Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by BGate »

Occam's Razor is not a popular principle in these parts, lol. Remember all the secret/surprise cast members in Season 3?

edit: lol I just saw someone invoked Occam's Razor to argue that this *is* Twin Peaks. :|
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Poor Soolsma is going to come back to another 20 posts in this thread as we go down another rabbit hole. :(
Are you mocking me :P
Never! I felt genuinely bad to be again derailing the thread without any on-topic news of a S4. But I definitely understand your opinion. In any event, glad we got some actual (seeming) news!
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

even if it's not Peaks, I hope he's gotten himself enough time to just run wild on a couple of soundstages for a while and get everything he wants and more.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

BGate wrote:Occam's Razor is not a popular principle in these parts, lol. Remember all the secret/surprise cast members in Season 3?

edit: lol I just saw someone invoked Occam's Razor to argue that this *is* Twin Peaks. :|
There are two likely scenarios at play here 1) Everything we have been shown regarding "Wisteria"/"Unrecorded Night"/Netflix/transfer of ownership of Twin Peaks Productions is all fake - and could be. 2) It is "Twin Peaks" because it is highly unlikely they would use this production company name - and buy out Mark Frost, unless they were going to use the IP.

In terms of Mark Frost not being involved in whatever this may be, Sabriana Sutherland has been semi-attacking Frost and the role he played in the creation of season 3 on several occasions. I am sure that hasn't helped matters any.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Frost not being involved makes me even more hyped for the new season.

I don't think Frost's vision is particularly interesting (generally speaking, that is). And more importantly, I just don't believe in shared leadership (especially concerning art).

For me it was very obvious all these years that Lynch and Frost were never completely on the same page (how could they be, for that matter?), and I was always a bit baffled that some people were unable to read between the lines (were in denial when it came to their relationship).

Of course Lynch needs A LOT of people to cooperate with (and that's just fine), but him being to sole commander in chief will greatly benefit the show!
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Rhodes wrote:Frost not being involved makes me even more hyped for the new season.

I don't think Frost's vision is particularly interesting (generally speaking, that is). And more importantly, I just don't believe in shared leadership (especially concerning art).

For me it was very obvious all these years that Lynch and Frost were never completely on the same page (how could they be, for that matter?), and I was always a bit baffled that some people were unable to read between the lines (were in denial when it came to their relationship).

Of course Lynch needs A LOT of people to cooperate with (and that's just fine), but him being to sole commander in chief will greatly benefit the show!
Lynch/Frost is to film what Lennon-McCartney was to music. Great individually, but when you put them together they can get to this whole other level.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

@Enumbs: First, my contributions were in reaction to those of others. I didn't initiate anything. Second, they were much more on-topic in the sense that they were directly connected to the subjects of art and this show that were all excited about.

Still, I apologize if others didn't like my contribution. This whole political discussion is not good for anyone, so I'll be the bigger man and not react to your choice of words.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Can a new thread be started for that other discussion in the DL forum (viewforum.php?f=1) or Hap's Diner (viewforum.php?f=21) and move those posts there and leave this thread to speculate on the new show please?
Last edited by Jonah on Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

I think everyone has agreed to drop the subject now. Sorry for clogging up the thread.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If the show turns out not to be TP related, will the discussion stay here or move to the DL board? I just responded to a Wisteria thread there that only has one post.

I know some people think it's an entirely new show, but seems like the main presumption here is still that Wisteria/Unrecorded Night is Season 4 or at least somehow TP related?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

eyeboogers wrote:
BGate wrote:Occam's Razor is not a popular principle in these parts, lol. Remember all the secret/surprise cast members in Season 3?

There are two likely scenarios at play here 1) Everything we have been shown regarding "Wisteria"/"Unrecorded Night"/Netflix/transfer of ownership of Twin Peaks Productions is all fake - and could be. 2) It is "Twin Peaks" because it is highly unlikely they would use this production company name - and buy out Mark Frost, unless they were going to use the IP.

In terms of Mark Frost not being involved in whatever this may be, Sabriana Sutherland has been semi-attacking Frost and the role he played in the creation of season 3 on several occasions. I am sure that hasn't helped matters any.
Yeah, I'm sorry but there's a lot of big assumptions and outright projecting here. Two of the only solid pieces of info we have, that it's not called Twin Peaks and Frost isn't involved, point to it not being a TP continuation.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just for fun, created a poll here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4238
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I knew you weren't Reindeer.

OK, so on topic: An old tidbit, that of the casting call for a female lead in her 30s, requiring ''tasteful nudity'', becomes quite interesting in the wake of recent rumors that this might still be related to TP. This probably means that whatever story Lynch has to tell, it'll head into a completely unexpected new direction, possibly even more so to Peaks fans.

Also Lynch wanting Dern to shave her head still greatly tantalizes me.

@Jonah, I'm guessing that once official news of a completely new IP breaks it'll probably deserve it's own subforum? Probably we'll have plenty to talk about, including episode discussions. Surely looking forward to that aspect as well.

Do Netflix Originals that get weekly releases exist btw? Would be so strange to have such a massive, dozens of hours of Lynch just dropping on us.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Netflix does have weekly episodes. Explained a show which has weekly episodes
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Soolsma wrote:
OK, so on topic: An old tidbit, that of the casting call for a female lead in her 30s, requiring ''tasteful nudity''...

Do Netflix Originals that get weekly releases exist btw? Would be so strange to have such a massive, dozens of hours of Lynch just dropping on us.
Good call on the deciphering of the nudie stuff.

I'm sure Netflix would change their model for whatever Lynch wants. But it wouldn't be unprecedented. They currently release British Baking Show one per week.