Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Ah ok. I think there was another actor too. Maybe it was him. But I think it was someone else.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

krishnanspace wrote:Maybe that’s the Unrecorded night. When Cooper saved Laura , they were going together in the woods and Laura disappears. The next time we see Laura is in Texas. Maybe if unrecorded night turns out to be Twin peaks, I’m guessing it could be the story of that night and Laura’s future. Most of Lynch’s films have the theme of a woman in distress.

But the fact that Balthazar Getty might be involved does not make sense in my above prediction. His character was not in Twin Peaks in 1989. So if he is involved I’m guessing it has to be some continuation in the present time or it’s a completely new show
It could be two parallel narratives: one set in the new timeline, detailing the "unrecorded night" as you described it, the other a direct continuation of the events in the "real" Twin Peaks - the one before Part 18. That way we could have two stories: one in which Laura never died, but ended up in Texas, and one in which Cooper disappeared again, after briefly appearing at the Sheriff's station. It would be a way to potentially bring most of the series' characters back (at least the actors who are still alive and willing to film), while exploring two storylines, which could, of course, at some point somehow intertwine - because why not?

This is, naturally, just one theory and my wishful thinking, but I don't see no reason why we wouldn't see both Ray Wise and Balthazar Getty again, as well as almost anybody else.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

One thing I noticed now. If I search for Wisteria on Netflix, the first result I get is What did Jack do?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm not even sure Netflix is (still) involved since PW removed their name.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I had mentioned remembering an actor saying Lynch implied he might have more to do in Season 4, but couldn't remember who it was. Funnily enough, @fatecolossal posted about Scott Coffey, and I think that might have been who it was.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

krishnanspace wrote:One thing I noticed now. If I search for Wisteria on Netflix, the first result I get is What did Jack do?
I'm sure this is a recommendation algorithm thing. People searching for "wisteria" are likely to also watch WDJD, so the algorithm tries to give you what it thinks you might want. Nobody at Netflix has deliberately linked WDJD to the search term "wisteria."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jonah wrote:I'm not even sure Netflix is (still) involved since PW removed their name.
I'd be very happy for it not to be on Netflix.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Soolsma wrote:I think actual outdoor filming should be relatively safe covid wise. I don't see any real risk reducing benefit to using led-walls over a well ventilated interior set either.
It isn't just about covid risk, but in terms of that, huge crews traveling in vehicles to and from locations, stopping at gas station restrooms, staying in various hotels, filming in various real locations (sometimes out in public), getting all sorts of catering done, going to various restaurants and cafes, etc. can greatly increase the risk. One studio with a ventilation system with UV or other anti-virus air cleaning capability is very safe, not to mention, much, much cheaper, requiring a smaller crew, fewer vehicles, no special lodging, no filming permits, much less time spent getting it done, etc.

It's mostly the money and ease which will lead to widespread adoption of similar tech, but I think that the covid thing will speed it up.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:
Jonah wrote:I'm not even sure Netflix is (still) involved since PW removed their name.
I really don’t get the opposition to Netflix. Yes, they’re a capitalist money-driven conglomerate, just like every other major film and TV production company. And sure, a lot of their output is garbage. But they take risks on niche talent, and if not for them, a lot of small/quirky projects would not be getting out there. If Netflix is willing to fund directors like Charlie Kaufman and David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin and Lynch when the theatrical distributors aren’t, then I don’t see a reason to shit on them.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I mean, freakin' Disney gave us the Straight Story.

