Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Re: Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

Lost is my favorite show and Twin Peaks would be my 2nd. No other shows have come close for me.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I'm currently watching Ratched. Seen 3 episodes. Top cast!
If the quality remains, it may break into my top 10!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:Lost is my favorite show and Twin Peaks would be my 2nd. No other shows have come close for me.
Same but would probably reverse 1 and 2.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

How come you'd rank "Lost" above Lindelof's own "The Leftovers" and "Watchmen"? To me those are infinitely better executed than "Lost", as well as more ambitious in their artistic scope.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Never saw them, either couldn't get into them or wasn't interested in the concept.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Jonah wrote:Never saw them, either couldn't get into them or wasn't interested in the concept.
"The Leftover" takes almost a full season to find its footing, but from then on it is brilliant. Conversely the pilot of "Watchmen" might be the best episode of that show. Anyways, if "Lost" is one of your favorite shows, check out these much better shows by the same creator. Your patience will be richly rewarded.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re:Lo Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

Post by Jonah »

I tried "The Leftovers" but it was too realistic and heavy for me at that time in my life. I was much younger when I got into "Lost", and while it had some heavy stuff, like TP, it had so much escapism built into it, that it worked for me. "Watchmen" never appealed because I'm not into comic book stuff. But really I think TP and Lost just came around at the right times and when I was the right age for me to become obsessed by them. I struggle to get into TV shows now and have mostly lost interest, so I just tend to rewatch the stuff I like. I occasionally try new stuff but they usually don't work for me.

I also liked "Dexter" until its last season, loved "Northern Exposure", "Frasier" and a handful of classic sitcoms ("Friends", "Seinfeld", "Cheers", "The Golden Girls"), also mostly liked the first few seasons of "The Office" and "Parks and Recreation". Got into "Person of Interest" but gave up in Season 4 though I've thought about going back, and gave up on "Fringe" right before it apparently gets really good (end of Season 1) and that's something I've been meaning to go back to for years. I also got into some other shows like "AHS" and "Homeland", but gave up after a few seasons, and it's been a few years now since I've tried to get into a multi-season show though I've watched a handful of miniseries or limited series I've thought were okay (first season of "True Detective", "Hollywood", "Feud", "The Bodyguard", "The Night Watchmen"). I have a long list of other shows I've been meaning to try, but there's so much stuff out there it's overwhelming, so usually when I have time now I prefer to just rewatch TP/Lost (usually TP more) lol.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Just wanted to drop a word real quick: I'm currently on the second season of The Deuce, David (The Wire) Simon's latest collaboration with HBO that chronicles the rise of sex industry in the 70s and 80s against the backdrop of street-level NYC and it's insanely good! Right now, my only gripe is that it's only three seasons long (they aired it in the 2017-19 timespan) and I can't for the life of me figure out how it's all gonna work out/round up by the end, 'cause there's just so many characters, destinies and situations that are really multilayered and complex (in the best David Simon fashion) and so little time. But I hear going only 3 seasons was the showrunners' plan from the beginning so I guess the artistic vision is/will be uncompromised. And, boy, does it look aces as well - you practically get dropped into New York of that time when you tune in. This show is reminding me all over again why TELEVISON's where it's at at the moment!
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

MoondogJR wrote:I'm currently watching Ratched. Seen 3 episodes. Top cast!
If the quality remains, it may break into my top 10!
For those wo care: Ratched didn't hold up and won't be marking my top 10.
Jennifer Lynch directed one of the episodes by the way, unfortunatly one of the weaker ones...

Now watching The Queens Gambit. Very good!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Agent Earle wrote:Just wanted to drop a word real quick: I'm currently on the second season of The Deuce, David (The Wire) Simon's latest collaboration with HBO that chronicles the rise of sex industry in the 70s and 80s against the backdrop of street-level NYC and it's insanely good! Right now, my only gripe is that it's only three seasons long (they aired it in the 2017-19 timespan) and I can't for the life of me figure out how it's all gonna work out/round up by the end, 'cause there's just so many characters, destinies and situations that are really multilayered and complex (in the best David Simon fashion) and so little time. But I hear going only 3 seasons was the showrunners' plan from the beginning so I guess the artistic vision is/will be uncompromised. And, boy, does it look aces as well - you practically get dropped into New York of that time when you tune in. This show is reminding me all over again why TELEVISON's where it's at at the moment!
Haven't watched it yet, but it sounds good!

