A Twin Peaks Continuation - For or Against

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

You can never replicate the mysery of Twin Peaks.

The tv series is open ended because the planned third season was scrapped.

The movie showed us some more and introduced new elements that ultimately were left unanswered because the movie bombed and the future sequels were scrapped.

Wether the show was intended to leave us wondering mysteries or not is irrelevant. The show itself was setting up future stories and mysteries and ended abruptly.

Without that part of it's charm, quirkiness and mystery is stripped from it the second you SEE BOB's spirit leave Cooper and he drives off back to the FBI, happily ever after.

Be careful what you wish for. I am sure that fans of the original Star Wars trilogy and fans of the Halloween series had wished they'd have just left certain things to their imaginations.

Would we want our love of this show to fade into a movie where we get to see the LMFAP killed, Audrey's funeral and Cooper kill Annie, only to be destroyed by Andy?

I didnt think so...
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

No... but that's because they could probably do far better than that and do things that no one could expect. All of those ideas are too predictable. If there's one thing we should have learned from the second season is that Twin Peaks will go places you could never imagine from looking at what came before.

I think after 20 years would have been the perfect time to do a follow up graphic novel. And if it was rubbish, then we can ignore it (as I have already chosen to do with Fire Walk With Me). The 30 episodes will still be able to stand alone, or they could be combined with whatever prequels and sequels are made. It's up to the viewer to decide.

I agree wholeheartedly that the un-finished "write your own ending" style of episode 29's cliffhanger is a lot of the magic and charm, and it was fun for 20 years to write my own stories. What I am mainly upset about is the fact the the graphic novel WAS going to be made, and Lynch made the decision for us of whether to ignore it or not. I for one am offended by that, and upset by what almost was.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

kingsoprano718, don't forget the bit where Sylvester Stallone storms the Black Lodge in the A-Team's van and machine guns the inhabitants! ;)

People seem to have a gobsmacking lack of faith in the creators and original contributors to the Twin Peaks myth. I can understand why people might worry about TP being spoilt, but there are people here who seem to think that even the contributions of the talents behind the original show would make something outrightly dire, not even just passable (I'd rather see nothing than 'passable,' it has to be said!)

Why would people like Lynch, who made something wonderful 17 years ago and have continued to progress as artists (rather than lock themselves away on a ranch pretending the America Civil War never happened, a la George Lucas) no longer have something relevant to say about the fascinating world of Twin Peaks?

I often wonder how people will react if Mark Frost's The List of Seven film ever gets made, given it features Twin Peaks elements such as the Black Lodge!

Oh well, worst comes to worst, I'll wait for Rainy Woods: the Movie! ;)
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

The Magician wrote:Well said, Gabriel.
But I think Lynch considers it "done".
I frankly don't care what David Lynch thinks. A lot of people give him a great deal of respect, but I think it's about time he gives his fans some respect. We've wanted something for a long time, and it matters what we think, what Harley Peyton thinks, what Bob Engels thinks, and ESPECIALLY what Mark Frost thinks.

A television or movie series is out of the question, because all the ensemble cast are too old. The graphic novel would have been perfect, and all the classic TP crew were so behind it, but Lynch in his selfishness nixed it, and now it's too late.

I consider myself "done" with Lynch... but I'll never be done with Twin Peaks.

I am SO happy someone finally has said this.

I am 100 percent sure that these DVD's and CD's are going to make him more money than any Inland Empire or short film he will ever produce again and STILL he acts like TP is the end of his career and wants nothing to do with it.

It IS an insult to us, especially when I am sure he loves the paychecks he receives. At least authorize a novel or comic, give us SOMETHING other than re-issues to make more cash.

As for trusting the genius of Lynch when it comes to Peaks, he already treats it like a bastard son, what makes you think he would be able to recapture anything?

I am not going to deny or doubt his genius, because he is absolutely awesome, but his handling of Twin Peaks has been a disgrace. Give it back to Frost and Engels, who i am sure will give us new items.

Hell look at Star Trek, Dark Shadows, Brisco County, etc etc cult shows who's popularity remains BECAUSE of the new materials released. Dont forget Star Trek was cancelled early in it's first run and didnt become the major success and break from a cult following till a new movie decades later.

Why cant this be Twin Peaks fate? One reason alone: Lynch!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

well, what exactly is Lynch supposed to do? Authorize the graphic novel? is that the issue? or start a new Twin Peaks and hopes it gets picked up? He essentially did this with Mulholland Drive, and it didn't get picked up. (I know, well knew Justin Thereaux back then and as an actor, was jealous as hell that he got to film this pilot). And the creators even toyed with the idea of making an Audrey goes to Hollywood show, so they obviously weren't abondoning thier love for the show.

