Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by eyeboogers »

krishnanspace wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:06 am Also if the series is being shot in a studio I’m guessing there might be some heavy CGI involved
"Twin Peaks"(1990) was mostly shot in a studio, "Twin Peaks"(2017) was mostly shot in a studio.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:37 am
krishnanspace wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:06 am Also if the series is being shot in a studio I’m guessing there might be some heavy CGI involved
"Twin Peaks"(1990) was mostly shot in a studio, "Twin Peaks"(2017) was mostly shot in a studio.
The latter is not true. Out of a seven-month principal shoot, only the final month was studio work. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4209
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

the 85 million budget figure i think came from someone on Reddit.

it's really hard to keep a production that big under wraps, it would employ hundreds of people and need a lot of resources.
i dunno.
i'm skeptical on that budget.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

I’m just thinking on the info that we have gotten saying that it’s for a big streaming giant presumably Netflix with a budget of 85 million
This is the part that i'm so excited about though.... that they may be giving him an 85 million budget.

And it doesn't matter what it is.....I think we'll be debating and discussing if it connects to the twin peaks world forever
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

For me the biggest clue to it possibly being Twin Peaks is Lynch supposedly acquiring all the rights to Twin Peaks. That doesn't mean this project is for sure Twin Peaks if true.

If it is Twin Peaks I do love the sound of there being unbloomed Wisteria in the pilot when they find Laura's body and this "new project" being Twin Peaks Wisteria/Unrecorded Night both titles fit perfect.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am the 85 million budget figure i think came from someone on Reddit.

it's really hard to keep a production that big under wraps, it would employ hundreds of people and need a lot of resources.
i dunno.
i'm skeptical on that budget.
I don’t recall where this number came from, and if it’s some random Reddit user, I don’t put much stock in it. But if this thing is 13 episodes (per the copyright office filings), $85 mill isn’t THAT crazy. That’s about $6.5 million per episode. Per this FilmLA brochure, your typical Modern Family-esque single-camera half-hour sitcom cost $2-4 million per episode as of 2017. Certainly, Netflix would be willing to cut Lynch a larger budget per episode than The Goldbergs or whatever, especially since these episodes will (presumably) be longer and far more elaborate than the average sitcom.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

lynch is well used to much smaller budgets though. I think he'll make it go a long way
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

i think the $6mill per episode figure for conventional TV is based upon each episode has different writers, a different director, sometimes a different DP, editor, and each episode (or sometimes two at a time at HBO) is blocked out with a rehearsal period, each episode becomes it's own self contained mini-movie with different expenses allocated to each.

The Return was all one director/DP/crew - and they shot by location rather than by episode, so the budget was allocated more like a feature. so to me.. 85 seems high.... I guess possible, DL did feel short changed by showtime and makes sense he'd leave them if Netflix gave him more budget..

but i just feel like a quoting an anonymous person on Reddit as fact is a little Qanon/cicada3301...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 am i think the $6mill per episode figure for conventional TV is based upon each episode has different writers, a different director, sometimes a different DP, editor, and each episode (or sometimes two at a time at HBO) is blocked out with a rehearsal period, each episode becomes it's own self contained mini-movie with different expenses allocated to each.

The Return was all one director/DP/crew - and they shot by location rather than by episode, so the budget was allocated more like a feature. so to me.. 85 seems high.... I guess possible, DL did feel short changed by showtime and makes sense he'd leave them if Netflix gave him more budget..

but i just feel like a quoting an anonymous person on Reddit as fact is a little Qanon/cicada3301...
It’s also possible these are 13 mini-movies as some have speculated, as opposed to TR’s “one big movie.” Literally anything is possible, and it’s fun to speculate. But I’m with you 100%, I’d put no stock in an anonymous Reddit user unless he/she had previously provided verifiably reliable intel.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think that Reddit user was called 'canthaveit' (?) or it was canthavit that quoted a prior user, and they did use the name Wisteria and the 85 mill budget a good few months before it was in production weekly. it was dismissed initially but then people looked back at it after the PW listing.

the person got the wisteria bit ahed of pw, so thats why some folks think they are credible. who knows
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I remember someone posted a brochure which mentioned the Returns budget which was around 40 million. Season 3 had almost 200 actors if I remember the cast list. It was shot at multiple locations , was 18 hours long .
Wonder what 13 episodes with 85 million dollars from Lynch would look like. I’m 90% sure that the budget is pretty accurate. The person on reddit had posted it around a year ago and no one believed it at that time. Let’s wait till the first week of May and hope it’s whatever all of us want!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:50 am I remember someone posted a brochure which mentioned the Returns budget which was around 40 million. Season 3 had almost 200 actors if I remember the cast list. It was shot at multiple locations , was 18 hours long .
Wonder what 13 episodes with 85 million dollars from Lynch would look like. I’m 90% sure that the budget is pretty accurate. The person on reddit had posted it around a year ago and no one believed it at that time. Let’s wait till the first week of May and hope it’s whatever all of us want!
The 200 actors also worked for scale, though (aside from Kyle), so the overall budget paid to actors works out to way way less than what a normal 200-actor production would look like.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

if i had to guess Return budget, i would say like 30 mill.

40 mill could be accurate. it looks shoestring in some places, lavish in others.

if netflix were putting 85 mill on the table, yeah, pretty hard for CBS/showtime to match it.

maybe canthaveit is arbogast's reddit name.

the original canthaveit post appears was:

Netflix. 25 hour-long episodes. $85 mil budget. Starts shooting in May. Code/working title is Wisteria.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Krishnan - its just highly unlikely the new project is budgeted at 85 million. I can't think of any supporting evidence or argument how it could be? The Return was sold overseas to a whole load of places and that's good but its not like the show was some sort of mainstream high-viewing-figures extravaganza by any means! How could Lynch and co. command such a budget?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 am Krishnan - its just highly unlikely the new project is budgeted at 85 million. I can't think of any supporting evidence or argument how it could be? The Return was sold overseas to a whole load of places and that's good but its not like the show was some sort of mainstream high-viewing-figures extravaganza by any means! How could Lynch and co. command such a budget?
I'm not saying it's true, but...

Because it's Netflix, and Lynch has now regained his cred. The budget makes a lot of sense, imo.

And while others have already pointed this out, I just want to second that if Wisteria is a true working title, then that is why that Reddit rando is to also be cautiously believed about the 85 mil budget, especially if 13 (or 25) episodes is also true.

Again, I'm not saying it's true. But the dots are connectable if we take any one piece of his information as being true.