Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

[quote=NormoftheAndes post_id=126203 time=1618420538 user_id=4665]
Krishnan - its just highly unlikely the new project is budgeted at 85 million. I can't think of any supporting evidence or argument how it could be? The Return was sold overseas to a whole load of places and that's good but its not like the show was some sort of mainstream high-viewing-figures extravaganza by any means! How could Lynch and co. command such a budget?
[/quote]

depends how much faith you put in canthaveit at reddit.

some subsequent posts from them indicate they know pre production has been moving ahead over the last year.

canthaveit is a movie buff looks like. going by other posts. fan of Repo Man, Pale Flower, The Vanishing and Soldonz's Happiness..
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

There's certainly a number of wild cards when discussing the landing spot and associated budget for this project.

It's relatively safe to assume The Return clocked in at about $50mil based upon a statement made by David Nevins that the budget was basically on average with Showtime's other concurrent premium series', which at the time was in the $3mil per episode range.

$85mil then would be an astronomical budget, unless its about 25+ hours of film. But then you bring Netflix into the speculation, and you have to consider that Netflix has a reputation for throwing lots of money at opportunities to secure original content. Add the prestige of getting David Lynch and the potential headlines that could follow an announcement ("Netflix Catches the Big Fish, Secures David Lynch for New Original Series" or "Netflix Hires David Lynch for the Legendary Director's Final Project), and that's a pretty big damn deal and might be worth the inflated budget, even if a large portion is just to secure him.

But then you fall back on the fact that Lynch works on tight budgets, maybe even thrives on them because they force him to get creative with what's available. Also, the mostly cheesy special effects of The Return were an aesthetic choice he made, and likely didn't cost much. If he gets his talent on the cheap like he did for The Return then even with a bloated salary for Lynch, $85mil is way overblown.

But take comfort, there'll be clarity soon.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I mean, Lynch thrives on small budgets in a way that few filmmakers do, but that doesn’t mean he actively seeks them out. He walked off the TR because he wanted a specific budget, whatever it was. Even back in the Pretty as a Picture documentary, I recall Deepak Nayar saying he would lie to Lynch about certain production realities in order to trick him into spending less money on certain things on LH.

What Lynch does like are small intimate crews and loooong shoots with room to dream (again, in Pretty as a Picture, Lynch can be heard complaining how he wishes every film could be done like Eraserhead and bemoaning how many people are on set; see him also complaining how rushed the shoot was in the Fireman’s and other TR locations, with no time to “go dreamy”). Perhaps part of the inflated budget (again, if indeed any of this is accurate) is to accommodate Lynch’s unconventional preferred shooting style and allow less shots per day than typical, and more time to improvise, play around, meditate, smoke cigarettes, and ruminate.

Again, who the hell knows. We’re all just having fun as we drive ourselves nuts.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I don’t think The Returns cheesy Cgi were for aesthetic reasons. I think they had some budget issues and due to which Lynch had to do most of the vfx. One one hand they have episode 8 with some amazing CGI and on the other we have some terrible muzzle flash CGI
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 am I don’t think The Returns cheesy Cgi were for aesthetic reasons. I think they had some budget issues and due to which Lynch had to do most of the vfx. One one hand they have episode 8 with some amazing CGI and on the other we have some terrible muzzle flash CGI
The company that did the “professional” CGI (BUF) has said that they did some of those Red Room transformations more realistically, and Lynch didn’t like what they did because he wanted it more abstract. So he scrapped their work and did it himself. Those scenes resemble his paintings and are clearly exactly what he wanted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... slated_12/

https://amp.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... slated_22/
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

krishnanspace wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 am One one hand they have episode 8 with some amazing CGI and on the other we have some terrible muzzle flash CGI
That difference is exactly the proof that they were chosen for aesthetic reasons, imo. As Reindeer said, they're very much of a piece with his paintings.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Oh.. I didn’t know that. Thanks for clarifying that! Reindeer and Latereg
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

krishnanspace wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:51 am Oh.. I didn’t know that. Thanks for clarifying that! Reindeer and Latereg
No problem! I do have to admit...those effects were deliriously effective at confusing the hell out of me for weeks after it began airing. It took a while for me to wrap my head around them and their unreality. Very bold and defiant in this era.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

i remember after the return premiered, there were a few comments about how fake the cgi red curtains looked in the lodge! :lol:
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

the red room is such a subconcious dream space, the lo-fi abstraction works for me.

a lot of other things looked pretty cheap - the explosion of Dougie's car in vegas , some of the continuity n whatnot
looked a little dodgy, some palm trees in buckhorn, south dakota coulda been painted out, the major's dead body in buckhorn was dodgy,
but I dont mind.

music budget was pretty decent - licensing zz top etc.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

in relation to the red room, which was real, i think people were just thrown by the razor sharp image compared to the filmic look in FWWM and the original series
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

music budget was pretty decent - licensing zz top etc.
The 'find' of the series for me was A Violent Yet Flammable World by Au Revoir Simone. Not exactly the kind of track i'd usually listen to, but I pretty much had that on repeat in 2017. It exposed me to a lot more modern synth pop too.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Haha, right. People were complaining about the curtains being CGI even before the series premiered, if I remember correctly (I thought there was some footage in a trailer, but I might be wrong). And the red curtains aren't even CGI. Thanks to digital cinematography, he certainly created a weird sensation in that red room yet again, even if different from the first time around.

Briggs' body is another similar fascination. Something looks off about it...but it's certainly "real," a physical prop. It's an amazing looking corpse that somehow seems unreal, again, like a painting. I think it looks awesome, especially when it's cut open later, but I never even thought it was real when it's laying on that bed until I saw it in the behind the scenes footage.

As for the explosion of Dougie's car...that's a tough one. It certainly looks lo-fi, but, again, at least it's real, physical, practical. Lynch never misses an opportunity with fire. Who's to say that what we're seeing isn't actually more realistic than what we usually see in more bombastic movies, or partly a flaw of the character who hooked up the explosive? I've blown up some cars in my day, and it's different every time. That's the joy of blowing up cars.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IIRC, they didn’t actually blow up the car (probably not allowed in that residential neighborhood). In the behind the scenes footage, it looks like they sliced up the hero car (or maybe a double), then lit the car, shrapnel and “corpses” on fire. This results in an awkward cut to the little boy at the moment of the explosion itself, and we only see the “before” (car intact) and after (car in pieces and in flames) without actually seeing the explosion itself. Even on initial viewing, I found it slightly jarring—a very “old school” Hollywood solution. It works fine, but I think that was more a practical choice necessitated by realities than an aesthetic one.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

the 'bad/stylized vfx' work that really stood out for me during the returns run, was the little boys 'soul' ascending after the car accident