Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by eyeboogers »

I think Dougie Cooper, and whoever is giving Lynch communication advice these days, should re-read "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Soolsma wrote:He'd have to be pretty dang sick to not even be able to run a vlog from the comforts of his own house. I imagine him doing his very last weather report on his deathbed. Geez, that would actually be the most sad, beautiful and strange thing to witness. We'd all be crying and collectively eating our hearts out.
This is just callous.
I'm unsure why you would say or think that? I just meant to show affection for that man.
To make things clear: I don't think his health is affecting what he is and isn't doing right now, especially not concerning the weather report. He looks fine to me.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Dougie Cooper wrote:
And finally, I'm not sure what anyone expected him to say about the upcoming series anyway. We know that it's scheduled to start filming in May, we know what the title is likely to be. We know a few other things as well. Did people really expect Lynch to come out and say "hey everyone, this is going to be the story and here's how it will play out?"
Exactly, people’s expectations puzzle me. In no world were we going to get any information we didn’t already have. It would have been nice, but also anticlimactic, to hear from his own lips that what we all know is true, is true. But what we got instead was funny and sweet and I liked it. He’ll annouce Unrecorded Night when he feels like it.
I also like what he eventually said; he really does seem like a genuinely nice person. And I agree that we will know when he decides that the time has come to announce whatever this is.

However, I haven't been on this board for a few days, then I came here yesterday and saw that the number of pages in this thread jumped from circa 199 to 206, and I immediately thought something important has happened. I decided to be patient, so instead of checking the news immediately, I watched the January 31st weather report, then went through all of your posts up to the February 1st, and only then watched the second video. And, yes, based on the first video, what I genuinely expected him to say was something like: "That gum you like is going to come back in style," or: "We are making Twin Peaks season 4," or an announcement about an original project. I was on the edge of my seat from the excitement.

Considering everything, I don't really see why would it be surprising to expect something like that.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Soolsma wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:
Soolsma wrote:He'd have to be pretty dang sick to not even be able to run a vlog from the comforts of his own house. I imagine him doing his very last weather report on his deathbed. Geez, that would actually be the most sad, beautiful and strange thing to witness. We'd all be crying and collectively eating our hearts out.
This is just callous.
I'm unsure why you would say or think that? I just meant to show affection for that man.
To make things clear: I don't think his health is affecting what he is and isn't doing right now, especially not concerning the weather report. He looks fine to me.
I feel obliged to come to your defense here: I didn't read your post as neither callous nor disrespectful in any way. Au contraire.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Dougie Cooper wrote:
And finally, I'm not sure what anyone expected him to say about the upcoming series anyway. We know that it's scheduled to start filming in May, we know what the title is likely to be. We know a few other things as well. Did people really expect Lynch to come out and say "hey everyone, this is going to be the story and here's how it will play out?"
Exactly, people’s expectations puzzle me. In no world were we going to get any information we didn’t already have. It would have been nice, but also anticlimactic, to hear from his own lips that what we all know is true, is true. But what we got instead was funny and sweet and I liked it. He’ll annouce Unrecorded Night when he feels like it.
I'm not affected one way or the other over the lack of announcement (as you know, I've been a firm believer that something was in the works for longer than you), and I liked Lynch's endearing video, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand this point of view. We know that something is coming, but only because of internet sleuths. But that's it. So as far as I'm concerned, nothing is actually really happening...yet. Most of the world knows nothing right now, and is treating it all as rumor. So of course I (and at least some others) would have genuinely preferred an announcement, which I would have assumed would have coincided with whatever larger entity he's working with also making an announcement since things seem to be on the cusp on filming, and some actual press release must occur soon. I may have been wrong to think that, but I was expecting something on par with the Twin Peaks announcement. An actual press release from [Netflix...or whoever] that would serve as real news. Since I believed in a new Lynch project all along, when I heard that he had an announcement to make it was the first time I actually felt genuinely excited. In other words, for me, "we" may "know" something is happening, but there's still nothing actually happening until there's an announcement. And I fully expected to get a little information we didn't truly know already - title confirmation, for one thing. Episode count, maybe. Some vague statement from Netflix about mini-movies or episodes or whatever they're being called this time around. Some vague, useless, sentence-long plot description, maybe. Any of that would be more than we actually had!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote: I'm not affected one way or the other over the lack of announcement (as you know, I've been a firm believer that something was in the works for longer than you), and I liked Lynch's endearing video, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand this point of view. We know that something is coming, but only because of internet sleuths. But that's it. So as far as I'm concerned, nothing is actually really happening...yet. Most of the world knows nothing right now, and is treating it all as rumor. So of course I (and at least some others) would have genuinely preferred an announcement, which I would have assumed would have coincided with whatever larger entity he's working with also making an announcement since things seem to be on the cusp on filming, and some actual press release must occur soon. I may have been wrong to think that, but I was expecting something on par with the Twin Peaks announcement. An actual press release from [Netflix...or whoever] that would serve as real news. Since I believed in a new Lynch project all along, when I heard that he had an announcement to make it was the first time I actually felt genuinely excited. In other words, for me, "we" may "know" something is happening, but there's still nothing actually happening until there's an announcement. And I fully expected to get a little information we didn't truly know already - title confirmation, for one thing. Episode count, maybe. Some vague statement from Netflix about mini-movies or episodes or whatever they're being called this time around. Some vague, useless, sentence-long plot description, maybe. Any of that would be more than we actually had!
That’s fair. I guess I didn’t really think about the possibility that a press release might follow possibly with episode count/vague synopsis. Just that I expected whatever Lynch himself said to be probably not substantive.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Thanks Stavrogyn!

