Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoil

Post by rocketsan22 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Question for admin: can you unpin this thread from the top of the page? It doesn't seem to be getting many replies and when I visit the page to look for the latest posts it can be distracting/misleading to always see it near the top. Just a minor quibble, but others may feel the same.
Agreed...
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I just saw this movie poster/cover. I thought it looked a little bit familiar. Coincidence?

The film is from 2013, probably shown at a few festivals, and didn't see wide release until 2014 (you can see a laurel and some quotes of praise on the poster). I'm not sure when the poster was made, although I recall that we saw a preview of the The Entire Mystery blu-ray cover a long time before its release.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray DVD Extras Wish List

Post by Jerry Horne »

Brad D wrote:i'll take all of the above, but it will take quite a bit for me to purchase the series again, i'm quite pleased with the gold box.
Hope you get all you were looking for Brad ;)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Brad D wrote:i'll take all of the above, but it will take quite a bit for me to purchase the series again, i'm quite pleased with the gold box.
Actually, I am still waiting on a correct audio sync before I purchase it :(
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Brad D wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
Actually, I am still waiting on a correct audio sync before I purchase it :(
Gonna be a long wait. I updated the firmware on my OPPO and it plays flawlessly.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Did the firmware update fix everything, including the FWWM disc and EP 9? I suppose I just need to narrow down the correct player so I can enjoy it properly. I never got to dive really deep into the blu-ray. Is it really so hard to fix the sync issues?
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

My old Sony Blu-ray player hasn't had a firmware update for years so it looks like I'm stuck with this issue until I upgrade, which won't be for some considerable time.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Murray wrote:My old Sony Blu-ray player hasn't had a firmware update for years so it looks like I'm stuck with this issue until I upgrade, which won't be for some considerable time.
Does your player have an A/V Sync adjustment facility? If so, does it give any improvement? I've never updated the firmware on my 4-year-old Sony Blu-ray player either but the A/V Sync adjustment fixed the problem for me.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Brad D wrote:Did the firmware update fix everything, including the FWWM disc and EP 9? I suppose I just need to narrow down the correct player so I can enjoy it properly. I never got to dive really deep into the blu-ray. Is it really so hard to fix the sync issues?
Yes. Once I did the latest update everything worked. I highly recommend the OPPO 103. You will be a fan for life.
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

Robin Davies wrote:
Murray wrote:My old Sony Blu-ray player hasn't had a firmware update for years so it looks like I'm stuck with this issue until I upgrade, which won't be for some considerable time.
Does your player have an A/V Sync adjustment facility? If so, does it give any improvement? I've never updated the firmware on my 4-year-old Sony Blu-ray player either but the A/V Sync adjustment fixed the problem for me.
It does have the option to adjust the sync, but since it's not the whole disc that's affected I can't be bothered to have to change the settings every time it goes out of sync. I just wish it worked properly.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Murray wrote:
Robin Davies wrote:
It does have the option to adjust the sync, but since it's not the whole disc that's affected I can't be bothered to have to change the settings every time it goes out of sync. I just wish it worked properly.
Have you actually tried it? The weird thing is that it corrects the bits that are out of sync but doesn't affect the bits that are OK. There is no need to keep adjusting it.
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Jerry Horne wrote:Yes. Once I did the latest update everything worked. I highly recommend the OPPO 103. You will be a fan for life.
Hum... Interesting machine...
A french little guy named : Dam.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Yes. Once I did the latest update everything worked. I highly recommend the OPPO 103. You will be a fan for life.
I used to love my Oppo DVD player. It was awesome because of all the tweaking options it had.
frequency

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

Post by frequency »

My first post on this forum.

A couple of years ago I saw the interview with Al Strobel where he tells the story of his near-death experience. I was going to show it to a fellow TP enthusiast friend of mine but it appears to have completely vanished off the internet. Any ideas where I could find it?
mtl
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Discussion

Post by mtl »

John Neff wrote:Wow, what a thread! So much hope. So much speculation. So much envisioning.
Well, here is what I know...

For the initial New Line DVD release of FWWM (either the first or second of his films I mixed in 5.1), they wanted to include
'deleted scenes'. Now remember, this was 1998 or 1999, the beginning of the DVD era.
So Dave had Duwayne Dunham order up work print footage from the picture and put it up on the KEM flatbed film editor.
Dunham went through all the footage shot and identified 29 that he thought would stand up for a 'Features' section of a DVD.
Now I do not remember the exact number Dave approved, but if you say it was 17, then it was 17.
But truthfully, the 'one light' non-color corrected workprint looked nothing like the finished film, and the production audio alone was miserable.
So Dave said the only way he would approve and allow inclusion of extra scenes onto the DVD was if New Line would pay to have some new music, color correction and sound design, full 5.1 theatrical mixing done to the scenes. He said otherwise the deleted scenes would 'putrify' the movie and ruin it. Now that many scenes are about a quarter or a third of the picture length.
I did the sound budget, the office did the editorial/color budget, and it came out to something around $180,000.00. Well New Line, who made their employees bring sack lunches to work, completely nixed the whole thing!
They would not pay, but wanted the scenes anyway.
Dave refused and that was that.
I saw the scenes, because I had to estimate sound costs per scene, but I no longer have my notes and do not remember which were the ones Dave wanted to include.
Same for Blue Velvet.
so was it 17?