Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:17 am Wikipedia says $41 million, I know it's not reliable but it has a source - a PDF document. Haven't read it so no idea if it's accurate, but I think I saw that figure quoted on here too.

Edit - This is the document - https://www.filmla.com/wp-content/uploa ... v5_WEB.pdf. Page 14 has the amount listed for TP. Accompanying note on wiki says "This amount represents the total qualified expenditures for the California Film & Television Tax Credit and excludes other non-qualifying costs." No idea how reliable or accurate this is but it's the only thing I've seen about a possible budget.
That says $41 mill is the amount spent in California, which is the focus of the study. So the show’s total budget (including the month-long Washington shoot) would be higher. It’s also not clear if this study is including the post-production costs (it seems mostly focused on principal production).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

So it could be closer to $50-60 million?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:32 am So it could be closer to $50-60 million?
I would guess that just the addition of the Washington shoot would bring it close to $50. I’m not sure how much of the full year of post is or isn’t included in that $41 number. If that’s not in there, that would bring it significantly higher.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

So let's assume Showtime shelled out $60 million for 18 episodes. If the new show based on rumors is 25 episodes and the new budget really is $85 million, then that's 7 extra episodes at about $3.5 million an episode? That sort of tracks right - in that it seems a reasonable estimation? It also indicates the average per episode on the Return and the new show was/is $3.4-3.5 million. (Again, just assuming any of those figures are true, which they may not be.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

He copyrighted 13 scripts. Granted, it could be that each script is going to be split into two parts, but 25 seems like a LOT of episodes. 18 took a toll in him, and he was five years younger then. Is the 25 coming from the Reddit user who posted the budget? I can’t keep track of where this info came from anymore.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yep. That's what the original rumour was - 25 hour-long episodes or half that in movie-length. It wouldn't surprise me if it's longer, if Lynch wants longer to "go (more) dreamy". I know the 18 took their toll on him, but they ballooned up from 9, and I imagine he always wants more room to explore. I could easily see him wanting a dozen or so movie-length episodes (or estimating his script at that amount of episodes, but the scripts are either long or he or they envision they'll go longer, much like how the script for the Return was originally estimated to be 9, then went to 18, this could be something similar), and whoever is releasing it - Netflix? - wanting to double that by releasing it in hour(ish)-long episodes or just assuming it will go that long like the last script did.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

the 25 episode figure came from 'canthaveit' on Reddit initially. they revised it to 13 in a later post, I cant remember if it was before or after it was found in the copyright database.

the actual copyright registration is here - its in two parts, eps 1-10, and 11-13

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebr ... 1405&SID=1

the Fire Walk With Me script registration lists Twin Peaks Productions as copyright claimant.
interesting how Twin Peaks left out of the script title.

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebr ... 1040&SID=1
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I thought someone said Twin Peaks Productions was listed on the copyright for Unrecorded Night too? Or was that just the PW listing?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Twin Peaks Productions was only listed in a PW listing i believe
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Regarding announcement... El Camino I think was announced once there was a trailer, after principal photography. Lynch has acknowledged watching all of Breaking Bad in some interviews, so it's possible he took note of that.

I think Inland Empire was a few years in, before he said anything on his site. I seem to remember when Mulholland went back into production as a feature, it was kept fairly quiet.

The Return is one of the only instances of a big announcement before production with the social media tweets and stuff I can think of, which he may regret. though then again, negoiating in public has it's virtues.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I've been wondering why there are two working titles floating around, both Unrecorded Night and Wisteria, whereas there was only one working title for The Return: Rancho Rosa. This has made me wonder if this is really an original series, not related to Twin Peaks, while hoping that it is. On the copyright link above, as you noted, the movie doesn't list Twin Peaks as part of the main title at all. It is listed as an alternative/other title, along with another one - Teresa Banks and the last seven days of Laura Palmer. So FWWM had two non-TP titles (though they mentioned character names or a reference to a line used in the series). Could this new show, if it's TP related, be Twin Peaks: Unrecorded Night? Sounds like it could work more than Twin Peaks: Wisteria. Maybe Wisteria is the name of the first episode. Then again, it's a moot point if this is an original series.

Unrecorded Night really sounds like it could be related to the night Laura was not killed - i.e. Cooper preventing her being killed, leading to unrecorded events. As I noted before, it also made me think of the final scene of the Return with Richard/Carrie outside the house. And it reminds me too a bit of Industrial Symphony No. 1.

Wisteria I know is a reference to Lynch's view of LA, right?

Have either of these phrases been used in TP or Lynch works otherwise?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It just comes down to how Lynch (or Sabrina or whoever) filled out the copyright application form. The person submitting the work writes the title in, and that’s how it’s copyrighted. My sense is that Unrecorded Night is the actual working title (not that it might not change), since that’s what they put on the copyright, and Wisteria is/was the fake working title intended to throw people off the scent (a la “Blue Harvest” for Return of the Jedi, Rancho Rosa for TR, etc.)...a title they don’t actually intend to use officially, but which is used to book studio space etc. to keep a low profile. Of course, that practice is so outdated in the Internet age, I don’t know why they bother anymore...we knew RR was TP by October 2015, everyone knew Black Widow was shooting as “Blue Bayou” before production even started, etc. Dumb.

Anyway, that’s how it seemed based in the info we had. But Kyle etc. hyping up the “wisteria” angle has made me wonder some. It could still be that wisteria will play some role in Unrecorded Night (as Rancho Rosa did in TR) without being the title.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am It just comes down to how Lynch (or Sabrina or whoever) filled out the copyright application form. The person submitting the work writes the title in, and that’s how it’s copyrighted. My sense is that Unrecorded Night is the actual working title (not that it might not change), since that’s what they put on the copyright, and Wisteria is/was the fake working title intended to throw people off the scent (a la “Blue Harvest” for Return of the Jedi, Rancho Rosa for TR, etc.)...a title they don’t actually intend to use officially, but which is used to book studio space etc. to keep a low profile. Of course, that practice is so outdated in the Internet age, I don’t know why they bother anymore...we knew RR was TP by October 2015, everyone knew Black Widow was shooting as “Blue Bayou” before production even started, etc. Dumb.

Anyway, that’s how it seemed based in the info we had. But Kyle etc. hyping up the “wisteria” angle has made me wonder some. It could still be that wisteria will play some role in Unrecorded Night (as Rancho Rosa did in TR) without being the title.
That sounds intrinsically right to me - that the real title is Unrecorded Night (or even Twin Peaks: Unrecorded Night like TP: FWWM, if it is TP-related) and that Wisteria is a working title like you say (or the name of a location/first episode/something referenced heavily in the show). It is curious, though, that it's what's begun being used by the cast in hashtag form, maybe just because it's shorter and easier to remember, not sure. Also, isn't that the title that first came out with the rumours despite it not being on the copyright forms? Maybe Andrea Hays was just picking up on that, but Kyle would likely be more in the know, even if not fully.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think it’s easier to tease “wisteria” by posting an innocent photo of a plant. If they were to post about “unrecorded night,” that would be a dead giveaway because it’s such a specific phrase (also, what would the photo possibly be)?