watched all the deleted scenes. Some real gems in there! Especially some that seem to fill out the characters much better. RIP Francis Bay, she is in many deleted scenes from inside the Beaumont house.

Unfortunately, one deleted scene that I was really hoping to see isn't on the Blu-ray. In fact, there are two scenes that appeared in photo slideshow form on the 2002 special edition DVD, that aren't here in this 50 minutes. You can see the 2002 DVD's deleted scenes photo slideshow in it's entirety here in this thread (it might be back a page).

The two scenes not included are the "Look Down" mirror scene where Dorothy flushes the other ear, and the epilogue scene.

I need to buy a Blu-ray player for this occasion!! :) Didn't the 2002 deleted scenes montage also include a scene with Dorothy arguing with the man in the suit in her apartment? Is that one in the Blu-ray?

This page includes some short clips of some deleted scenes on the Blu-ray:
http://www.destroythebrain.com/2011/11/ ... -or-daddy/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I just read an article online that says Jeffrey's college girlfriend is played by Megan Mullally?!? (Karen from Will & Grace). For real?!?
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

bosguy1981 wrote:I need to buy a Blu-ray player for this occasion!! :) Didn't the 2002 deleted scenes montage also include a scene with Dorothy arguing with the man in the suit in her apartment? Is that one in the Blu-ray?
Yes, the 2002 montage included pictures of Dorothy arguing with the man in the suit in her apartment. That scene IS in the 50 minutes of new footage on the Blu-ray.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

bosguy1981 wrote:I just read an article online that says Jeffrey's college girlfriend is played by Megan Mullally?!? (Karen from Will & Grace). For real?!?
I thought his girlfriend looked familiar, but I'd have to watch again to confirm. Her IMDB page doesn't mention it (maybe because it was cut?). Come to think of it, I actually do think I remembered seeing her name in the deleted scene credits... I remember thinking "that name looks familiar" but it didn't click in and I just moved on to reading the other names in the list.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

jlyon1515 wrote:The two scenes not included are the "Look Down" mirror scene where Dorothy flushes the other ear, and the epilogue scene.

I wonder why the "Look Down" mirror scene wasn't included. Seems like such a dramatic moment, and was probably the scene I was most curious to see.

I think I remember reading that Dorothy's suicide was not filmed. I can't remember the source, but I seem to recall that it was an idea Lynch had before he had really settled on how the film would end. I do remember reading in Beautiful Dark or Lynch on Lynch that he struggled for a long time to decide on a good ending for the film.

jlyon1515 wrote:RIP Francis Bay, she is in many deleted scenes from inside the Beaumont house.
She's so great! I watched some of the outtakes/bloopers online and that one in front of the Beaumont house, with her running around in a fit of laughter was so precious. :D

By the way, what's the deal with the spelling of her name? IMDB lists Frances, and that's how she's credited in Twin Peaks and every other movie of hers I've seen. But I notice that the opening credits of Blue Velvet say Francis with an I. Was that a one-time typo in her movie career credits, or what?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

jlyon1515 wrote: Unfortunately, one deleted scene that I was really hoping to see isn't on the Blu-ray. In fact, there are two scenes that appeared in photo slideshow form on the 2002 special edition DVD, that aren't here in this 50 minutes. You can see the 2002 DVD's deleted scenes photo slideshow in it's entirety here in this thread (it might be back a page).

I was reading through the Blue Velvet screenplay (http://www.lynchnet.com/bv/bvscript.html) and I had an idea as to why the "flushing the other ear" scene might have been excluded from the set of Blu-Ray deleted scenes. This is kind of a random thought but...

The screenplay mentions that Jeffrey hears Dorothy screaming in the bathroom. He runs in to find her and she says, "I made it go down the toilet," and Jeffrey looks and sees the ear swirling down the toilet bowl. She doesn't actually say, "It was an ear" at any point so it seems like the shot of the ear in the toilet bowl is the only way the viewer knows what it is.

What if the close-up shot of the ear in the toilet bowl was not filmed during principal photography? That seems like the sort of thing that a director might say, "We can get that footage later" because you don't need the actors to be involved. Maybe by the time the insert shot would have been filmed, Lynch had already decided not to use the scene in the finished movie and therefore, the footage of the ear never got filmed.

I have no reason to think this actually happened, but it's just something I wondered about after reading the screenplay and seeing that the only reference to it being an ear is the one shot of the ear in the toilet, and -- according to the script -- a voiceover where Jeffrey is supposed to say, "Is [Frank] Santa Claus who left a present for Dorothy? What was it? An ear! Another ear!"
silenthiller119

Post by silenthiller119 »

I just finished watching the Deleted Scenes, and I can understand why they were taken out of the film, not just for the running time. However, I did like the scene where Dorothy takes Jeffrey to the roof the most.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

silenthiller119 wrote:However, I did like the scene where Dorothy takes Jeffrey to the roof the most.
That was also my favorite scene.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

bosguy1981 wrote: I was reading through the Blue Velvet screenplay (http://www.lynchnet.com/bv/bvscript.html) and I had an idea as to why the "flushing the other ear" scene might have been excluded from the set of Blu-Ray deleted scenes. This is kind of a random thought but...
I just assumed that it wasn't included because it wasn't part of the new footage they recently discovered.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

jlyon1515 wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote: I was reading through the Blue Velvet screenplay (http://www.lynchnet.com/bv/bvscript.html) and I had an idea as to why the "flushing the other ear" scene might have been excluded from the set of Blu-Ray deleted scenes. This is kind of a random thought but...
I just assumed that it wasn't included because it wasn't part of the new footage they recently discovered.
Lynch was interviewed by Entertainment Weekly last week and he seemed to indicate he found ALL the scenes that were cut ("Every single frame. Nothing was lost"), so I'm wondering if there's some other reason he chose not to include some of them for the Blu-ray. Here's what he said:

In an interview with EW, Lynch explained that the discarded sequences have been missing for years. Seriously? "As lost as lost can be,"insists the director, calling from Paris where he's currently participating in an art exhibition and celebrating the opening of nightclub called Silencio, inspired by the dream theater featured in the 2001 picaresque puzzler that gave him his third Oscar nod, Mulholland Drive. "The scenes were found in a storage facility near Seattle. I don't know how come they couldn't be found, but apparently there were a couple of pieces of paper that ended up being like a Rosetta stone that connected the dots and led right to them. Every single frame. Nothing was lost It's a super, super gift, really. I loved these things, even though they weren't right for the film, on their own, I adore them."Lynch is particularly fond of the scenes with Jeffrey's Aunt Barbara, played by Frances Bay. (Remember the lady who fought with Jerry Seinfeld over the marble rye? That's her.) In one deadpan quirky and vaguely sinister passage, Aunt Barbara goes hunting for termites. The helmer says it's a "great sadness"to him that the actress, who died on Sept. 15 at the age of 92, "never saw how great she was."