Lynch Telling off his crew

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Re: Lynch Telling off his crew

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

They must be full of horror!
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Blatant and very uninspired troll routine. But to indulge the subject - as I have seen others commenting similar things when that particular BTS clips goes viral on Film Twitter or reddit - it would be pretty abnormal for any director to not visibly exert his stresses through anger/frustration etc given the immense challenges and complications of large scale production work. Lynch is also so wholly dedicated to realising his vision (or "translating the ideas", as he frequently says) that he essentially lives in a bubble where he throws everything aside in order to get the particular project right. He certainly has flaws and deficiencies, including some he self-recognises in his latest book (how his dedication to work meant he wasn't as good of a father or husband as he could have been), but in one way or another this is true for everybody. To label someone a "monster" for being like that is, as I said, just boring trolling. Or someone who understands little of human nature.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

albie wrote:I know Lynch. I see right through his films. And I see right through him. He's mentally ill. he used to wear three ties at the same time. He used to spray his shoes black rather than buy black shoes. He doesn't want to talk about the meaning of his movies. I know why. because that would mean admitting his own negative self.
Why does a man who meditates make horror films?

Because he is full of horror.
3/10
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:
albie wrote:I know Lynch. I see right through his films. And I see right through him. He's mentally ill. he used to wear three ties at the same time. He used to spray his shoes black rather than buy black shoes. He doesn't want to talk about the meaning of his movies. I know why. because that would mean admitting his own negative self.

3/10
Oh, come on. I’d give him at least 3.5 for equating mental illness with being evil. That was a cute touch.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

At the very least, it's been refreshing to see some reasonable takes on Lynch and even some negative criticism of his style in this thread. At least over on Reddit, if you don't bow to Lynch's feet and worship the very ground he walks on, you get downvoted to oblivion.

That being said, Lynch is human like anyone else. He gets mad. I get mad. I've snapped at other people before and I'm ashamed that I did it. I would hope he regrets these outbursts as well.

The latest season was alright. Lynch is good, but I can only handle so many super long scenes before it gets on my nerves.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
albie
Roadhouse Member

Post by albie »

mtwentz wrote:
albie wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
You are either trolling very transparently and poorly or have never been on a film set. Or both.
The old 'trolling' routine if someone says something they don't agree with. And if I were to respond by calling you snowflakes? What would that add up to?
I know Lynch. I see right through his films. And I see right through him. He's mentally ill. he used to wear three ties at the same time. He used to spray his shoes black rather than buy black shoes. He doesn't want to talk about the meaning of his movies. I know why. because that would mean admitting his own negative self.

I know someone that goes to church a lot, and yet they still lose their temper.
Does this guy you know wear three ties at the same time? Is he unable to go into work unless he sees his initials on a license plate? Does he dump Isabella Rosselini and tell her he never wants to see her again? I'm reading ROOM TO DREAM. I highly recommend it.
albie
Roadhouse Member

Post by albie »

Metamorphia wrote:Blatant and very uninspired troll routine. But to indulge the subject - as I have seen others commenting similar things when that particular BTS clips goes viral on Film Twitter or reddit - it would be pretty abnormal for any director to not visibly exert his stresses through anger/frustration etc given the immense challenges and complications of large scale production work. Lynch is also so wholly dedicated to realising his vision (or "translating the ideas", as he frequently says) that he essentially lives in a bubble where he throws everything aside in order to get the particular project right. He certainly has flaws and deficiencies, including some he self-recognises in his latest book (how his dedication to work meant he wasn't as good of a father or husband as he could have been), but in one way or another this is true for everybody. To label someone a "monster" for being like that is, as I said, just boring trolling. Or someone who understands little of human nature.
It was Mr Strawberry who called him a monster first. So you'll be attacking him I guess?

Anyway I cannot talk to you today until I see my initials on a license plate.
albie
Roadhouse Member

Post by albie »

LonelySoul wrote:At the very least, it's been refreshing to see some reasonable takes on Lynch and even some negative criticism of his style in this thread. At least over on Reddit, if you don't bow to Lynch's feet and worship the very ground he walks on, you get downvoted to oblivion.

That being said, Lynch is human like anyone else. He gets mad. I get mad. I've snapped at other people before and I'm ashamed that I did it. I would hope he regrets these outbursts as well.

The latest season was alright. Lynch is good, but I can only handle so many super long scenes before it gets on my nerves.
I still think Lynch is a very talented guy and very intelligent and I love his films and tv etc. But seeing him blow up at his crew made something change. Now I look at his films and I see a madman at play. I see his face and I don't see a sane person. I see someone who is probably always reigning in his madness and not always successfully. I see him waggling his fingers when he talks and I see they have no relevance to what he he's saying. He's just doing it for no reason.

While filming WILD AT HEART he wouldn't go onto set until he saw his own initials on a car license plate number. That is schizophrenia.
Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Post by Andromedeaux »

While filming WILD AT HEART he wouldn't go onto set until he saw his own initials on a car license plate number. That is schizophrenia.
Hey don't knock schizophrenia.