Are we proposing a new Twin Peaks be filmed? Who's going to bankroll it or distribute it? Where is the audience? The reason is was a success initially wasn't because of the mumbo jumbo black lodge hook towards the end, but the actors and the quirks and the soap opera element to it.

Where it stands today is it would only attract a small audience -you would instead have to start from stratch with something that recalls the spirit of Twin Peaks.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Audrey Horne wrote:well, what exactly is Lynch supposed to do? Authorize the graphic novel? is that the issue? or start a new Twin Peaks and hopes it gets picked up? He essentially did this with Mulholland Drive, and it didn't get picked up. (I know, well knew Justin Thereaux back then and as an actor, was jealous as hell that he got to film this pilot). And the creators even toyed with the idea of making an Audrey goes to Hollywood show, so they obviously weren't abondoning thier love for the show.

Are we proposing a new Twin Peaks be filmed? Who's going to bankroll it or distribute it? Where is the audience? The reason is was a success initially wasn't because of the mumbo jumbo black lodge hook towards the end, but the actors and the quirks and the soap opera element to it.

Where it stands today is it would only attract a small audience -you would instead have to start from stratch with something that recalls the spirit of Twin Peaks.

Sor all of those exact reasons it would be a bad idea NOW to restart the show.

You really can not compare Mullholland to Peaks because as a Peaks freak i never had any interest in Mullholand at all. Just because I obsess with Peaks does not mean I have to love everything Lynch does.

That being said, the iron is hot right now, especially to turn Peaks into a cult show with some new merchandise, a new book, the graphic novel of course and the new cd and dvd set. What is wrong with a reunion show on ABC? They COULD do an HBO Peaks movie, set 25 years into the future opening with "Hows Annie" and fading into 25 years later. Then we select a small cast, not everyone, to appear and give us a wrap up. Lynch CAN bankroll this I am sure as the only big names he would need were Cooper and Annie, Audrey and maybe Donna. Everyone else important, including Truman, Hawk, Earle etc etc do not seem to be doing anything to command a huge check now a days.

Regardless, we as a core audience deserved more than what we got. We got a few cd's a few videos and some books. Overseas merch does not count to me. A video game would be ok IMO as would a comic or series of novels.

There IS money out there and we are proving it right now.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

I must say I totally disagree with all of that. A reunion of Twin Peaks? What is it? The nanny or Dallas?

Twin Peaks is not like any other TV shows, and therefore, does not get the same treatment as others.

I personnaly think David Lynch is absolutely right in not wanting to go on with the show. What we have is a wonderful show already, good books, great music and a fantastic movie, what more do we need? Another season, or a graphic novel after which all everyone will scream "I want more"?

Sincerely, the best way to go back to Twin Peaks and dive into its world is to rewatch it again and again. It's pure pleasure, we don't need the plot to go on as the plot is over. Laura Palmer and Coop have been reunited in the lodge. Story over.

And the idea of deserving more as an audience is totally absurd and pretentious. We, as an audience, should be grateful for having the opportunity to have this show, we should enjoy it and dream with it, but demanding more from the creators? We as an audience have the right to tell Lynch how he should organise his creations just to please us? I don't think so.

This is not how it works, at least, not how it should work. The creator have the last word and that should remain so. All we have, as an audience, is our right to be grateful. Anyone sitting behind his TV screen blaming the minds behind Twin Peaks for not being more productive is just an arrogant and spoiled spectator. And it's because od such people that poor but money-making sequels have been invented.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Well, the idea of people saying 'Don't make any more because it's art, daaaarling!' about an ABC TV show that used to have commercial breaks in it is also absurd and pretentious to many of us, so just accept we all have divergences of opinion and that they make the world more interesting! ;)

TP was great TV, but it was still just a TV show (albeit an exceptionally unusual one with a significant cult audience!)

I don't want a 'reunion show:' that would be hideous! But a new story drawing from the mythology and perhaps including some past characters could be wonderful!

If some fans of TP don't like it, they can ignore it! It's not like a TP miniseries or film would take a razorblade to the canvas of the original show! TP survived having one movie spin-off that many (but not all) of us love, so another can't really hurt!
Last edited by Gabriel on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

No, people who think "Don't make any more because it's art, daaarling" are snobs. That's different.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

All well and good, but I still don't see how a bunch of people who really like this oddball little TV show and want some more are 'pretentious.'

