Poll: What do you want Wisteria/Unrecorded Night to be?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What do you want Wisteria/Unrecorded Night to be?

An entirely new DL project/not TP related at all
31%
A new DL project but set in same universe as TP
No votes
A new David Lynch anthology-style show with elements being unrealized projects (TP related or not - doesn't matter)
14%
TP related (spin-off/spiritual successor) but not Season 4/direct continuation
7%
TP Season 4
24%
TP some sort of direct continuation (movie/series of movies)
14%
Combination of above/Something Else (specify in comments)
10%

Total votes: 29
Jonah
Global Moderator

Poll: What do you want Wisteria/Unrecorded Night to be?

Post by Jonah »

Similar to last poll, but this time the question isn't what you think it will be, but what you want it to be.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Poll: What do you want Wisteria/Unrecorded Night to be?

Post by krishnanspace »

I want it to be Season 4 or something with Cooper, Carrie, Desmond
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don’t care what it is, as long as it’s new Lynch. Voted for last option.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

I won't be complaining about any possibility if the project comes to life, but if I had to pick a preference, I'd prefer an original project. For one thing original intellectual properties are becoming increasingly rare. Disney has become the largest producer of cinematic art and they have basically negative interest in anything not coming out of an already established IP. Much hoopala was made about their recent announcements of films and Disney Plus shows, and I'm pretty sure not a single project they announced was from an original IP. Netflix is one producer of cinematic art that has some interest in original projects. Plus, if it was going to be TP related, while I'd still be eager to see it without him, I'd certainly prefer a Twin Peaks with Mark Frost involved.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, I'm excited either way. I'd love to see a continuation of what was established in Part 18 of the Return. On the other hand, something completely fresh from Lynch would be equally exciting.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Laura Palmer
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I agree with most of you; I will be wholeheartedly enthusiastic about whatever David Lynch creates next. However, I don't think there could be any creative / artistic endeavour from anyone I would like to see more than Twin Peaks season 4. (With maybe one exception, and that is if Marcel Proust had lived 20+ more years and had the time to finish what he was working on and write a few more volumes of his masterpiece.)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I haven't voted in either poll because I really don't know. But the one thing I will say is that even if it is Twin Peaks, it could once again prove to be so unique that it is essentially its own new thing. So new Twin Peaks or an entirely new mystery both fall under a new, original IP to me, even if that's not technically the case. What he did with The Return was pretty much unprecedented as far as sequels go, and proved that Twin Peaks is fertile ground that can encapsulate any wholly new experience.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I want it to be a completely original work that he directs alone with no "TP" elements in it, but I'd be okay with the third option as well (maybe a minor character spinoff like Freddie in one). I'm not interested at all in a formal new season and really don't think that's what it is. The mention of TP Productions doesn't necessarily mean it's a new season.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

My preference would be that Unrecorded Night be
deeper into the world of Richard and Linda and Carrie Page, and what a world without a Laura Palmer murder would like
because i'm hooked like an addict and want more.

However, I recognize that is convoulted and might intimidate (or just scare away) new audiences at this point.
and would be happy with a fresh start/ new hook/ new mystery/ new characters.

as IcedOver notes, something like Freddy being around I could see happening, just a smidgin of a connection,
like novelists like to do...

but then again, maybe not. I remember when Melrose was spun off from 90210 and they were in the same universe at first,
but then started to cast the same actors in other roles. Might be best to be a fresh slate if using existing talent.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LateReg wrote:So new Twin Peaks or an entirely new mystery both fall under a new, original IP to me, even if that's not technically the case. What he did with The Return was pretty much unprecedented as far as sequels go, and proved that Twin Peaks is fertile ground that can encapsulate any wholly new experience.
Well said.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm up for whatever myself but would always prefer more TP. I'd love to see more Laura/Carrie and Dale/Richard and hopefully Audrey and Annie and Josie and Catherine and Shelly and everyone else.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I would definitely want it to be "some sort of direct" continuation of S3. The reason being is that (for me) there are some thin threads running through S3 ("it cannot be said aloud now"), that I am genuinely interested in seeing whether they are kept woven through the new material, and if so, how they evolve(d). They might still be there even if it is not TP, but it would just not feel the same.

That being said, the recent news is very strange (I am referring to TP rights and all that business), I am not yet sure what to make of it, but if it is TP, I am ok with Lynch going solo, like he did with FWWM. I hope Lynch maintains full creative control over the content, as the overall climate, or outlook, is generally speaking, squarely going in the opposite direction. If that were to happen, maybe it would be better if did not get made at all.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Way late to the party here but I'm personally crossing my fingers it's maybe a new/beefed up version of The Antelope Don't Run No More, perhaps with elements of TP woven in. If the original script had strands from IE and MD why not throw in stuff from The Return for good measure? It always really bummed me out to read everybody loved the Antelope script but he couldn't get funding so if Netflix coughed up enough of a budget for him to execute it that would be one hell of a way to go out (I'm assuming whatever this thing is is probably his last major production, given his age/health)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Even if it was an anthology-style show, not quite as linear as other anthology shows, but kind of an actual version of what I called The Return - "The David Lynch Variety Show". One episode could be a TP one, another Antelope, another Ronnie Rocket or One Saliva Bubble, or some other idea or unproduced script, Dream of the Bovine? Then an episode with bits and pieces of some or all of them thrown in. I'd rather more TP but I'd be okay with that idea too. Maybe that's why there's two working titles - because one of them is the real title and it is a new show.

Or even if it's more TP, he might fold in more ideas from those other projects, sort of how The Return did.