I know im getting trolled but it's tough to reconcile the accounts Room to Dream with the videos of him getting pissed off. It's also tough to imagine that all these great actors and actresses and would want to keep working with him if he was that insufferable.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Andromedeaux wrote:I know im getting trolled but it's tough to reconcile the accounts Room to Dream with the videos of him getting pissed off. It's also tough to imagine that all these great actors and actresses and would want to keep working with him if he was that insufferable.
He’s VERY nice to actors on set in any BTS footage I’ve ever seen. He obviously works hard to make the shoot comfortable and fun for them because they have to be in a safe space to give the performances he needs on camera. It’s only the crew that he’s seen being short-tempered with in a few clips, and primarily his closest inner circle like Scott Cameron who were with him for almost his entire waking life throughout the shoot. It’s worth noting that Cameron has worked with Lynch again and again since the original TP. I think you get a good sense of their dynamic in the clip where Lynch is complaining about the crew moving a canopy, and Cameron says in a humorously passive-aggressive tone, “Alright, gentlemen. Let’s move the tent back. Towards David,” and Lynch laughs and jokes with him that they’re still too far from the set. (It’s at 16:34 in the feature “The Polish Accountant.”) There’s obviously an element of ball-busting to the relationship.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Can you imagine trying to film hundreds and hundreds of takes, and giving 100% of your focus to achieving a specific vision, while your crew hounds you about how long they are? It's unthinkable. The writers have crafted something that needs to be captured on film, the director is overseeing that process, and the crew are there as a vital part of it all. They bring their talents and refined abilities to the table just as the composer, photographer, actors, and everyone else does. Together, the team put their everything into the work and hopefully their combined efforts coalesce as nicely as planned.

So I don't fault him for snapping about that back seat driving, and am astonished by the arrogance of that individual's comments to Lynch. Considering that he is the director, working with material that he co-authored, and given his lifetime of experience, the comments are quite surprising.
I just wanted to quote this to make my position clear since this thread keeps popping, lol. I 100% agree with Mr. Strawberry on this (other than the part of the individual comment, which wasn't arrogant, as has already been pointed out), and I too am surprised that people don't just see that Lynch snapping was perfectly normal. As Reindeer, Needleman and I have said, you're seeing one moment in the long haul of the production. Who knows how many times this was brought up? Who knows how annoyed he was on how many occasions? Who can account for the lack of sleep or how stressful the production was, especially since this is one of the most ambitious undertakings in the history of film to have been directed by one man? Etc. More so, I simply don't believe that everybody needs to be nice to everybody at all times, and that there's way too much emphasis on kindness at all costs. Yuck! Be passionate! I think if you're an artist or in another position where you have a lot of people under you to achieve a result that you yourself have a very specific vision for, and you're paying those people to be there, then why wouldn't you eventually react in an annoyed or irate fashion? I think it's as truthful (and glorious) a reaction as anything I've seen in BTS footage, and not at all a fault of Lynch's or something he needs to atone for, nor does it make him look like a crybaby. Who wouldn't be complaining if you were working on such a project with far less money than you deserved and (from what I intuit) a bunch of people who are used to working a different way and aren't quite following along with your vision while you kept feeling that the purity of that vision was being disrupted? I'd only be able to be overly nice for so long over the course of a, what, 8 month shoot? At its most basic level, think about living with a roommate. I don't know a single soul who hasn't snapped at their roommates after occupying the same space with them for a long period of time, and that's just day to day living nonsense, and nothing to do with deadlines, managing a large crew, bringing your personal vision to fruition, etc. Lynch's reaction not only strikes me as normal, but necessary. And Lynch probably gets along great with his crew, and they probably understand where any outbursts are coming from; they probably have some level of understanding, poking and prodding, and mutual respect. I mean, I get it, and it seems perfectly acceptable in my experiences of employment and my ideas about artistic creation, but I'm not there, of course.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

There's a good 30 minute argument with my brother on camera. We were shooting a scene at something like 3 in the morning, out in a courtyard amongst some old buildings, and a disagreement was had. I think back on that argument and how upset, bothered, angry, and obstinate we were for so many reasons, and it's like, "Business as usual". That was for a short we had written and storyboarded, so I can only imagine having external pressure.

As LateReg said, this is going to happen. For two people simply sharing a dwelling, familiarity can breed contempt. Throw a bunch of passionate, strong-willed artists into a project and you'll see that variance can breed umbrage. Art stems from vision, and each vision is forged in a person's will.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I will also add, and LateReg sort of alluded to this, I admire Lynch for allowing “real” moments like this onto the Blu Ray (as well as the INLAND EMPIRE DVD). Way back when, some of the self-ordained “disappointed” fans were claiming, as part of their argument that Lynch’s art has become inauthentic and self-parodying, that Lynch’s carefully-curated “Jimmy Stewart from Mars” public persona is further evidence that he is now more interested in his brand than in being a genuine artist. Moments like these, which I can’t imagine almost any other director/producer allowing out there, prove that is very much not the case. He’s not trying to fool the public into seeing him as Wacky Uncle David or the man who found absolute peace through TM. I appreciate him allowing us a look at his artistic process in all its human messiness. Can you imagine having your worst moments while stressed at work filmed and released to be watched by millions?
albie
Roadhouse Member

Post by albie »

Andromedeaux wrote:
Hey don't knock schizophrenia.

I know im getting trolled but it's tough to reconcile the accounts Room to Dream with the videos of him getting pissed off. It's also tough to imagine that all these great actors and actresses and would want to keep working with him if he was that insufferable.
Schizophrenics can be very...alluring. They can have a charismatic childishness about them. The way they think can be interesting. if you are able to cover up the negative sides of the condition then I think you could be very enticing. I think people are in awe of Lynch because of his films and his manner. They will therefore report back only positives.

Of course I could be wrong and he may well be just eccentric. But I have been called eccentric before. And I am a proper loony.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Albie just admitted he might be wrong on something he has no concrete evidence about. He is yet to admit to trolling on a Twin Peaks fan forum degrading Lynch. And yeah who would have thought people around here might like his movies....

Lynch = a real modern day artist

Albie = Troll

If you don't like Lynch, why did you sign up to World of Blue? just to spew out how horrible you think Lynch is to a bunch of his fans....

I think you actually are a big fan but an even bigger troll.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.