Deleted Scenes

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Deleted Scenes

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

Deleted scenes and bloopers are quite popular with shows today, but was there ever anything released for Twin Peaks Season 1 or Season 2 in terms of deleted scenes or bloopers? If so, how was it?
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Deleted Scenes

Post by AXX°N N. »

There are bloopers and deleted scenes from the show on the various DVD sets, all of which are on the Entire Mystery bluray.

On youtube, and I'm not sure they're still there, there's some blooper reels you can't find anywhere else, and one or two deleted scenes.

There's also a bootleg tape of about an hour of dailies, deleted scenes and different takes of certain scenes, that some of the deleted scenes from the bluray was actually taken from (you can tell because the quality is degraded tape) but I don't know where you can watch this, it was passed around between fans and since I've only seen it on obscure torrent sites...

The best of them are definitely on the official releases. There's also scripts online (at Lynchnet) for every episode, with various unfilmed scenes and differences.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

AXX°N N. wrote:There are bloopers and deleted scenes from the show on the various DVD sets, all of which are on the Entire Mystery bluray.

On youtube, and I'm not sure they're still there, there's some blooper reels you can't find anywhere else, and one or two deleted scenes.

There's also a bootleg tape of about an hour of dailies, deleted scenes and different takes of certain scenes, that some of the deleted scenes from the bluray was actually taken from (you can tell because the quality is degraded tape) but I don't know where you can watch this, it was passed around between fans and since I've only seen it on obscure torrent sites...

The best of them are definitely on the official releases. There's also scripts online (at Lynchnet) for every episode, with various unfilmed scenes and differences.
Thanks a lot for the reply! I hadn't visited this forum in a while, almost forgot about this post.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

That footage is in very limited circulation. It may never see the light of day in proper fashion because Lynch ordered the internal copies destroyed.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mordeen wrote:That footage is in very limited circulation. It may never see the light of day in proper fashion because Lynch ordered the internal copies destroyed.

-Mordeen
It was very routine practice in that era for TV shows to get rid of dailies, deleted scenes, etc. In the pre-DVD era, there was no real use for such materials, especially once the show ended. I don’t know who smuggled that bootleg material or how, but we’re extremely fortunate to have anything.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Lynch has a particular quirk about not wanting his cut material viewed, even if it was cut under duress. Remember the extended Dune, directed by Alan Smithee?

Plus, there's the extended version of Blue Velvet. Which actually doesn't contain all the footage, but it's out there. . .

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mordeen wrote:Lynch has a particular quirk about not wanting his cut material viewed, even if it was cut under duress. Remember the extended Dune, directed by Alan Smithee?

Plus, there's the extended version of Blue Velvet. Which actually doesn't contain all the footage, but it's out there. . .

-Mordeen
I disagree. Yes, he has a quirk about not wanting anyone, including himself, to mess with the released cut once it’s locked — that’s true. But he has released hours more of deleted scenes than almost any director I can think of on Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, INLAND EMPIRE and FWWM. He was heavily involved in all those releases, and in each case poured his own labor and resources into making sure the release was done right. He also spent his own money unsuccessfully trying to salvage lost Eraserhead scenes from the dump due to his second wife getting rid of them during a move (including paying a young Eli Roth to try to locate them). Not to mention that he personally selected and approved the release of the “bootleg” scenes that ended up on the TP Gold Box set, and also likely participated in the cleanup of the additional scenes that ended up on the Entire Mystery Blu Ray (the majority of which come from his Pilot shoot). I definitely don’t think his track record shows a director shy of making deleted scenes public. He just prefers to present them as “more things that happened,” to quote the INLAND EMPIRE DVD, as opposed to recutting the film itself.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Sorry, I'll admit to a typo I let slip. "Has" should have read as "had." He's much more open to it now than in the early days. There's still tons of missing footage from many of his works that we all hope to get our hands on.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mordeen wrote:Sorry, I'll admit to a typo I let slip. "Has" should have read as "had." He's much more open to it now than in the early days. There's still tons of missing footage from many of his works that we all hope to get our hands on.

-Mordeen
For sure. I personally don’t believe the fault is with him in this regard though. I think his website triggered a change in him, and at least since the early 2000s, he has expressed a strong interest in releasing anything and everything he can. There might be certain limited exceptions — every artist has certain things they perceive, right or wrong, as embarrassing misfires — but overall, I think whenever he has been given the opportunity to release “lost” material, he has poured his efforts into doing so.

In any event, my point stands: I believe the destruction of the majority of the TP deleted scenes was more a product of ‘90s TV production culture than any obsessive urge of DKL to destroy all unused footage.

It will be interesting to see if anything from TP:TR emerges. The official narrative is that there is very little that was cut. The BTS material gave us a few minor variations/shots that were dropped. Without getting into specifics, do you believe from your sources that more significant material was shot and cut?
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Mordeen wrote:It will be interesting to see if anything from TP:TR emerges. The official narrative is that there is very little that was cut. The BTS material gave us a few minor variations/shots that were dropped. Without getting into specifics, do you believe from your sources that more significant material was shot and cut?

My thoughts exactly, I can imagine that there definitely would be some substantial cut scenes. I guess at least we have behind the scenes footage for the time being.....
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Is this a complete list of known deleted scenes available?

Season 1:

Cooper and Donna Talk About Picnic

Picnic

Cooper and Truman At Gazebo

Mayor's Speech

Lucy and Raccoons

16MM Period Piece

Jerry's Wandering Eye

27 Going On 6

Lucy, Andy, and Donuts

Something About Johnny

And additional ending scenes from the International Pilot.

Season 2:

Bobby Coaches Shelly

Lucy and Deputy Andy

(Seems like there should be more for such a long season?)

FWWM:

The Missing Pieces

(I know some additional scenes were scripted but not filmed, such as Harry serenading Josie, but were any filmed and held back from release?)

The Return:

None? (As far as we know?)

Any other released deleted scenes and, if so, where to find them?

Any other deleted scenes unreleased and, if so, what is known about them?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The fantastic Mauve Zone has collected all the stray bits and pieces that have been floating around on bootlegs for years and have never had a proper official release. Unfortunately, most of the deleted scenes that were shot for the original show were likely destroyed, as was common practice in the pre-DVD television industry. The original scripts for all the episodes of the old show are available online, and provide a fascinating glimpse into lost material (much of which was likely shot).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Are the ones I listed above the only ones that have been officially released? Surprised there weren't more Season 2 scenes.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:Are the ones I listed above the only ones that have been officially released? Surprised there weren't more Season 2 scenes.
Like I said, almost all the scenes from the show were lost/destroyed, as was common practice. The S1 scenes were mostly only preserved due to the stuff that leaked on bootlegs at the time. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen much at all during S2, possibly due to tighter security. I’ve never heard what the source was for the higher-quality scenes that were located for the Entire Mystery set, which are mostly from the Pilot but with a couple of stray random S2 scenes. Has anyone heard where those came from?
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Wasn't there something filmed with the Giant/Fireman in the Red Room for Season 3? In some of the behind the scenes clips it looks like they are doing a scene with him. Someone suggested that Lynch had filmed Carel Struycken delivering the lines spoken by the Arm, I guess as a back-up in case the Arm didn't look good in post-production.