I indeed find the majority of Netflix content to be generic waste, but that might just be the case for most media, worldwide. All in all, I find their subscription to be worth the slim monthly fee.
TPTR I was pretty much forced to pirate, as the streaming service the Dutch distribution rights were sold to had the most horrible GUI, and worst of all, badly translated Dutch subtitles, without any option to turn them off. Besides that the episodes arrived much later. At least on Netflix I'll be able to watch everything seamlessly and instantly :)

@Jasper. I guess you're right about those complicating factors re> on location filming. I didn't consider those.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I really don’t get the opposition to Netflix. Yes, they’re a capitalist money-driven conglomerate, just like every other major film and TV production company. And sure, a lot of their output is garbage. But they take risks on niche talent, and if not for them, a lot of small/quirky projects would not be getting out there. If Netflix is willing to fund directors like Charlie Kaufman and David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin and Lynch when the theatrical distributors aren’t, then I don’t see a reason to shit on them.
You aren't required or expected to do so, so no worries.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
You aren't required or expected to do so, so no worries.
Haha. Does your opposition hinge on the bingeing element and all at once distribution? Because otherwise I don't get the opposition either. Netflix is the best possible company for Lynch to work with in terms of a combination of creative freedom and beaucoup bucks; when I heard the Netflix rumor, it felt both obvious and perfect. No other company, including HBO, is likely to give him (meaning a director like Lynch specifically) as much freedom and dollars, and that's all that matters, right? And for all their generic programming, they still produce some of the best and riskiest auteur content out there. I recently counted the most acclaimed series and movies released in 2020 according to metacritic's ranking of the top 50 in each category, and Netflix had the most series and second most films (ranking behind Amazon due to the Small Axe series, and that wasn't even including the Fincher, Kaufman, or Spike Lee, which all finished just outside the top 50). Their generic stuff seems to fund their great stuff, and year after year they contribute to a good percentage of the content in my top 100s.

All that said, it would certainly be interesting if this project wasn't actually Netflix. I'm all about loyalty and would love for Lynch to stay with Showtime (I still have my subscription simply out of gratitude for The Return), but I just hope that wherever he stays or goes, he gets everything he needs to make whatever he wants to make. He deserves that at this point, which is why the possibile reasons behind him taking his talent elsewhere and specifically to Netflix is so enticing to me.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I'm a very late college student, and most of my classmates are ~10 years+ younger than me. When talking about movies or series, and something I mention gains their interest, they are often disappointed to hear if something is not available on Netflix, and therefore refrain from watching it. So the way Netflix has nested itself in our daily lives, and especially those of younger generations, is something that can certainly annoy me. I even catch myself watching pulp sometimes, just because it's late, I'm lazy, and choosing something quickly available from Netflix is the easiest way to go.

I guess in the end all that matters is whoever is willing to give Lynch the best deal.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:I'm a very late college student, and most of my classmates are ~10 years+ younger than me. When talking about movies or series, and something I mention gains their interest, they are often disappointed to hear if something is not available on Netflix, and therefore refrain from watching it. So the way Netflix has nested itself in our daily lives, and especially those of younger generations, is something that can certainly annoy me. I even catch myself watching pulp sometimes, just because it's late, I'm lazy, and choosing something quickly available from Netflix is the easiest way to go.

I guess in the end all that matters is whoever is willing to give Lynch the best deal.
I can appreciate the insidiousness of the way Netflix has infiltrated our lives to the point that it’s become a verb (Netflix and chill). I’ll admit that, while I’m opposed to monopolies, there’s a part of me that just wishes every movie and TV show were available on a single streaming service. From a purely practical/financial standpoint, it takes a toll on the purse paying for Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Disney+ etc. etc. to access all the great content out there. Certainly in college I wouldn’t have been able to afford more than one service, so I can sympathize with your friends’ frustration.

But anyway, yes, there’s inevitably something nefarious about any corporation as pervasive as Netflix, and that is important to keep in mind. But as LateReg said, as long as they’re providing us with a great deal of quality content we likely would not have otherwise, I’m grateful. And it does seem with the rise of all these other streaming services, a lot of existing content is leaving Netflix for other platforms, as Netflix focuses more and more on original content. So I think the competition has made Netflix a lot less monopolistic the past few years, if that’s the concern for anyone.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Another negative thing I’ll say about Netflix is that I HATE the stupid autoplay default setting. It’s so disrespectful to creators as well as annoying to people who care about film.