Your thoughts on the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Your thoughts on the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set

Post by Jerry Horne »

Great menus. They are interactive yet unobtrusive.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

The menus are fantastic! Especially compared to the second season set's. Wow. They actually add to the show itself. I feel part of the environment.

The packaging is beautiful. I love the book format with the plastic pages. Never seen that before.

Boy, what a great collection of special features! A lot more than I had previously thought! All of the Lucy bumpers and 1-900 number calls!!! The Coffee commercials were strange, but I loved them. And the essential SNL skit - brilliant. The music video was very nice as well. And the deleted scenes were interesting, but also made me feel like I'm not missing anything watching the 29 episodes as they are. I enjoyed the map a lot, because I finally got to visualize how the town looks. And there is no way 51,201 people can fit into that.

The Slice of Lynch feature was very fun, and it made me respect Lynch a lot more (I had negative feelings due to the nixing of the graphic novel)

The documentaries were the most disappointing aspect, I thought. They were far too short, first of all. I know they had hours of interviews left over. I hardly heard a peep from Kenneth Welsh and Gary Hershberger and Michael Horse. And I know they filmed some Duchovny and Ashbrook, but I don't remember seeing either of them. The second season documentary especially pissed me off. It just got into everyone bashing the show I had just spent $80 buying. I wanted to learn a lot more about the creation and the production, and I learned next to nothing. Mark Frost was definitely the most interesting to listen to, and my respect for him is just soaring more and more. His love of the show was great. Julee Cruise and Angelo Badalamenti were both great, too.

Most importantly: I could not believe my eyes! The most beautiful picture I could ever have imagined! It looks better than the Fire Walk With Me dvd!!! It was like watching liquid film! I could seriously not be happier with the fact that they took my favorite show and made it look like the most lush, beautiful high budget film one could imagine. Super picture!

I'm really looking forward to the 5.1 mix I'll be hearing when I throw the 4 day marathon at my friend's house later this month! Unfortunately, I do not have surround, so I'll have to wait to check it out.

***** out of 5 stars, baby. This is probably my most prized possession I own right now.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I've only watched the Pilot and music doc and must say they are very well done. I know what you mean though, they are short. About double the length would have been great for all the doc's. More thoughts to come as i plough through this great set...
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

Fantastic set. Fantastic.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I think it's really great. But I'm keeping both my other sets for the commentaries, and the interviews.

I have no real complaints at all -I transferred a lot of my old recorded extra materials onto dvd. I wish I had more commericals -I like the Lucy one in the first season -"Cooper's looking under a bed, and not what's IN his bed, uh oh he found her -wait, he's wearing a tuxedo, was that a penguin" -I have some from the second season that are cool -

*The crazed killer -"you don't know what he's capable of, you just don't."
*The dutiful daughter -"So from now on Bobby, I'm the one you suck up to."
*The angry husband -"Leo, please don't."
*The greiving widow -"What she does possess is a heightened sexual drive."
"Is it hot in here?"
"Yeah"

I think the docs are fantastic -and are pretty lengthy and thorough. To any fan, they can always be longer -but it's the most comprehensive material that's EVER been available. AND I LOVED THE SECOND SEASON documentary -that they actual sit and analyze what went wrong because it is very relevant and caused how other innovative shows did their own follow ups. They said all the right things about the best stuff, and then went to town of the bad stuff, and hit the bullseye. Gary Hershberger summed it up nicely when he said it became just like any other tv show.

I do wish they had the episodes how they originally ran -the previously on twin peaks, and all the next on twin peaks. PLUS I wish they had the shortened credits on the episodes that had them to preserve the way they really ran -even if it pissed me off at the time.

But I am extremely happy with the set.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Senor_Droolcup

No "previously on Twin Peaks?" / NON-remastered L.

Post by Senor_Droolcup »

I haven't gotten mine yet. Is it true that there's no "Previously on Twin Peaks...," as well as NON-remastered Log Lady Intros?

aka, you have to turn the volume up when Catherine Coulson talks, then hurry to turn it down before the opening Theme...

Big s2 thing for me. Late nights, reruns (i hate using that term to describe Twin Peaks), suddenly, *bum-BUMMMM*... then zap the volume down.

In the event these 2 things are true, that sucks I'm going to have to zap the volume over and over, but nonetheless, pennies to pay for the features, the extras (Oh, the postcards!!!), etc.! Can't wait to get mine.

Anyone care to comment on these 2 topics?
Senor_Droolcup

Re: No "previously on Twin Peaks?" / NON-remastere

Post by Senor_Droolcup »

Senor_Droolcup wrote:Big s2 thing for me. Late nights, reruns (i hate using that term to describe Twin Peaks), suddenly, *bum-BUMMMM*... then zap the volume down.
Ok, that was a little Barnum & Bailey-sounding, but you know what I mean... I hope.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: No "previously on Twin Peaks?" / NON-remastere

Post by Jerry Horne »

Senor_Droolcup wrote:I haven't gotten mine yet. Is it true that there's no "Previously on Twin Peaks...," as well as NON-remastered Log Lady Intros?
It is true.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I was told that they were unable to find the negatives for the Previously and Next on segments this time around.

Finally got my set today. It is incredible! Gonna dig into it some more tomorrow and will have a nice little review soon.

-B
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Seems odd that the "Previously On Twin Peaks" segments were lost as these were released on the VHS edition of the series in the UK.
Double Identity

Post by Double Identity »

*drooling at the reviews* Hurry up mr aeroplane and wing it to the UK faster.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I'm in the US, and I still am waiting for next week; I'm totally confused as to what kind of shipping I got! And bummed out I have to wait so long.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

dugpa wrote:I was told that they were unable to find the negatives for the Previously and Next on segments this time around.

Finally got my set today. It is incredible! Gonna dig into it some more tomorrow and will have a nice little review soon.

-B
Strange as I think those Previous clips are on the Season 1 DVD set. I'm 99% sure about that...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

moviemaker wrote:
dugpa wrote:I was told that they were unable to find the negatives for the Previously and Next on segments this time around.

-B
Strange as I think those Previous clips are on the Season 1 DVD set. I'm 99% sure about that...
Correct; they were. It's sad that they're not here, and I've never seen the "next week on Twin Peaks" bits, or the abbreviated credits that I guess they used to run.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty ecstatic about this DVD release. I watched a lot of the bonus features last night and I don't know what to say other than they're just brilliant. Some more deleted scenes would've been great (but I know they're lost in the abyss of time), as would some episode commentaries, especially for Season 2. But whatever. I thank Paramount/CBS for putting it out, and now I can focus on hoping and praying for the FWWM deleted scenes!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Pierre Tremond

Post by Pierre Tremond »

I got the Gold Set, and while I love the menus, love that I got free postcards with it, and love the extras that are there, I still feel supremely disappointed that the "Next On Twin Peaks" segments are not there. (And as I have read above, never to return.)

I can't stress enough how awesome and mysterious they were, and how keyed up I would get to see next week's episode right away. Just an awesome vague collection of photos of next week's show with little bits of dialogue thrown in. Too awesome. I know that I had seen a few of them on youtube. I hope I can at least find them all there...or maybe even somebody could recap the photos to the dialogue.