Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gabriel »

Watching that trailer brought the 18-year-old version of me back to life for a moment! Wow! I've been waiting for new TP material for 21 years! I hope this can press be some interest for a new Twin Peaks on Netflix or the like. I've got this pre-ordered. The reason I've worked in the media for most of my life is through the inspiration Twin Peaks gave me at the age of 15.

I even got to edit a documentary David Lynch appeared in last year (not Side By Side although I highly recommend that film to anyone with an interest in the business!)

Very very happy!!
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Thank you for putting up a screen cap where it is visibly seen, that there is no slit. Actually I watched the trailer only two times, the second time showing it to my family trying to read the reaction. Somewhere in google I found a dark screen shot, that's why I thought the throat was cut.

When I saw how the transportation scene with Jeffries was executed I thought the effects were original and outdated, anyway not visual effects, but ideas are whose things, which rule!
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

This is such an exciting time for Twin Peaks fans!
I was really surprised to find out this is really happening. I don't have a blu-ray player and I have always said that the only reason for me to ever buy one is if some kind of a Twin Peaks set not available in other formats will be released. :D

I don't really care about the HD update, and it wouldn't even matter as my only TV is still an old CTR television.
But man... The extras on this set........ Tons of hyper exciting material! And FINALLY the deleted scenes of FWWM! I'm already satisfied that I've been able to see the two minutes worth of material from that trailer, so I'm really stoked about the possibility to see nearly 90 minutes of new stuff.

By the way, there has been discussions if we should read the unseen stuff from the screenplay as canon. Some were for it and some were against. What are your opinions now? They still aren't part of the movie but now they are going to exist in an official Twin Peaks release. I personally think that all the new material should be seen as part of the canon, as David Lynch has been quoted in the press release saying “During the last days in the life of Laura Palmer many things happened, which have never been seen before. They're here now alongside the new transfer of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and Twin Peaks, the television series.” So Lynch thinks of these materials as things that have happened in the world of Twin Peaks.

Some thoughts about the trailer:

That was as good of a fan service that fan service could be! They managed to show the known parts (fight with Cable, Ed and Norma, the appearance of Truman and co...) but they also showed some of the really juicy parts that shows that we will indeed see new stuff from the Red Room and what happened to Phillip Jeffries! And I'm sure the juiciest parts weren't in the trailer...

There are some concerns too though.. Will they show a more talky version of the Convenience Room scene? Will they show Bob talking? "Light of new discoveries." Will that work? I kinda like see Bob saying "I have the fury of my own momentum" though :)
The Jeffries special effect was also a bit on the cheesy side (it's not the best green screen effect ever made, and you can see Phillips "ghost arm" over the railing where it should not be - perhaps they fix the effect to the final release), although in the trailer the slow motion shot of Philip screaming and that music starting to play gives the scene a really sad feeling. The agony and pain of a body moving through space and time is done really well by Bowie. But then again, that might just be because of that trailer. I'm a tad worried the scene could end up being too funny with that effect and if the guy at the hotel really says "de shit it come out of my ass" :D
Well, no matter how it ends up being, I'm sure I will enjoy whatever they decide to show me.

I never realized that the part in the Jeffries scene in the movie where he screams in close-up is from the part after he has teleported back to Buenos Aires. If you look closely, you can even see a small part of the railing behind Jeffries! I always thought that scream happened in the office but he actually screamed in Buenos Aires.

And the last part where Cooper blows a kiss must be from that part of him talking to Diane. I'm really excited to see that too. We haven't ever been able to be so "close" to Diane before :)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Paramount Brazil just set the date for the release in Brazil: August 1st.
The price is almost the double tho. Bluray sets are really expensive here.
The cheaper way would be to import from the UK. Anyone knows if it's gonna be region B locked? My player is not region free :(
Leo K
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by Leo K »

Anne wears her Miss Twin Peaks dress AND Caroline's dress in the Black Lodge. Caroline's dress points to Caroline being Coop's love. Therefore, two of Coop's loves combined in the Black Lodge. Therefore, NOT a continuity error. Caroline's dress on Anne outside the Black Lodge is a beautiful ambiguity. A dream-like schism.

I'm surprised Anne wearing Caroline's dress is so confusing.
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

It is apparently a continuity error because we saw Annie wearing the Miss Twin Peaks black dress OUTSIDE the Lodge in episode 29... Waiting to see the whole thing (we're discussing 4 or 5 seconds of footage here) the only explanation is that she somehow brought that Caroline-Annie combination outside, changing clothes like she does in the Lodge... The only other moment in the series which reminds me of this is Briggs dressed as a pilot, like if those clothes were given to him by the White Lodge.

BTW, I don't remember...is she bleeding in episode 29?
Leo K
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by Leo K »

Gordon wrote:It is apparently a continuity error because we saw Annie wearing the Miss Twin Peaks black dress OUTSIDE the Lodge in episode 29... Waiting to see the whole thing (we're discussing 4 or 5 seconds of footage here) the only explanation is that she somehow brought that Caroline-Annie combination outside, changing clothes like she does in the Lodge... The only other moment in the series which reminds me of this is Briggs dressed as a pilot, like if those clothes were given to him by the White Lodge.

