Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

Post by mtwentz »

Stavrogyn wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:19 am I didn't see LateReg and Agent Earle chiming in yet, hopefully they see the news before Friday.
Late Reg knows.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

See you at the curtain call . . .
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Even though I’ve been on here relatively new this site and all of the people I’ve met on here will be greatly remembered and sorely missed. I’m really going to miss checking this forum every day to see what’s new. Hope that we can figure out a successor!
"Jade give two rides."
misterroundheels

Post by misterroundheels »

I haven't been a prolific poster on here, but I've been on here since the near the beginning (lost my old account sometime along the way) and agree we gotta keep this board going in some form. Not a fan of the subreddit at all.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Well this is just depressing as hell. I'm not finding any other words right now. Should this be my last post, I wish each and everyone the best of luck and many, many happy days of fandom yet to come!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Agent Earle wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:31 pm Well this is just depressing as hell. I'm not finding any other words right now. Should this be my last post, I wish each and everyone the best of luck and many, many happy days of fandom yet to come!
There's better news awaiting you. Pop into the Season 4 thread.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:31 pm There's better news awaiting you. Pop into the Season 4 thread.
I expect from Agent Earle to remain skeptical until the very end :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Poor Earle has consistently hated S3 for years, so I'm not really sure how he'd feel about it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Wow. So I haven’t posted here in over 4 years, but I still read old threads and marvel at the level of insight and friendly discussion and analysis. I’m actually currently reading back through the “profoundly disappointed support group” thread on S3, which I posted in quite a bit, trying to come to terms with TR and how I both loved and disliked it in equal measure at times.

This is sad news indeed. Not since IMDb erased its message boards have I felt “such a sadness” as DKL would say at the end of an internet era. Still, grateful for the years spent on this here forum. Thank you to Dugpa, Jerry & everyone who kept it all running so wonderfully for all these years. I love you all! I could list names all day, but I particularly valued the posts of LostInTheMovies, Mr. Reindeer, Audrey Horne, Gabriel, Jonah, sylvia north, mlsstwrt, counterpaul, Needleman, LateReg, Novalis, mtwentz… like I said, I could go on all day. I’ll miss you all. It’s been lovely, folks.

MEANWHILE. . .
Last edited by David Locke on Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

David Locke wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:44 pm Wow. So I haven’t posted here in over 4 years, but I still read old threads and marvel at the level of insight and friendly discussion and analysis. I’m actually currently reading back through the “profoundly disappointed support group” thread on S3, which I posted in quite a bit, trying to come to terms with TR and how I both loved and disliked it in equal measure at times.

This is sad news indeed. Not since IMDb erased its message boards have I felt “such a sadness” as DKL would say at the end of an internet era. Still, grateful for the years spent on this here forum. Thank you to Dugpa, Jerry & everyone who kept it all running so wonderfully for all these years. I love you all! I could list names all day, but I particularly valued the posts of LostInTheMovies, Mr. Reindeer, Audrey Horne, Gabriel, Jonah, sylvia north, counterpaul, Needleman, LateReg, mtwentz… like I said, I could go on all day. I’ll miss you all. It’s been lovely, folks.

MEANWHILE. . .
David, your posts were great too. I especially loved reading your comments in the S1-S2 episode threads and highly recommend (again) that people who haven't seen those threads check them out.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:23 pm
David Locke wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:44 pm Wow. So I haven’t posted here in over 4 years, but I still read old threads and marvel at the level of insight and friendly discussion and analysis. I’m actually currently reading back through the “profoundly disappointed support group” thread on S3, which I posted in quite a bit, trying to come to terms with TR and how I both loved and disliked it in equal measure at times.

This is sad news indeed. Not since IMDb erased its message boards have I felt “such a sadness” as DKL would say at the end of an internet era. Still, grateful for the years spent on this here forum. Thank you to Dugpa, Jerry & everyone who kept it all running so wonderfully for all these years. I love you all! I could list names all day, but I particularly valued the posts of LostInTheMovies, Mr. Reindeer, Audrey Horne, Gabriel, Jonah, sylvia north, counterpaul, Needleman, LateReg, mtwentz… like I said, I could go on all day. I’ll miss you all. It’s been lovely, folks.

MEANWHILE. . .
David, your posts were great too. I especially loved reading your comments in the S1-S2 episode threads and highly recommend (again) that people who haven't seen those threads check them out.
Thank you, Jonah. I really loved participating in those episode threads. Re-reading them is definitely compulsory for me on every series rewatch now, as between all of us there really was some great analysis. I am going to miss this forum a lot most of all because of that level-headed back and forth, which IMO just isn’t the same on a place like the Reddit TP sub — a place that seems to favor either random memes/images or a very fervent, all-the-pieces-fit ultra-rationalism when analyzing TP. In other words I loved the diversity of thought on Dugpa and also how cordial everyone here generally is when it comes to passionate debates and such.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

David Locke wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:44 pm
This is sad news indeed. Not since IMDb erased its message boards have I felt “such a sadness” as DKL would say at the end of an internet era. Still, grateful for the years spent on this here forum. Thank you to Dugpa, Jerry & everyone who kept it all running so wonderfully for all these years. I love you all! I could list names all day, but I particularly valued the posts of LostInTheMovies, Mr. Reindeer, Audrey Horne, Gabriel, Jonah, sylvia north, mlsstwrt, counterpaul, Needleman, LateReg, Novalis, mtwentz… like I said, I could go on all day. I’ll miss you all. It’s been lovely, folks.

