Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by Fernanda »

I seriously doubt we will find this set at this price around here anytime soon. Blurays are too expensive here in the jungle.
http://acritica.uol.com.br/manaus/Amazo ... 076_15.jpg

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-rBmm22 ... k_to_work/
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Going back to discussion about the stain on the rug/vision of Maddy I'm fairly convinced, the stain is in no way blood, but SCORCHED OIL.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

nemo wrote:Going back to discussion about the stain on the rug/vision of Maddy I'm fairly convinced, the stain is in no way blood, but SCORCHED OIL.
Nobody has ever presented a convincing viewpoint on the oil - what is your understanding of that please?
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

I saw that comment on the BluRay forum but i've found no tweets to back it up :|
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote: I'm confused. Are the second pics fan made (desaturated)?
Yeah, they were showing the color the series should have, a colder autumnal color like the pilot.
I don't like it. If some people were complaining the MK2 transfer for FWWM looked green, this one looks completely blue. I mean, look at the owl :lol:

Ross wrote: I mean, the bluray color matches the Gold Box color. So why complain now? Besides that, and more importantly, the original broadcast version was very brown/orange/pink. That's the saturation that Twin Peaks has always had.
Exactly. CBS has to respect the colors of the original negative, maybe correct a few minor stuff but that's about it.
Right. The colder, desaturated look seems like a really goofy argument to make. Twin Peaks has never looked like those desaturated shots.

I mean maybe one could argue that those desaturated shots are more realistic/naturalistic in color, but so what? The brown/pink/orange hues and tints have always been part of the Twin Peaks look/pallet.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:I mean maybe one could argue that those desaturated shots are more realistic/naturalistic in color, but so what? The brown/pink/orange hues and tints have always been part of the Twin Peaks look/pallet.
Oh yes! It was stated clearly in one of the commentaries on Aristan Season 1 DVDs (if I remember correctly Dunham's commentary for episode 1).
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Duwayne Dunham's commentary for episode 1:

It's the red, the use of the coral filters. But in the timing of the picture, we tweaked it. We purposely kept it overly warm. I think the idea was... Even the colours in the set. Everything is warm. The outside is so dark, misty, snowy, rainy, and inside it's warm.

Somehow that works with the story of "Twin Peaks". I personally tend to like a warm look. In everything I do, I go toward warm. I go toward the Kodak afternoon. I stay away from the greens and the skin tone. I can't even imagine it some other way. That's just what it is. The cinematography in "Twin Peaks" is purposely shot with coral filters and then graded toward the red, as you see in this scene. Every scene in the movie, every scene in the pilot is timed this way purposely. One of the things it gives you is a warm, comfortable feeling, a warm look, and the exteriors are rather misty, rainy, snowy, cold. More distant. This makes it a little more homey.

One of the experiences we had in the timing of the picture was that the colour timers would say to us: "If I was watching this at home, I would turn the red out of it and it would look OK. If I see my TV looking like this, something's wrong with it. Something's wrong with my TV and I'll just tune it out."

That was a real problem. The colour was real important in the movie. David actually went so far as to send a representative to the network when they made their transfer to make sure that guy didn't walk up, turn that little knob and get the colours a little bit more realistic than what we chose for the show, which is this red, warm look.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Thanks for posting that Q! It's the perfect explanation of Twin Peaks' warm red look!
Last edited by Ross on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Nobody has ever presented a convincing viewpoint on the oil - what is your understanding of that please?
I must confess, saying ,,fairly convinced'' was a slight exaggeration of mine. The idea struck me today out of sudden when I was brushing my teeth...
In my opinion there can be three ways how to interpret Maddy's vision on the carpet. The stain, which suddenly appeared can be taken as:
1. blood
2. trace of Maddy's bleeding body
3. scorched oil

All explanations are quite plausible in my view. The first two refer to the future events of Maddy's murder. BUT there are several reasons, which make these two interpretations look not so credible:
a) Maddy's body didn't lose so much blood to produce a whole pool of blood, such as the one which appears in the vision - there should have been much more severe injuries). After commiting the murder BOB as usual immediately went on to the next customary stage of putting the piece of paper with a letter under Maddy's nail and wrapping her body in plastic. So the body didn't have simply time to bleed on the floor to create a pool. Maddy didn't have cut injuries on her back.
b) Maddy's body couldn't leave such a liquid pattern with her face turned to the ceiling. Blood left on the carpet surface by her head couldn't leave such a large spot too. Using her position BOB wouldn't have allowed the body to bleed. It was his wish to get the business done quickly.
c) blood/ bloody trace of body couldn't create a liquid pool, because the carpet would have absorbed it immediately (taking into account the amount of blood Maddy lost)
d) after the murder the body would have left some traces in form of bloody stripes or fringe which surrounded the body, not a pool.
e) the color of stain is not red, but brown (it doesn't have any reddish hue at all). Even proceeding from the fact, that blood changes its color in time, it is hardy plausible, because it had to remain there more time, than it did.

This all said I think, the idea of blood would fit more to horror movies. That's why I like to explain it as scorched oil. It is brown colored and as far as I remember, it was the pilot of the second season, which introduced the concept of scorched oil in the series for the very first time (the words of Jacoby). Apart from that Maddy mentiones a stone from her dream, which can serve as a reference to the entrance to the Lodge. There are some stones round the pool in the Glastonberry Grove.

I must apologize for some inconsistencies, if they take place, because I must admit, that I don't remember, how large the stain is and there can be some details which faded away in my memory, because it has been 7 years since I watched TWIN PEAKS last time. I'm looking forward to revisit TWIN PEAKS once again, seeing more things that happened during the last 7 days of Laura Palmer + some other things from the series.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

You know what's good? Found out my local store is stocking the boxed set.

You know what sucks? They have it in stock and have to wait until Tuesday to sell it :(
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Photos by @garmonbozia & @alonelikemacauly
Attachments
BtgRQBBCQAIX1fY.jpg
BtgRQBBCQAIX1fY.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 9225 times
BtgSFKrCMAEK10q.jpg
BtgSFKrCMAEK10q.jpg (119.81 KiB) Viewed 9233 times
BtgPSaECAAAk1cK.jpg
BtgPSaECAAAk1cK.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 9233 times
BtgRIefCUAE9cOt.jpg
BtgRIefCUAE9cOt.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 9234 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

What are the special features listed on that disc and which disc is it? We weren't aware of most of those, were we?
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

That looks awesome! Were you able to film the comic con panel or was it too clip heavy?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I wasn't there and haven't seen any sign of a video.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I sure hope this first ABC promo is on the box set: