Your thoughts on the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

musicaddict wrote: * Noticed some continuity errors.
In the episode when Albert arrive for a second time (at Leo's house) he get out of the car and he takes off his sunglasses 3 times :lol:
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

* Another continuity error - when Maddy tells Leland and Sarah she is leaving she says she is gonna drive back to Missoula however Leland very clearly states in the subsequent episodes that he dropped her off at the bus stop.

* Also confused as to how Leland planned to hide the fact that he killed Maddy as he tells James, Donna and Beth (Maddy's mom) that he dropped her off in the morning at the bus stop but the police know that she was killed the previous night.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

qbin2001 wrote:
musicaddict wrote: * Noticed some continuity errors.
In the episode when Albert arrive for a second time (at Leo's house) he get out of the car and he takes off his sunglasses 3 times :lol:
Classic continuity error. This one always makes me smile! :D

Posted some continuity errors on another thread (about Season 2 DVD, I think) - there's the scene with the blue microphone visible at top of screen when Audrey is bending down talking to Ben in his office, and the microphone above the hospital door that actress Peggy Lipton (Norma) actually looks at!!!! Let me find that post now actually, cos can't remember episodes offhand.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Here we go, both posts about goofs:

Here's a few mistakes (goofs) I've noticed while watching Season 2 on brand-new DVDs. We're probably just noticing these things now as the images are so much clearer!

Spotting goofs doesn't distract from my love of TP. But it is fun

Episode 8 (Episode 1 of Season 2): You can see a boom mike in the shot above Norma as she leaves Shelly's room about halfway through the episode. It seems that Peggy Lipton (Norma) even looks up at it!

Episode 15 (Episode 8 of Season 2): When Leland's driving the car recklessly and singing "Surrey With A Fringe On Top", in the shots showing him through the windshield, his mouth is clearly not moving to the words in any way, just making "O"/whistling shapes.

In the next episode (16/Episode 9 of Season 2) when Leland is thrown into the jail cell and he slams himself against the wall on both sides, the lefthand side wall is clearly a set flat ' it shakes!

Another boom in the shot! In Episode 20 (Episode 13 of Season 2), when Audrey is crouching down with Ben on the floor in his office, you can see a big blue microphone briefly above their heads.

added by dugpa:
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

So, getting back to Gold Box, just wadding my way through the Special Features at the moment and hope to post some thoughts on it soon.

Still can' t believe one of my postcards was missing. I keep thinking it might have been a super-rare one :D Anyone know how to contact the distributors? I'm po'd, it's only a small thing and they probably won't care or even reply, but I want to COMPLAIN! :evil:
Sugardrugged Fairy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sugardrugged Fairy »

I do not like any of the menu errors. I can't even watch the production documents, it won't load. :?
There's a place i'd like to show you. Near the ocean. It's very secluded.
I think you'll understand me better if you come with me.
TP fan

Post by TP fan »

Maybe your set has a production fault or there is something with your player? Have you tried playing the discs on a computer or in another player. I have the Region 2 set and are now at disc 6. Everything so far has worked perfect - all menu's and log lady intro's.
Sugardrugged Fairy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sugardrugged Fairy »

Now i just noticed the advertisements video on the first disc... :x
There's a place i'd like to show you. Near the ocean. It's very secluded.
I think you'll understand me better if you come with me.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Does anyone know what the plan was for Josie's character?

She seemed to be killed off rather quickly and there was the reference that her spirit somehow still resided within the Great Northern building.

Was it Joan Chen's decision to leave or was it storyline dictated?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I'll let someone else answer this, but wasn't Josie supposed to be present for the filming of the last episode? That could indicate that it was the storyline and not Joan Chen's wish. Or maybe she was just persuaded to make one last appearance. Also, the fact that she was filmed for FWWM could indicate the same thing. Poor Josie getting cut twice must have been a bummer. :)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Sugardrugged Fairy wrote:Now i just noticed the advertisements video on the first disc... :x
Hey, at least they don't force you to watch them as soon as you put the disc in, like so many other companies do. They're just there as a menu option, completely ignorable.
b1chvj39

Post by b1chvj39 »

I love the Gold Box!!! Started watching it on Halloween!!! I also have the Second Season on DVD but should I get the First Season as well or should I just sell the second season?
What we do in Life, Echoes in Eternity!!!

Gladiator - 2000
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Evenreven wrote:I'll let someone else answer this, but wasn't Josie supposed to be present for the filming of the last episode? That could indicate that it was the storyline and not Joan Chen's wish. Or maybe she was just persuaded to make one last appearance. Also, the fact that she was filmed for FWWM could indicate the same thing. Poor Josie getting cut twice must have been a bummer. :)
I think they wanted Chen for the final episode, but she couldn't make it for some reason. I've heard that they filmed a double (someone else dressed as Josie) from behind, but the footage didn't make it into the episode. As far as I know, her death, like Leland & Maddy, was storyline dictated, and not Chen's desicion to leave. I think there were more plans for Josie if the series had continued.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I think you're right about the double. I seem to remember reading that too.

The Lynch quote about trying to bring her back as a piece of furniture is hilarious, and if the increasing spiritual weirdness of the second season is anything to by, Ben and Pete would have seen her face in the wood many times over in the third season.

I also love the idea about bringing Sheryl Lee back as a redhead - only to have her killed by Bob for the third time.

I've said this many times before, but the lack of Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee is a bigger factor than shoddy writing why there's a mid-season slump, at least for me.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Evenreven wrote:I think you're right about the double. I seem to remember reading that too.

The Lynch quote about trying to bring her back as a piece of furniture is hilarious, and if the increasing spiritual weirdness of the second season is anything to by, Ben and Pete would have seen her face in the wood many times over in the third season.

I also love the idea about bringing Sheryl Lee back as a redhead - only to have her killed by Bob for the third time.

I've said this many times before, but the lack of Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee is a bigger factor than shoddy writing why there's a mid-season slump, at least for me.
Actually personally I no longer feel there was a second season slump. Having watched the second season again I remembered it being boring but for some reason I have found it quite enjoyable. Would have preferred not to have had Maddy killed - I think there was storyline potential lost there.