Season 4? Or is it over after this?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross

TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby TwinsPeak » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 am

I simply can't understand how seemingly everyone can be so adamant Lynch is currently working on a new project (meaning something other than woodlin' and chiselin' away in his workshop) - virtually NOTHING of official or even semi-official nature has come out about it so far. The so-called reports, rumours, and half-confirmed hearsay from various click-baitish sites and wink-wink, nudge-nudge jerking around of various TP actors on social media we've been getting for, I guess, years now don't count as confirmed facts as far as I'm concerned, especially since when someone tries to pin it down, these "newsbearers" always scatter like dry leaves in the wind - Kimmy Robertson's recent Twitter behaviour regarding this "announcement" debacle is a perfect example (and don't even get me started on MacLachan). Anyway, after the stunt he just pulled, it'd take A LOT for me to be convinced something concrete is truly brewing Lynch's way - " a lot" meaning something like a news conference of the network/streaming platform that's supposed to finance and air the thing, with complete cast and crew in attendance.

As I've said earlier tho', I think there's more chance of the 7th season of The Sopranos happening than it is of getting anything new of Lynch's televised ever again. To those that expressed bewilderment with my initial claim, I can only say: I guess we must've watched a different "Weather Report" yesterday. Have you even truly, fully seen and heard the author? The man looks like a skeleton and sounds like a freight train going uphill. Compared to his present state, the guy giving statements about the announced continuation of TP 6, 7 years ago practically looks like a college freshman! I wouldn't trust him to direct a 2-minute commercial, let alone friggin' 15+ hours of television!

I think Lynch of today is only intersted in maintaining some sort of media outlet to jerk around with his legion of fans to liven things up a little. I'm sorry if what I say irks you, but I just had to express it.

I do enjoy how you go against the grain Agent Earle. But you ruin your argument of how we know next to nothing about a rumor that Lynch has an upcoming project with saying Lynch has one foot in grave and is trying to stay relevant.

And about the announcement. I thought before the announcement that he would probably do a fake announcement of some sort. I didnt know it would be about leaving the weather report. I also see how wonderful the youtube message board on lynch's channel is. It really is something incredible. I watch it everyday. I even enjoyed hearing that he wasn't leaving the channel. But i still think its disappointing he said he had a big announcement. During these Covid times some news on Lynch's upcoming project would really feel good. So hoping his announcement was going to give a little info doesn't mean I fell for his con or his troll. I expected the con and hoped for a real announcement on his possible upcoming project.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Postby Metamorphia » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:15 am

I simply can't understand how seemingly everyone can be so adamant Lynch is currently working on a new project (meaning something other than woodlin' and chiselin' away in his workshop) - virtually NOTHING of official or even semi-official nature has come out about it so far. The so-called reports, rumours, and half-confirmed hearsay from various click-baitish sites and wink-wink, nudge-nudge jerking around of various TP actors on social media we've been getting for, I guess, years now don't count as confirmed facts as far as I'm concerned, especially since when someone tries to pin it down, these "newsbearers" always scatter like dry leaves in the wind - Kimmy Robertson's recent Twitter behaviour regarding this "announcement" debacle is a perfect example (and don't even get me started on MacLachan). Anyway, after the stunt he just pulled, it'd take A LOT for me to be convinced something concrete is truly brewing Lynch's way - " a lot" meaning something like a news conference of the network/streaming platform that's supposed to finance and air the thing, with complete cast and crew in attendance.

As I've said earlier tho', I think there's more chance of the 7th season of The Sopranos happening than it is of getting anything new of Lynch's televised ever again. To those that expressed bewilderment with my initial claim, I can only say: I guess we must've watched a different "Weather Report" yesterday. Have you even truly, fully seen and heard the author? The man looks like a skeleton and sounds like a freight train going uphill. Compared to his present state, the guy giving statements about the announced continuation of TP 6, 7 years ago practically looks like a college freshman! I wouldn't trust him to direct a 2-minute commercial, let alone friggin' 15+ hours of television!

I think Lynch of today is only intersted in maintaining some sort of media outlet to jerk around with his legion of fans to liven things up a little. I'm sorry if what I say irks you, but I just had to express it.
As others have stated, Production Weekly is an impeccable source which does prove there is something in the works. The attached rumours about the show's budget and duration etc (that originated from Reddit, I believe) could well be nonsense, but we do know there is something happening which is seemingly just waiting to shoot.

I agree with you that his health seems to have declined quite significantly, but again, we know via Production Weekly that contracts have clearly been signed and that they (almost certainly) expect Lynch to be directing. So to say there's more chance of a Sopranos S7 than a new Lynch TV work seems slightly dramatic.
Agent Earle
Great Northern Member

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:32 am

I do enjoy how you go against the grain Agent Earle. But you ruin your argument of how we know next to nothing about a rumor that Lynch has an upcoming project with saying Lynch has one foot in grave and is trying to stay relevant.
Erm, maybe he's bored? :)

To continue the speculation as to what Lynch actually did yesterday, here's Variety's two cents on it: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/david- ... 234897322/
Stavrogyn
Roadhouse Member

Postby Stavrogyn » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:42 am

It all boils down to this: what exactly is the reason he wanted to stop? Why would he consider stopping with the weather reports "a big announcement"? In relation to what? And why would the fact that he nevertheless decided to continue in any way mean that the thing that almost caused him to stop is not going forward as well?

