Lynch Telling off his crew

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Lynch Telling off his crew

Post by AXX°N N. »

Wow, interesting ideas here, in what has sort of turned into a psychoanalyzing Lynch through TP exercise. :) I'll add one thing, which is to challenge the kind of "old material" amnesia that I feel happens to me and that I feel I see in others, which is that when Lynch guest spotted on the old show, these claims of inflated ego could have been apt there as well. The number of different reactions one can have to Lynch appearing as actor, even when he's not an actor, and especially later where he's written to kiss a beautiful actress, are not exclusively positive reactions. The complicating factor there, as it is here, is that that scene and that episode's writing were not attributed to Lynch. This poses the tricky business that you guys have already teased, which is, how self-aware is Lynch being, how winking is it, and in what way is it winking?

For me, it's always been on-the-nose and meta, and even somewhat of a light ribbing. Part of the humor for Lynch, I imagine, is that it's indulging in a way he might even perceive as being non-characteristic of himself. Who knows? For me, and in season 3 specifically, a lot of the comic value Lynch's role had was that I found myself laughing at the audacity of some of the things he did and said, knowing as viewer his position as creator. However, YMMV, and there's a thin line between that reaction and feeling it's merely salacious in some way, some kind of narcicism.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

I mean, it's clear that David Lynch LOVES to be on camera. Any director who releases 5+ hours of himself working behind the scenes is not conflicted at all when it comes to attention. Is it ego? Maybe. So what, though? Gordon Cole's scenes in Season 3 are great (and so are those behind-the-scenes clips).

I love the "meta" aspect of Gordon Cole. Season 3 has many "meta" details and Lynch's acting role in it is certainly one of them. Gordon Cole IS David Lynch, some theories argue. I can hang with that. The brief scene in Season 3 where we see Cole drawing a picture strikes me as evidence of that.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

pinballmars wrote:Any director who releases 5+ hours of himself working behind the scenes is not conflicted at all when it comes to attention.
That might have been something Showtime wanted in order to sell home media releases. But absolutely, he clearly loves being on camera. I mean, he's on Youtube every day! :)
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.