Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoil

Post by marchug »

Audrey Horne wrote:Wait until you see the behind the scene photos this time!
I had to take a break! there are so many extras. Today has been the BEST!!!!
-23-
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

I am completely unimpressed with amazon. Their gauranteed "receive it the day it comes out" that I paid extra for turned out to be a waste of money. I waited yeaaaaaars for this, they somehow double charged me and yet I have no packages today. What a joke. I'd go buy it in person but then I'd be paying $450 until amazon refunds the other two. None of these situations are acceptable for me.
Neosmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by Neosmith »

So just saw the Missing Pieces - man, these are amazing.

The role of the ring in these pieces is a LOT clearer, especially with the whole "intercourse between two worlds" dialogue pertaining to "I thee wed."

There are several scenes I would've loved to see in the movie, but I can see why a lot of stuff was cut.

Btw, there was a brief bit with MIKE doing a reverse candle circle thing - was that shot off-script? I don't recall ever reading about it.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Having just watched Disc 10, I want to congratulate Dugpa on such a terrific job with the documentary! It was so smart, I loved hearing from people we don't often hear from like Pamela Gidley, and it delved into specific scenes and situations rather than being overly general promotional fluff.

If only it was two hours long!! Wasn't it originally supposed to be? Perhaps that version can be released in some way at some point? Dugpa?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Neosmith wrote:Btw, there was a brief bit with MIKE doing a reverse candle circle thing - was that shot off-script? I don't recall ever reading about it.
That was indeed in the script. Well, its not specifically spelled out he does so in reverse, but Al Strobel has mentioned this.

Unscripted parts were:
Ending of RR scene where Ed comes back
Ed & Norma in truck
Dell/Pete/Josie
The part where Doc Hayward reads the "prescription" for Laura

Also, the ride to Partyland is kind of different than scripted. Or parts were left out (the indian whooping in the script).
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by hopesfall »

skawitch wrote:I'm not speaking on behalf of any of the contributors here hopesfall, but I'm a life long film buff. I'm particularly a fan of silent cinema where there are a lot off issues regarding collectors holding copies of films/material which is no longer available....
Jerry Horne wrote:Speaking for myself, I've spent a massive amount of money and time tracking down rare TP stuff. I've paid good money to crew and cast for this stuff. They knew that the companies wanted the stuff but, shock! horror! they wanted cold cash! And without endless negotiations! By the way, there were two crew members who asked my repeatedly, "You're not with (insert big company name here) are you"? They just didn't want to deal with them. I think there is a certain amount of fear with some cast/crew about stuff they held on to.
Thank you both for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it. It's nice to get an insight into what goes on with that side of things, and thanks also for not taking the question as nasty or poking. :)

As for the missing pieces, just... wow. I completely agree with those who say that Grace and Peggy's scenes are some of their best work, it is undoubtedly true. Completely spellbinding performances from both, and such a shame they didn't make the movie. I'm just glad we finally got to see them knowing how much went into them. Also, the deleted scenes provided me with some of the most unsettling parts of the whole Twin Peaks universe. Laura smiling up at the fan made me fidget nervously in my seat as I watched her face change, incredibly well done. Also the LMFAP "nowhere to go....BUT HOME!" then laughing and shuffling around manically. Aaaaaagh! Haha. It's so weird.

Not to mention the extended convenience store scene, and Jeffries' speech. Fantastic. Last of all, both unnerving and upsetting for me, is the scene of the log lady visibly upset and hearing Laura's screams as she looks up at the sky. So powerful. So short too, which makes me wonder why it wasn't included. It fits well after the "...all goodness is in jeopardy..." scene.

All in all, I am over the moon. No audio issues whatsoever for me, on a Samsung portable Blu-ray player hooked up to the big screen via HDMI (then on it's own in bed to watch the pilot last night!). FWWM, The Missing Pieces and the Pilot are the only things I have seen so far, I didn't want to exhaust the set of all its surprises on the first day. I can't wait to watch some more tonight.

Oh, one last thing, I found the easter egg snippets on the first disc accidentally. I thought I pressed ok on the remote, but had obviously pressed right. :)
Tober27

Post by Tober27 »

Still waiting on mine from Amazon UK.

So has anyone checked or noticed, extra for extra, anything that was on the Gold Box that is not in this set? Or any previous Blu-ray extras for FWWM? Or extras from the season editions too.
There seemed to be only rumours before it came out with no one giving a definite answer. The coffee commercials, for example?

I will probably put my old editions on ebay but would take a last look at any extras that weren't carried over. Also just curious on top of that.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Tober27 wrote:Still waiting on mine from Amazon UK.

So has anyone checked or noticed, extra for extra, anything that was on the Gold Box that is not in this set? Or any previous Blu-ray extras for FWWM? Or extras from the season editions too.
There seemed to be only rumours before it came out with no one giving a definite answer. The coffee commercials, for example?

I will probably put my old editions on ebay but would take a last look at any extras that weren't carried over. Also just curious on top of that.
There are no Georgia Coffee ads or SNL skits on the Blu-Ray. Also there are no commentaries. Unless someone corrects me, I think everything on the season sets ported over.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: Ross, I believe South Sea Dreams is the song previously released as "Log Lady Presence" in the TP Archive.
It was used in FWWM in the scene Laura and Margaret meet outside the Roadhouse.
If I'm not mistaken, South Sea Dreams is the Hawaiian style music playing in the scene where Laura and Jacoby are speaking on the phone.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

hopesfall wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote: Ross, I believe South Sea Dreams is the song previously released as "Log Lady Presence" in the TP Archive.
If I'm not mistaken, South Sea Dreams is the Hawaiian style music playing in the scene where Laura and Jacoby are speaking on the phone.
Oh, my bad. That was the only song I didn't recognized, and we can hear the Log Lady song when Margaret hears the screams, so I thought they'd changed the name :)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
hopesfall wrote:
Oh, my bad. That was the only song I didn't recognized, and we can hear the Log Lady song when Margaret hears the screams, so I thought they'd changed the name :)
Correct- "South Sea Dreams" is the Jacoby Hawaiian song. The "Distant Train" sound effect cue was also used.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

A few more quick thoughts:

Jefferies' attire makes much more sense now.

We get to hear Heidi giggle.

The menu for disk 6 includes an HD snippet of James' flashback of him and Laura reflected in the water. Did they find this???
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Another thing i didn't mention is Moira Kelly's performances. They have reinforced my belief that she was a great alternative choice for Lara Flynn Boyle. She plays Donna much more innocent, and vulnerable; a stark contrast to Laura's "other side". It's also renewed my schoolboy type crush on her too. She looks "nice" in some of the deleted scenes. :oops:

Seeing Agent Stanley as a muttering wreck in the aftermath of Chet's disappearance is quite a sad spectacle. I've always had a fondness for his character in the film.
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Oh, my bad. That was the only song I didn't recognized, and we can hear the Log Lady song when Margaret hears the screams, so I thought they'd changed the name
No worries, I can't keep up with a lot of the names and songs like the others here! Haha. Yeah, that Log Lady scene is a marvel, and the music works well in it. Lynch did a good job matching the music to some of the scenes, but like it has been said elsewhere in this thread, it's a shame it wasn't done for many more.
Last edited by hopesfall on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Anybody else catch the newly discovered clip from episode 29?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Ross wrote:The menu for disk 6 includes an HD snippet of James' flashback of him and Laura reflected in the water. Did they find this???
Jerry Horne wrote:Anybody else catch the newly discovered clip from episode 29?

I haven't seen either of these yet. The first and last two discs are the only ones to leave the sleeves of the set so far. Very intrigued!