My bad, I forgot that we do see her black dress on outside the lodge. Aces!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Leo K wrote:Anne wears her Miss Twin Peaks dress AND Caroline's dress in the Black Lodge. Caroline's dress points to Caroline being Coop's love. Therefore, two of Coop's loves combined in the Black Lodge. Therefore, NOT a continuity error. Caroline's dress on Anne outside the Black Lodge is a beautiful ambiguity. A dream-like schism.

I'm surprised Anne wearing Caroline's dress is so confusing.
Gordon wrote:It is apparently a continuity error because we saw Annie wearing the Miss Twin Peaks black dress OUTSIDE the Lodge in episode 29... Waiting to see the whole thing (we're discussing 4 or 5 seconds of footage here) the only explanation is that she somehow brought that Caroline-Annie combination outside, changing clothes like she does in the Lodge... The only other moment in the series which reminds me of this is Briggs dressed as a pilot, like if those clothes were given to him by the White Lodge.

Exactly- if we hadn't seen that final shot of Annie OUTSIDE the Lodge in episode 29, there would be no continuity error. And yes, her face is bloodied outside the Lodge in that final shot (as well as inside the Lodge as she lies next to Cooper in Caroline's dress).
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Wonder if we get to see the one armed man pinching out the circle of candles while saying "fire walk with me" backwards.

Al Strobel mentioned filming this scene in an interview on the artisan set.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

guildnavigator wrote:Wonder if we get to see the one armed man pinching out the circle of candles while saying "fire walk with me" backwards.<br abp="714"><br abp="715">Al Strobel mentioned filming this scene in an interview on the artisan set.
I think it is very likely. I read there would be over 30 deleted/alternate scenes so have gone over the script again. These are the scenes I think and hope will be included:

1 Desmond/Stanley walk to car/talk to Irene at the parking lot outside Hap's Diner
2 extended scene: Desomond/Stanley/Carl at the trailer park
3 Desmond fights Cable (in the trailer)
4 Cooper visits Stanley (in the trailer)
5 extended scene: Cooper/Albert/Cole/Jeffries in FBI office + convenience store + phillips jeffries in buenos aires (in the trailer)
6 extended scene: Laura/Donna/Eileen at the Hayward House
7 Sarah bumps into Laura heading out with the secret diary
8 Sarah sets the table questioning Laura / Leland speaks as a giant (in the trailer)
9 Laura meets up with trucker
10 extended scene: Nadine/Ed enters diner / Laura prepares MOW / Shelly tells Norma Laura just left (in the trailer)
11 extended scene: Laura crying on the lawn when neighbour sees her / Laura goes back in the house to see Bob is gone
12 Laura/Donna/Doc Hayward/Eileen at the Hayward house (in the trailer)
13 extended scene: Shelly/Leo at the Johnson house (in the trailer)
14 Sarah talking to Laura as she can't find the jumper that she is wearing
15 Norma/Ed in the car (in the trailer)
16 Laura/Donna in car with Tommy and Buck + Laura/Donna outside Partyland (in the trailer)
17 Josie/Pete/Dell Mibbler (in the trailer)
18 The one armed man kneeling before the circle of candles
19 Flashback: Teresa on phone with Jacques / Teresa on phone with Leland (in the trailer)
20 Truman/Andy/Hawk at the sheriff station (in the trailer)
21 Laura at breakfast on the morning of Johnny Horne's birthday
22 extended scene: Laura/Bobby in the high school hallway planning to meet up for the drug deal with James and Donna at the end of the scene
23 Laura/Bobby in school next day when he hands her the drug money (in the trailer)
24 Bobby discovers the drugs were laxative (in the trailer)
25 Laura on the phone with Jacoby (in the trailer)
26 Truman/Andy/Hawk/Lucy at the sheriff station
27 Laura/Sarah eating asparagus for dinner
28 extended scene: Laura/Bobby/Betty/Major Briggs
29 extended scene: Laura sees Leland coming home as she sneaks out to meet James (in the trailer)
30 Log Lady cries on the night of the murder (in the trailer)
31 Cooper/LMFAP in the red room (in the trailer)
32 Annie in the hospital (in the trailer)
33 Cooper lying on the bathroom floor
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Photo by Charles de Lauzirika:
Attachments
1400591809000-twinpeaks-b2w-lauzirika-color.jpg
1400591809000-twinpeaks-b2w-lauzirika-color.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 9560 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Will this new set contain the extras from the Paramount Season 2 DVD box? I sold that one back because I thought the artwork looked horrible and it paled in comparison to the Artisan Season 1 box...but I suppose it would be nice to have the extras again (even though they weren't that great).

Will it contain anything from the Artisan box?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

jlyon1515 wrote:I'm pretty sure they would make sure that Bowie wasn't IN FRONT of the railing. You can see he was just placed on top. Today, they at least draw a line where that railing is, and make sure the bowie footage was correctly behind the rail.
When I read this before I thought you were talking about the other railing for some reason. Now I see that you were talking about that light haze on the railing that's closer to the viewer. Interesting. I wasn't even thinking about that, but rather the effect of the blurred Bowie beaming into the scene before he's completely materialized.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

I am wondering if there will be another trailer?
You know, in a few weeks?
July 29th is still so very far away!
;)
-23-
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Yeah, I thought you were confused with what I was trying to say, Jasper. :) Anyway, I still think the effect is from that time period.