MEANWHILE. . .
Right back atcha, buddy! The exchanges between you and LostInTheMovies in those episode threads could honestly be edited into a book that’s more indispensable than most published TP/Lynch analysis. I was following and admiring the brilliant exchanges on here for years before I finally dipped my toe in and started posting. I truly hope this stuff is preserved. It breaks my heart as the years pass and stuff like the Usenet archives and the IMDB forums and the original “fuselage” forums for the show Lost vanish to the mists of time. I guess our understanding of how the Internet works is still evolving and changing...but it’s so strange to see pop culture monuments that were integral to our interactions with fandom disappear. And, again, I’m so damn grateful to dugpa and BookhouseBoyBob for keeping this place running for as long as they did, despite the hardships they’ve referenced over the past few years.

Lynch is my favorite director, and the past few months, I’ve had my biggest spurt of renewed interest since the Return. The new Dune movie inspired me to revisit the six Frank Herbert books (which could make for a fun thread on the new board?), as well as the brand new 4K restoration of Lynch’s film, and also the various deleted scenes and fan cuts of Lynch’s movie. We got a 4K release of Mulholland Drive, and now I’ve tickets to see INLAND EMPIRE in 4K tomorrow at the IFC Center. And yeah, the little footnote of a brand new Lynch film debuting at Cannes. Great times to be a Lynch fan, and I’ll miss having this place as a haven.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

David Locke wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:53 pm Thank you, Jonah. I really loved participating in those episode threads. Re-reading them is definitely compulsory for me on every series rewatch now, as between all of us there really was some great analysis. I am going to miss this forum a lot most of all because of that level-headed back and forth, which IMO just isn’t the same on a place like the Reddit TP sub — a place that seems to favor either random memes/images or a very fervent, all-the-pieces-fit ultra-rationalism when analyzing TP. In other words I loved the diversity of thought on Dugpa and also how cordial everyone here generally is when it comes to passionate debates and such.
I couldn't agree more with every word of this. In essence there is plenty of places to interact with others, having Twin Peaks as the central topic, but there's nothing quite like this forum. This seems to have the stripped-down feel of the old newsgroups, with a warmer conversational tone to it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:44 pm
David Locke wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:44 pm

MEANWHILE. . .
Right back atcha, buddy! The exchanges between you and LostInTheMovies in those episode threads could honestly be edited into a book that’s more indispensable than most published TP/Lynch analysis. I was following and admiring the brilliant exchanges on here for years before I finally dipped my toe in and started posting. I truly hope this stuff is preserved. It breaks my heart as the years pass and stuff like the Usenet archives and the IMDB forums and the original “fuselage” forums for the show Lost vanish to the mists of time. I guess our understanding of how the Internet works is still evolving and changing...but it’s so strange to see pop culture monuments that were integral to our interactions with fandom disappear. And, again, I’m so damn grateful to dugpa and BookhouseBoyBob for keeping this place running for as long as they did, despite the hardships they’ve referenced over the past few years.

Lynch is my favorite director, and the past few months, I’ve had my biggest spurt of renewed interest since the Return. The new Dune movie inspired me to revisit the six Frank Herbert books (which could make for a fun thread on the new board?), as well as the brand new 4K restoration of Lynch’s film, and also the various deleted scenes and fan cuts of Lynch’s movie. We got a 4K release of Mulholland Drive, and now I’ve tickets to see INLAND EMPIRE in 4K tomorrow at the IFC Center. And yeah, the little footnote of a brand new Lynch film debuting at Cannes. Great times to be a Lynch fan, and I’ll miss having this place as a haven.
This is such a great post. I too hope the posts will be preserved.

If anyone knows of the quickest and simplest way to save threads/posts (other than copy and pasting page by page) and that doesn't require much technical know-how, please let me know. I mainly want to save the episode threads from S1-S2 as I loved reading them when rewatching.
DangerMo

Post by DangerMo »

Hi there, I finally remembered my account details for Dugpa's messageboard. Just in time to thank you for hosting this wonderful place for so long.
I used to post quite regularly way way back in the early days, then popped back again once in a while to check how everyone was doing, then a little more when The Return was airing.

I've now registered on Histeria's forum, crossing my fingers for loads of good discussion on whatever's coming our way.

Dugpa, once again : THANK YOU FOR HAVING US!