Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

This is like the worst possible version of Christmas Eve as a kid, where I’m mostly expecting to wake up tomorrow and not get what I wanted, but still just hopeful enough to not be able to sleep.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Mb3 »

Every time when I think there never was some TP movie or anything else to get excited about the HHM comes back and I have to reconsider what I think about all of the rumours.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:04 pm There's no precedent, I'm sure. The difference here would be that A. Lynch filmed this in secret and so it's a secret and B. It would be a bombshell for Cannes 75th year.
I agree with this reasoning. And that could explain it. But I feel Lynch coming out and denying it so widely so close to it is very odd. It drew more negative attention to it. And he seems to have gone out of his way to deny it in several places including his own channel. That in itself may mean something, I recognise that, it's just everyone says he sounded genuine - would seem out of character to lie like that, and not in a wink-wink kind of way.
LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:04 pm
Again, I know you don't believe and you're probably right. But that's why it would be kept under wraps.

For what it's worth they also usually have announced the opening film by now, and they haven't.
Think of that X-Files poster - I very much want to believe, really I do. I'd love it to be something new from Lynch. But he went to a lot of trouble to shoot it down in several publications, a podcast, and his own video. I just don't know why he would do that with only a day to go before the announcement (or a bit longer if surprise at festival). If it was something true that leaked, you'd think they'd just stay silent about it rather than blowing it up more. Or a vague, low-key denial to a source. Not Lynch going so public with his denials. I was on board until all that. Like I had some reservations about the Variety article's title but I still was mostly on board even though it seemed so unlikely. I'm repeating myself a lot here - just still trying to make sense of it and I can't reconcile Lynch's repeated, genuine-sounding denials with this so close to the announcement. But I'd love to see a new Lynch, all the better if it's in any way connected to TP.

Interesting about no opening film being announced. I do still wonder if it could be Spielberg. Sounds like an ideal title for Cannes and it would be a big deal even if it's a few months before its official release. Plus Lynch is connected to it and it would explain some of the panic about the leak. I'm leaning towards that.

Are most people here convinced this it's a Lynch feature/pilot? And if so, does it feel realistic or more like just clinging to hope? How do you reconcile it with his denials? Just want to make sure I'm reading the room right - it seems most people are still quite optimistic despite the man himself saying no on his channel.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:25 pm This is like the worst possible version of Christmas Eve as a kid, where I’m mostly expecting to wake up tomorrow and not get what I wanted, but still just hopeful enough to not be able to sleep.
Great post. Lol, so true - very apt way of describing it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:25 pm
LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:58 pm
I think Cronenberg's built the most consistent filmography of any North American director over the past half century. His run from 1979 to 2011, or maybe from his debut in 1975 to his last in 2014, is pretty much unrivaled. But I do think Lynch has higher highs. But Cronenberg is such a cerebral filmmaker they're not as easy to compare as one might think.
Agree with everything except the part about Lynch having higher highs. It's tough for me to even consider which of his features is the best because there are so many of them that I like so very much. Maybe the anser would be: whichever it is that I'm currently watching! P.S.: I do think eXistenZ is an unsung classic.
Hey, I agree with you about finding it impossible to rank the Cronenbergs. I frequently juggle five or so as his best and then another eight or so that are close behind!

But what I mean by Lynch having higher highs might be a difficult conversation to have with you specifically, because unless I remember incorrectly, you're not the biggest fan of three Lynch things that many would rank near the top of his heap: Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive and The Return (I assume you like Blue Velvet, though).

But to put it another way, in every decade except the 90s* I think a Lynch film has outshone any Cronenberg film, even if Cronenberg had made more great films overall in any ten year span: Eraserhead in the 70s, Blue Velvet in the 80s, Mulholland Drive in the 2000s (and I believe that the more divisive INLAND EMPIRE is of equal quality), and The Return in the 2010s. So that's why I believe Lynch has higher highs.

*As much as I like Wild At Heart and love Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway and The Straight Story, I think Cronenberg's Crash wins that decade.

PS - eXistenZ is also one of my personal faves!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:23 pm Eraserhead he submitted to Cannes and couldn't get in. That was I believe in 1976 before he re-cut and trimmed it, and back before VHS/DVD screeners, so he had to show a 35mm print to a committee in NYC that rented a theater to look at american entries.

I was at the Cannes Film Festival once in 1999, I saw the very first screening of The Straight Story at like 8:30 am in the am at the Grand Palais. I still have the ticket somewhere. It was the only screening of it I could get a ticket to. I don't remember any surprise/secret screenings per say, but there was obnoxious marketing for The Blair Witch Project that year making it sound like it was real or whatever, I think that was in Director's Fortnight.
Love this post - lots of interesting little tidbits about Cannes and your experiences. And I didn't know that about Eraserhead. Interesting.
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:45 pm Are most people here convinced this it's a Lynch feature/pilot? And if so, does it feel realistic or more like just clinging to hope? How do you reconcile it with his denials? Just want to make sure I'm reading the room right - it seems most people are still quite optimistic despite the man himself saying no on his channel.
I can speak only for myself, but I think there are two more or less equally plausible possibilities, based on what is publicly known at this point: (1) There is a surprise Cannes film that will be announced soon, and DKL is somehow involved but didn't direct it; or (2) there is indeed a secret DKL-directed film, and tentative plans existed to show it at Cannes, but those plans have changed and the film is no longer set to premiere there.