Call me a fool, but to me, this, combined with the Production Weekly info, is a semi-confirmation of something happening and is getting my hopes up even more.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
Agent Earle
Great Northern Member

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:11 am

It all boils down to this: what exactly is the reason he wanted to stop? Why would he consider stopping with the weather reports "a big announcement"? In relation to what? And why would the fact that he nevertheless decided to continue in any way mean that the thing that almost caused him to stop is not going forward as well?
Yeah, that is the crucial dilemma, I'd say. But - to continue on an unpopular trajectory - why do we assume his wish to terminate the YT activity was work-related? Maybe it's to do with health issues...
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Postby LateReg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:19 am

Yeah, that is the crucial dilemma, I'd say. But - to continue on an unpopular trajectory - why do we assume his wish to terminate the YT activity was work-related? Maybe it's to do with health issues...
As others have said, Production Weekly is legit. So while it's fun to assume/hope he's stepping away for work related issues, the only reason I would assume that is because there is something slated to be shot in May, according to the one source that logs all that information. You know that this is true, right? I promise we're not all making it up, lol.

There are also the contracts that were dug up for some 13 episodes of copyrights that were filed earlier this year. It's true that we don't know anything about them other than that Lynch filed them, but we have seen them, and they are for a 13 episode scripted work. Plus, Lynch himself said that he would have been working on a film or series if not for Covid. So unless you're going to pull the "he's senile" card, this all checks out...imo.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:28 am

As others have said, Production Weekly is legit. So while it's fun to assume/hope he's stepping away for work related issues, the only reason I would assume that is because there is something slated to be shot in May, according to the one source that logs all that information. You know that this is true, right? I promise we're not all making it up, lol.

There are also the contracts that were dug up for some 13 episodes of copyrights that were filed earlier this year. It's true that we don't know anything about them other than that Lynch filed them, but we have seen them, and they are for a 13 episode scripted work. Plus, Lynch himself said that he would have been working on a film or series if not for Covid. So unless you're going to pull the "he's senile" card, this all checks out...imo.
To get conspiratorial, what if he filed those copyright applications and reserved studio space merely as one massive troll to trick us all into thinking he’s working on something? Because, you know...UNRECORDED Night. ;)
Stavrogyn
Roadhouse Member

Postby Stavrogyn » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 am

To get conspiratorial, what if he filed those copyright applications and reserved studio space merely as one massive troll to trick us all into thinking he’s working on something? Because, you know...UNRECORDED Night. ;)
Well that would be pure art, even beyond film as such, a pure artistic achievement without any unnecessary supplement of matter!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Postby LateReg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:51 am

Well that would be pure art, even beyond film as such, a pure artistic achievement without any unnecessary supplement of matter!
Or...he's senile! :D
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Postby eyeboogers » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:59 am

To continue the speculation as to what Lynch actually did yesterday, here's Variety's two cents on it: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/david- ... 234897322/
At least the Variety writer got paid to watch that announcement :D
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Postby Soolsma » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm

He'd have to be pretty dang sick to not even be able to run a vlog from the comforts of his own house. I imagine him doing his very last weather report on his deathbed. Geez, that would actually be the most sad, beautiful and strange thing to witness. We'd all be crying and collectively eating our hearts out.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Stavrogyn
Roadhouse Member

Postby Stavrogyn » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:39 am

He'd have to be pretty dang sick to not even be able to run a vlog from the comforts of his own house. I imagine him doing his very last weather report on his deathbed. Geez, that would actually be the most sad, beautiful and strange thing to witness. We'd all be crying and collectively eating our hearts out.
Maybe we were all blind all along, hoping and praying for a new season of a high-budget mainstream series with an A-list cast, while the real magnum opus was rolling out all this time before our eyes, every day for almost a year now... And to think we were wondering why ending it would be worthy of "a big announcement" :(
Dougie Cooper

Postby Dougie Cooper » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:48 am

I'm a little late to this topic, but I'm also a little puzzled by the responses I've seen online. It appears David Lynch said a couple of days ago -- and I quote -- “Not today, but tomorrow, I will have an announcement to make. Should be going up to 69 degrees Fahrenheit this afternoon, around 21 Celsius, and it looks like we’re gonna have clouds all along the way. Everyone have a great day.”

So there never was a "big" announcement coming. And from what I can tell, he just wanted to let the fans of his weather report know that he was discontinuing the report. It was a courtesy, instead of simply disappearing and no longer putting the report out there.

During this announcement (perhaps before?), he decided to continue the reports as he felt the fandom wanted the reports to continue. In other words he appreciated the devotion.

And finally, I'm not sure what anyone expected him to say about the upcoming series anyway. We know that it's scheduled to start filming in May, we know what the title is likely to be. We know a few other things as well. Did people really expect Lynch to come out and say "hey everyone, this is going to be the story and here's how it will play out?"

Maybe there's something I missed, but from what I've seen the words "troll" or "trolling" would not seem applicable.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Postby N. Needleman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:52 am

Again: I don't know what anyone else thinks they're seeing, but I see no evidence that Lynch is clearly ill or infirm. He seems like his usual self to me.
The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Postby NormoftheAndes » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:03 am

This is just callous.

Return to “General”