The idea of him announcing something through a web video isn't really far fetched:
weather.jpg
weather.jpg (45.86 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
Actually, come to think of it TPTR was also announced on a quite personal level, with the simultaneous 'that gum you like' tweets, preceding any kind of press release/official announcement. I feel like these days Lynch is at the peak of having widespread contact with his fan
base, and therefore the prospect of him delivering the news directly to us (albeit perhaps in a slightly tantalizing manner) doesn't seem too unlikely.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I wonder if Lynch is in negotiations or if something has come up so now he isnt leaving the weather report...too bad his announcement gave us no info.

One can only assume he was going to leave youtube to focus on Unrecorded Night. Maybe something has changed. Maybe he wants more money :?:
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Stavrogyn wrote:

I also like what he eventually said; he really does seem like a genuinely nice person. And I agree that we will know when he decides that the time has come to announce whatever this is.
I am surprised anyone here as followers of Lynch would have thought Lynch was not a genuine or pleasant person though? He always appears good company in interviews, he does online videos with various people and is always enthusiastic.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

NormoftheAndes wrote:I am surprised anyone here as followers of Lynch would have thought Lynch was not a genuine or pleasant person though? He always appears good company in interviews, he does online videos with various people and is always enthusiastic.

Almost always.

Perfectly understand him though, this is about how I react when I've been preparing a stew for 8 hours and someone haphazardly decides to meddle with it
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:I am surprised anyone here as followers of Lynch would have thought Lynch was not a genuine or pleasant person though? He always appears good company in interviews, he does online videos with various people and is always enthusiastic.

Almost always.

Perfectly understand him though, this is about how I react when I've been preparing a stew for 8 hours and someone haphazardly decides to meddle with it
And on the set of INLAND EMPIRE: “What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Fucking morons everywhere.” (With a sheepish grin at the camera right after.) Perhaps the most Orson Wellesian quote never said by Orson Welles. :lol:
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Soolsma wrote:

Almost always.

Lynch is also quite candid and sometimes quite crotchety on the behind the scenes stuff during INLAND EMPIRE.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

Looks like someone had the same opinion as I did. From the Brooklyn Vegan:

"David Lynch brought his daily online weather reports back last year in the midst of the pandemic, which has been a nice source of comfort during a difficult time. Most of them are pretty similar -- LA weather don't change a whole lot -- with David usually ending with a forecast of "blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way," but he does sometimes work in a song recommendation, a vague political message, and other missives to his daily YouTube video. On Sunday, he told us that he'd be making an announcement on Monday. What could it be?

It turns out that David had planned on announcing he was pausing his weather forecasts for the time being, along with his "Daily Number" videos he posts on his David Lynch Theater YouTube channel. But he says after reading comments of support, he's changed his mind. “It hit me once again what a great group you all are who subscribe or visit the David Lynch Theater. So thoughtful and so kind you are, and I’m so thankful there are people like you in this world," Lynch said. "So, we’re going to continue on and I wish, no matter what the weather is, I wish for all of you blue skies and golden sunshine internally all along the way. Everyone, have a great day." We wish the same for you, David! Watch the February 1 weather report below."

Still don't see any trolling on Lynch's part.

It's ok that fans were hoping for that "other" announcement, but that will come in time.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

The BTS of Inland Empire is pure gold. I feel it perfectly captures the essence creating what's considered most ''Lynchian'' about his work. That glimmer in his eyes is of a genius mad man. The crotchety part is simply part of his passion imo. Though mostly he seems very determined, you can tell that at times the process of making the film puzzled the man himself just as much as it did to most of it's viewers.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

As per today's weather report, DL has had his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine :)