The Gold box - region 2

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

siriusmystery

Post by siriusmystery »

Double Identity, I'm pretty sure that be it whatever version of the box, there is an option to turn subtitles and dubbed voices off. And most dvd players can be coded region free. Try google for intsructions.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Double Identity wrote:I'm really confused! Which is a permanent state for me these days. So as a UK person, if I order from Norway or Germany will it not be dubbed or subtitled if I am listening to it in English - or will it be English subititles over German or Norweigan language being dubbed over the characters voices.

I desperately want to buy the box set but as it appears that the UK isn't getting it any time soon and I don't have a region 2 dvd player (and I am pretty much broke and cant afford a new one too) is it best to go for a European version?

Thanks for your patience :)
1) Nothing except children's programming is ever dubbed in Norwegian. The Scandinavian edition will only contain English audio (2.0 and 5.1).
2) If you live in the UK, you are Region 2. I buy from the UK all the time and have no region problems.
3) You can always turn subtitles off.
4) Even if the German box contains a German stereo dub, it will contain the original English too. Not all Germans like dubbing, y'know. :)

Conclusion: the Scandinavian is probably the way to go, since it's cheaper than the German or Italian. Or go for the Dutch one. Hope that helps.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
siriusmystery

Post by siriusmystery »

Yeah, I usually keep the subtitles off while watching my finnish dvd's. Just get the scandinavian version, it's only 49, 95. Unless you find a better deal somewhere off course.
Double Identity

Post by Double Identity »

Thankyou everyone. You are all very kind and I appreciate your help. I think I will go for the Scandanavian one. Would anyone be able to post a direct link to where I can buy it from Scandanavia? Does Amazon have a Scandanavian branch? At least I would have a rough idea of what I was filling in on there as I am familiar with it, if not the language.
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

I'd like to throw an alternate suggestion into the ring. This is what I'm planning to do, I'm also stuck with a once expensive (£180) but now out dated DVD player that only does R2.
Buy a brand name multi region DVD player from ebay £30
Buy the R1 Gold Box Set £45
Watch Twin Peaks, Priceless. :oops:
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

That will work too, but some countries have ridiculous import duties and customs fees.
Double Identity wrote:Thankyou everyone. You are all very kind and I appreciate your help. I think I will go for the Scandanavian one. Would anyone be able to post a direct link to where I can buy it from Scandanavia? Does Amazon have a Scandanavian branch? At least I would have a rough idea of what I was filling in on there as I am familiar with it, if not the language.
No Scandinavian Amazon, unfortunately. I checked a few of my regular Norwegian stores and not one of them accept international orders. There must be some way, but I can't think of one at the moment.
siriusmystery

Post by siriusmystery »

Yeah, I too just realised that finnish online shops won't take orders from other countries. I'm not sure about cdon.com's policy though.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

cdon.com only takes international orders when it comes to music cds. For some idiotic reason.
Douglas_Fir

Post by Douglas_Fir »

Can I give my two cents and suggest peeps in the UK check out

www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

It is very easy to make alot of dvd players multiregion normally by typing in a code on the handset. I have owned several dvd players over the years varying from budget to top end and have been able to do it with all of them. One dvd player in particular only required me to open the disc tray & hold down the stop button for 5 seconds!!! If you can unlock it then you can get the region 1 boxset for £37 inc p&p from www.cdwow.com

It pains me to see people buying new dvd players or paying over the odds for foreign region 2 copies when they may not have to!

If you do not want to go this route I can recommend a spanish dvd site

www.dvdgo.com

I bought the original spanish boxset from them years ago. The new definitive version is going to cost you £69 + p&p. Good thing with buying from Spain is they are our EU chums so no problems with customs.
Double Identity

Great idea but crikey though. This is what I need to do to mine: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/panasonic-s35/2473 I absolutely do not want to be a stereotype but I'm a girl and looking at that is the equivalent of Charlie Brown trying to understand his teacher! Why on earth do they have all these different regions.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

I'm not 100% certain about this but i think that the International arm of Play.com sells its R1 DVDs from within Europe - so you can avoid import duties. I bought an R1 dvd from them recently and it arrived in about 1 week . If it had been sent from the USA there is no chance it would have arrived so fast...

Needless to say the gold box is not yet listed there!
Double Identity

I never noticed the International branch of Play.com when I'd ordered from it before. Learn something new everyday! Anyway after reading the postcard reviews on here I got into a state of 'I need to try and get those' and have ordered from Amazon in the USA. I know, I know. My DVD wont play it but I'll get round it someway! At least I can rest a little now knowing that my goldbox is on its way to me - even if I can't watch it. Fingers crossed that I got some postcards and hope I wasn't too late.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

You can buy Scandinavian DVDs from www.dvdhuset.no they accept international orders :-)
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

The Scandanavian seller on E-Bay who sold me Season 2 is keeping me posted about the Norway Gold Set, hopefully in the next few weeks, I can discuss us it with you all vewwy, vewwy soon. :D
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
york74

Post by york74 »

Mediatis.com is a good shopping option for the R2 boxset!

http://www.mediadis.com/video/detail.asp?id=172310

59,99 Euro + 4 Euro standard shipping