What Twin Peaks storyline(s) did you like the most?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

What Twin Peaks storyline(s) did you like the most?

Post by Jonah »

We have a thread about our least favourite ones, but what storylines did you like the most other than the main one? Or if that's the one you liked the most, what other ones did you like alongside it - or what did you like the most about that storyline?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: What Twin Peaks storyline(s) did you like the most?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I guess I don’t really focus so much on “favorite storylines.” For me, the story is just a way to deliver great characters, relationships, moments, moods, etc. (Although as we established in the other thread, I do think about which storylines are my LEAST favorite! Hmm.)

I love Ed and Norma, I think they have possibly the most satisfying arc from the Pilot through TR. I like the more grounded nature of the high school scenes in the early episodes and the Bobby/Mike drug dealing stuff before all that got forgotten. In TR, I love the Buckhorn storyline and that whole corner of the world. And all the baroque stuff with Mr. C’s web of underlings (Duncan Todd, Chantal & Hutch, etc.). Just a few things that come to mind. Not really sure about one clear favorite, other than WKLP obviously.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, I get what you're saying, aside from the central mystery and how the serialized storylines surrounding it in the town sometimes played into that I suppose I struggle too to isolate and come up with favourite storylines in the same way I could list out the weak storylines in the middle stretch. The mill stuff is all very convoluted and adds some - at times confusing - background intrigue, but it's not necessarily a very gripping storyline by itself. Audrey infiltrating One Eyed Jack's is a fun storyline, same with Cooper going there, then all the stuff with Donna and Maddy and James and Jacoby and Harold and the Meals on Wheels, I like all of them but I suppose they're not necessarily amazing either, they're all more about mood, feel, music, and the overall intrigue of Laura's murder, the mysteries in the town, etc. I do like the storylines involving the lodges, the Bookhouse Boys, the darkness they speak of in the woods. I think that could have been delved into more, plus maybe some trips into Pearl Lakes, more about the origin of Bob and who he was when he was a man, like Mark Frost's books touch on, things like that might have been fun in future seasons, but I'm going off track now.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Audrey at OEJ is great! That’s a storyline I’ll get behind.

Speaking of the Mill, this is an old post of mine (from before TR even aired), but you might find it interesting: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ill#p75847

The Mill stuff is ENDLESSLY convoluted.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Another storyline I like even though it's very vague is the Chalfonts/Tremonds - agents of the lodges whose motives seem very unclear.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:31 pm Another storyline I like even though it's very vague is the Chalfonts/Tremonds - agents of the lodges whose motives seem very unclear.
Since you’re having fun reviving old threads, I’ll just pimp this one out as well, in case you have any thoughts to add...

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4187
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

The cosmic relationship between Coop & Laura.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:26 pm The Mill stuff is ENDLESSLY convoluted.
It's the thing that I care the least about understanding, followed by the moves of the Cooper/Earle chess game, which I don't think makes sense anyway. For me the mill stuff is there for color, and all of the particulars don't really matter.

AXX°N N. wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:10 pm The cosmic relationship between Coop & Laura.
Beautiful choice.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:44 pm
Jonah wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:31 pm Another storyline I like even though it's very vague is the Chalfonts/Tremonds - agents of the lodges whose motives seem very unclear.
Since you’re having fun reviving old threads, I’ll just pimp this one out as well, in case you have any thoughts to add...

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4187

I read either all or most of that thread recently! That's where I got the idea of their motives seeming unclear. Loved how Frost felt the same. Not sure I have more to add to it at the moment. I still don't know what I think of them, but I love the idea of non-human characters whose motives seem unclear to us, and I was very intrigued that Lynch worked them into the ending of The Return.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

the Ed/Norma relationship is the most poignant for me outside of the grieving/mourning of Laura. The lost love/living with regret and a path not taken is something I find relatable, probably most of us, it's true to life and rarely depicted with the same sort of tenderness in soaps as it is in TP.

Love triangles, cheating, failed relationships are probably the cornerstone of soap operas but the feeling of staying with someone because you feel sorry for them, feeling trapped or stuck, it was really in a different league here than Dallas/Dynasty/Knots. Harry's episode grieving over Josie was pretty good too.