By the way, David Simon had an even more recent collaboration with HBO, a miniseries called The Plot Against America, based on a Philip Roth novel, which aired in March / April 2020. I haven't started it yet, but it sounds really interesting: "The Plot Against America imagines an alternate American history told through the eyes of a working-class Jewish family in Newark, New Jersey, as they watch the political rise of Charles Lindbergh, an aviator-hero and xenophobic populist, who becomes president and turns the nation toward fascism."
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

"Top 10 TV shows" is a broad category.

I mean, do I consider "Cosmos," "Jeopardy," and "Mystery Science Theater 3000," and the like?

Or are we only talking dramas?

Well, Twin Peaks is #1 for me anyway. So there's that.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Dougie Cooper wrote:"Top 10 TV shows" is a broad category.

I mean, do I consider "Cosmos," "Jeopardy," and "Mystery Science Theater 3000," and the like?

This is definitely debatable, but I always presume that people are talking about "dramas". For me, a bigger issue are examples like Mike Nichols' Angels in America (2003), which is mainly considered a miniseries, and I would definitely include it in my top 10, but people often refer to it as a film. It was shown on HBO, in two parts, but it could be easily perceived as a long film (it is shorter than, for example, Béla Tarr's Sátántangó).
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Dougie Cooper wrote:"Top 10 TV shows" is a broad category.

It's open to all and the like. Feel free to include anything with episodes just no movies. That's for another thread.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Stavrogyn wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Just wanted to drop a word real quick: I'm currently on the second season of The Deuce, David (The Wire) Simon's latest collaboration with HBO that chronicles the rise of sex industry in the 70s and 80s against the backdrop of street-level NYC and it's insanely good! Right now, my only gripe is that it's only three seasons long (they aired it in the 2017-19 timespan) and I can't for the life of me figure out how it's all gonna work out/round up by the end, 'cause there's just so many characters, destinies and situations that are really multilayered and complex (in the best David Simon fashion) and so little time. But I hear going only 3 seasons was the showrunners' plan from the beginning so I guess the artistic vision is/will be uncompromised. And, boy, does it look aces as well - you practically get dropped into New York of that time when you tune in. This show is reminding me all over again why TELEVISON's where it's at at the moment!
Haven't watched it yet, but it sounds good!

By the way, David Simon had an even more recent collaboration with HBO, a miniseries called The Plot Against America, based on a Philip Roth novel, which aired in March / April 2020. I haven't started it yet, but it sounds really interesting: "The Plot Against America imagines an alternate American history toold through the eyes of a working-class Jewish family in Newark, New Jersey, as they watch the political rise of Charles Lindbergh, an aviator-hero and xenophobic populist, who becomes president and turns the nation toward fascism."
I had The Plot Against America somehwere in the back of my mind, but the fact that it's as recent as it is managed to slip my mind. I'll check it out, but not before I give Treme a go - that's another Simon community show, looking into New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I'm hoping for an immersive, sprawling tapestry of characters in the vein of The Wire, Show Me a Hero and The Deuce.

Speaking of which, I've reached the end of season two and need to catch my breath before delving into the 80s with the third season. I shudder to think what Simon will do with the AIDS crisis...
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Agent Earle wrote:I had The Plot Against America somehwere in the back of my mind, but the fact that it's as recent as it is managed to slip my mind. I'll check it out, but not before I give Treme a go - that's another Simon community show, looking into New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I'm hoping for an immersive, sprawling tapestry of characters in the vein of The Wire, Show Me a Hero and The Deuce.

Speaking of which, I've reached the end of season two and need to catch my breath before delving into the 80s with the third season. I shudder to think what Simon will do with the AIDS crisis...
This is something rather different, but have you seen Angels in America, which I mentioned earlier? It deals with the AIDS crisis in the 1980s in New York City, and I found it extraordinary. It was based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning play.

Regarding Simon, I wasn't aware that he is also responsible for Show Me a Hero, which I have somewhere in the back of my mind, but keep forgetting about it. I guess it must be good too?