I won't slag off David Lynch EVER (did anyone hear him on BBC Radio 4 this morning with Donovan, btw?) as I massively respect him. But even if he only got involved in a TP production in a producer's position, I'd still want to see the outcome!
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Well, I understand that you want one more film about Twin Peaks, maybe with Lynch just just as a producer, but to me, Twin Peaks' best aspects and plots come from David Lynch, and what happened to Twin Peaks when Lynch was not around anymore busy working on another project?

We had the second half of the second season, and people involved in it were Harley Peyton, Robert Engels, Scott Frost, Mark Frost and have you read the script they originally wrote for the last episode? Personnaly, I did not like it. Bob as a dentist? What's that?

Lynch came back, rewrote the whole thing and look what we had. A fantastic last episode.

Frankly, a Lynch-produced project written and directed by other people would kill the show a second time.
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Teopeaks wrote:I must say I totally disagree with all of that. A reunion of Twin Peaks? What is it? The nanny or Dallas?

Twin Peaks is not like any other TV shows, and therefore, does not get the same treatment as others.

I personnaly think David Lynch is absolutely right in not wanting to go on with the show. What we have is a wonderful show already, good books, great music and a fantastic movie, what more do we need? Another season, or a graphic novel after which all everyone will scream "I want more"?

Sincerely, the best way to go back to Twin Peaks and dive into its world is to rewatch it again and again. It's pure pleasure, we don't need the plot to go on as the plot is over. Laura Palmer and Coop have been reunited in the lodge. Story over.

And the idea of deserving more as an audience is totally absurd and pretentious. We, as an audience, should be grateful for having the opportunity to have this show, we should enjoy it and dream with it, but demanding more from the creators? We as an audience have the right to tell Lynch how he should organise his creations just to please us? I don't think so.

This is not how it works, at least, not how it should work. The creator have the last word and that should remain so. All we have, as an audience, is our right to be grateful. Anyone sitting behind his TV screen blaming the minds behind Twin Peaks for not being more productive is just an arrogant and spoiled spectator. And it's because od such people that poor but money-making sequels have been invented.

Isnt one of the most looked forward to features of the new set the sitdown with Lynch and other cast members? I do not see anything wrong with the cast discussing the show, showing clips, talking about the ideas for a third season etc etc. No it is not the Nanny, but you seem to forget both shows mentioned lasted way longer than Peaks ever did and were successful....so the analogy is over right there.

As for being a spoiled and arrogant spectator, you nor anyone else is above any other when it comes to being a fan. I find it highly pretentious that you seem to deem yourself the "final word" on this subject.

If you had read my initial post you would know I am against any continuation because I agree that the story has been told and FWWM serves as a PERFECT bookend to the show. I only mused on what MIGHT have been if merchandising had continued. An as for a possible movie, it COULD be done. Whether I WANT it to be done is a different story. My post above was a reply to a previous poster.

Your post comes off as rather stand-offish and I am not sure why because we share a love of something. Yes the show stumbled huge in the second half of the season, and got back on track in the last 4 episodes, but as mentioned Frost has proven he can do supernatural in other medium.

I think the MOST important thing to remember is that Lynch himself walked away from Peaks in the second season and now does not care to entertain a continuation of ANY sort. Whether we want the continuation or not is irrelevant, there IS an audience for it outside of you and I. The fact that Lynch continues to prove he regrets ever having done Peaks and tries to steer clear of it is both an insult to the hardcore following and a slap in the face to those who purchase the merchandise that help pay his bills.

If he TRULY wants nothing to do with it ever again, then stop licensing out rehashes to make money. Re-issues of the series on vhs and dvd have come MULTIPLE times, the movie has been reissued overseas with no new features as well. He seems to stay away from Peaks, but also seems to like the check he gets FROM it. I have read several interviews in which he refuses to answer Peaks questions.

If that isn't an arrogant and pretentious person, I do not know what one is!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm fairly sure Lynch has no control over how or if Twin Peaks is released on home video. Other people own the rights. I think the only films Lynch owns are Eraserhead and IE.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

but Lynch didn't walk away from Twin Peaks. He was featured in episodes, and he directed the finale. And most of the cast and crew knew that the series was not going to be picked up again. The network cancelled the series, not Lynch.
The series finale had been finished for less than a few weeks when the announcement that a movie would be made with Lynch at the helm. And it wasn't even entirely decided it would be a prequel.

I'm all for Twin Peaks to continue if it could be done. But in practical terms, it can't. Lynch cannot bankroll it, it's far too expensive. A network is not going to touch it, and the actors have aged too much.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?