Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by mtwentz »

All this back and forth solves nothing.

Someday we will hear something about this. There was never anything in the works, or there was something in the works but it was derailed by....likely COVID.

I vote for the 2nd option, while acknowledging there is a nonzero chance it is the first option.

But debating it without confirmation (either way) will be a dog chasing its tail.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Agent Earle wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:56 am Which hasn't been confirmed by anyone official in any capacity.
the 13 episode count for unrecorded night is confirmed by the US Copyright listing, which I find really the only proof/evidence that this project was a thing, assuming that unrecorded night and wisteria are the same project. who knows. people pitch lots of things in showbiz and see what sticks. a lot of proposed projects don't work out.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I was just checking out Imdb and I see that A fall from grace, the movie that Jennifer Lynch was supposed to make in 2012 is in pre production now. It seems that Trent Reznor is the composer with Lynch also part of the cast. I also see that Baltazar Getty is now part of the cast. Maybe this is the project that Getty hinted in his podcast?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Yeah, the thought has occurred to me in the past that Balthazar may have been embellishing in that 2020 podcast a bit and it was something David Lynch was executive producing or peripherally involved in. at least one actor made it sound like Lynch was directing 'The Happy Worker' in an interview somewhere about it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:58 am I was just checking out Imdb and I see that A fall from grace, the movie that Jennifer Lynch was supposed to make in 2012 is in pre production now. It seems that Trent Reznor is the composer with Lynch also part of the cast. I also see that Baltazar Getty is now part of the cast. Maybe this is the project that Getty hinted in his podcast?
Jennifer directing her dad? Something to look forward to!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

back in the day (2012-2013), Tim Roth was slated to be the detective lead, and David Lynch was going to be playing Roth's father. I guess it's possible they are taking another stab at it, now with Balthazar Getty in the Roth role, and maybe this is the project that Getty was talking about ...

https://www.indiewire.com/2013/03/david ... ce-249143/
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

That has been listed in pre-production for a very long time (like Ronnue Rocket). Two or three of the three production companies on IMDB are no longer trading.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Histeria wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:41 pm That has been listed in pre-production for a very long time (like Ronnue Rocket). Two or three of the three production companies on IMDB are no longer trading.
yeah, she's been trying to get funding for it since 2012 at least ... she was able to get Chained off the ground, but hasn't had much luck with this one. it's a really tough hustle this business.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CURBe3sl6ia ... =copy_link

The comment: "purple really reminds me of wisteria plants," liked by Sabrina.
Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Histeria wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
BGate wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:49 am Someone tell me why I'm supposed to give credence to what this reddit person says again? A week ago an actual outlet reported that Lynch was opening a club in Ibiza, and somehow we're still gonna swallow whatever this random anonymous person tells us.
Random anonymous person broke the news of the production before anyone else did, including the working title and episode count.

Months before anyone else did, actually.
It is hard to reconcile how they could come up with Wisteria on their own, but the rest of their info (you forgot 25 episodes, 85m budget) always smacked of rumor mongering and not reliable information. I'm not saying we should ignore this entirely, regardless of this person's veracity I think it's safe to say any new project is at the very least on hold, but just the way people run with it like it's Deadline or THR reporting it blows my mind. Take it with a grain of salt, that's all I'm asking.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

I mean just look at this

"I can confirm that Wisteria is no longer in development at Netflix. It's possible that it maybe goes to someone else or maybe they start production again at a later unknown date. But it is not moving forward under the original contracts."

The way this person talks doesn't evince a lot of knowledge of how these kinds of things work. It was "in development" but also had already started production? Contracts were signed and now they've just been, what, reneged on by one of the two parties? So I guess we can expect a lawsuit any time now...

My best guess is they originally got their info third hand from a friend, most of which was total bunk other than "David Lynch is in talks with Netflix for a new project." Maybe this new "report" comes from the same friend, maybe not. But imo we're no more informed on this than we were a week ago.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

BGate wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:04 am
Histeria wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
BGate wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:49 am Someone tell me why I'm supposed to give credence to what this reddit person says again? A week ago an actual outlet reported that Lynch was opening a club in Ibiza, and somehow we're still gonna swallow whatever this random anonymous person tells us.
Random anonymous person broke the news of the production before anyone else did, including the working title and episode count.

Months before anyone else did, actually.
It is hard to reconcile how they could come up with Wisteria on their own, but the rest of their info (you forgot 25 episodes, 85m budget) always smacked of rumor mongering and not reliable information. I'm not saying we should ignore this entirely, regardless of this person's veracity I think it's safe to say any new project is at the very least on hold, but just the way people run with it like it's Deadline or THR reporting it blows my mind. Take it with a grain of salt, that's all I'm asking.
He said they'd changed the format to 13 episodes before the copyright filings were made public by the library of Congress.

And I do apply salt. But given it's currently the best evidence we have (however weak that evidence is) imo we should deal with it as if it's the most credible update.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's particularly credible, mind. I'm just saying we shouldn't dismiss it yet, either.

Also, he shows a lot of knowledge of how these things work because that's precisely how they work. Projects fall through all the time in Hollywood. Usually there's a financial reconciliation based on contractual clauses. Sometimes it's based on milestones and sometimes it's based on incurred costs/opportunity costs. Depends on the contract, really. Netflix ordering a series from Lynch is different from the way they order a lot of other series.

Sometimes it can lead to lawsuits but that's pretty rare.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I dont think canthaveit meant production had started, when he said "if they start production again", I think it's just fast and loose typing on a board. I'm guilty of that, I don't proofread my posts on here, there's lots of typos, and mixing up past/present tenses , poor word choices, etc.

I get the gist of what he's saying, it was in development, and I think he's saying the contract covered development phase stuff like script writing, drafting a budget, location lists, but for whatever reason, it didn't get green-lit to move beyond that. it is weak trusting an anonymous person on a board, but since a. wisteria as a title came from him/her first, b. netflix is a destination, and c. the episode count were posted by him/her first, i wouldn't ignore him/her. really the only person we have to go on.

part of me wonders if unrecorded night and wisteria were two different pitches Lynch made, and one moved ahead of the other, sometimes a lot of ideas are thrown around , who knows.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:56 am I dont think canthaveit meant production had started, when he said "if they start production again", I think it's just fast and loose typing on a board. I'm guilty of that, I don't proofread my posts on here, there's lots of typos, and mixing up past/present tenses , poor word choices, etc.

I get the gist of what he's saying, it was in development, and I think he's saying the contract covered development phase stuff like script writing, drafting a budget, location lists, but for whatever reason, it didn't get green-lit to move beyond that. it is weak trusting an anonymous person on a board, but since a. wisteria as a title came from him/her first, b. netflix is a destination, and c. the episode count were posted by him/her first, i wouldn't ignore him/her. really the only person we have to go on.

part of me wonders if unrecorded night and wisteria were two different pitches Lynch made, and one moved ahead of the other, sometimes a lot of ideas are thrown around , who knows.
Yeah. To me it read production holistically, including pre-production and scouting and props and contractual necessities (he did state he had access to the shooting location documents and that WA wasn't on there).

There's the production as in the project and then there's production as in a particular phase of that project.

Though I think it got a lot further along that pre-green light. In fact, I suspect we may have been close to watching it by now if not for Covid, given the stated 200-day shooting schedule.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Histeria wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:43 am He said they'd changed the format to 13 episodes before the copyright filings were made public by the library of Congress.
I'm not aware of this and I follow this thread pretty closely. Got any links?