Every other possibility, from "There's a secret DKL-directed film still set to debut at Cannes" to "The whole thing is a pure fabrication," seems to me to be remote when compared to the two possibilities outlined above.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

johndaker wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:10 pm I can speak only for myself, but I think there are two more or less equally plausible possibilities, based on what is publicly known at this point: (1) There is a surprise Cannes film that will be announced soon, and DKL is somehow involved but didn't direct it; or (2) there is indeed a secret DKL-directed film, and tentative plans existed to show it at Cannes, but those plans have changed and the film is no longer set to premiere there.

Every other possibility, from "There's a secret DKL-directed film still set to debut at Cannes" to "The whole thing is a pure fabrication," seems to me to be remote when compared to the two possibilities outlined above.
I agree - both of those options sound plausible to me.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

I'm about 55/45 on no David Lynch film, or a new David Lynch film at Cannes.
I think his denials could simply be because maximal surprise is part of the plan and he doesn't like hearing all these outlets talking about it and wants to have that big moment.
Some of the sources pointing in the direction of this being true are credible. However, increasingly credible sources appear to be pointing the other way. I'm trying not to set expectations and end up disappointed.

I think the chances of this being set for Cannes previously, but no longer, are slim to none. If word of this leaked out one week out and the film is finished, it's in. It's Lynch at Cannes 75. No brainer. Some rumours going around isn't going to put a stop to that.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I personally believe Lynch is sincere in his denial. The only thing of merit I can really add to this thread is to the poster that asked about rules and customs for films premiering at Cannes, is that as a general rule the directors and producers that have films in competition also don’t know if they are in or out until the line-up announcement ceremony. They know, when we know(and I am in a position to know this first hand). If a film was set to open the festival (out of competition) that would be an entirely different matter of course.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Cde. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:30 pm I think the chances of this being set for Cannes previously, but no longer, are slim to none. If word of this leaked out one week out and the film is finished, it's in. It's Lynch at Cannes 75. No brainer. Some rumours going around isn't going to put a stop to that.
I don't know if the assumption is that it's good to go but the early leaks/rumors put the kibosh on it as much as there was some early buzz about it potentially being ready in time for Cannes but that was false. If you follow a lot of film twitter folks there's been all sorts of buzz and speculation on various projects being ready in time or not. Hell, that Jordan Ruimy guy's blog is like mostly posts speculating on this or that film being ready in time for Cannes. It's not just a phenomena specific to this Lynch thing. New films by Ari Aster, Sarah Polley, James Gray, Yorgos Lanthimos and Clare Denis (among others) have all be rumored to be in the mix for the Cannes line-up but several have fell out of the running as the buzz has shifted to them not being ready in time, not accepted, etc. I don't think Lynch or Cannes would pull the plug due to early leaks any means but those who leaked Lynch might make the line-up might've royally jumped the gun.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

eyeboogers wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:40 pm I personally believe Lynch is sincere in his denial. The only thing of merit I can really add to this thread is to the poster that asked about rules and customs for films premiering at Cannes, is that as a general rule the directors and producers that have films in competition also don’t know if they are in or out until the line-up announcement ceremony. They know, when we know(and I am in a position to know this first hand). If a film was set to open the festival (out of competition) that would be an entirely different matter of course.
I think it really depends. Ira Sachs is said to have been requested to present his film in this edition because the festival really wanted it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

So if Lynch did have a film, he might not know if it was part of the line-up yet (unless it was being screened out of competition)? That's interesting. I still don't know why he'd come out and say "I have no film at Cannes" (as if a film did exist he'd know it was submitted for consideration having presumably done that), even if he didn't know if it was part of it yet. And why he'd say anything at all and not just stay quiet about it rather than coming out to deny it. But that's definitely interesting - that he might not know if he was part of the line-up (though, given that he's Lynch and if he's submitted something, I'm sure he knows he'll almost certainly be accepted). I don't really think it explains his denial (without some mental gymnastics) but it does make things slightly more plausible, that and trying to keep it a secret. I'm still not convinced coming out to deny it so publicly in so many places was the best course of action in that case. I don't think it's made me believe - but as I said above, I do want to! Despite my skepticism, let's hope we all get good news from Cannes!
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

While everyone’s throwing out wild conspiracies, I’ll suggest this (equally implausible) bummer scenario: there is a plan to premiere a Lynch project that he does not consider complete but has somehow against his better instincts allowed to get away from him; due to NDAs he can’t discuss it except to peevishly insist no film of his is showing.

I don’t believe a word of that, it’s just the Adam Kesher-esque scenario I came up with trying to make the pieces fit with “already-filmed secret DL project”. In the end I don’t think there’s any such thing - I think there is something in the works but the idea it was filmed in secret already without anyone noticing (how? when?) is too far-fetched, plus you have the man himself setting the record straight quite convincingly.

If there’s anything to this I’d have to guess it’s the Spielberg thing, none of the other suggestions (including mine just now) feel remotely plausible.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dalai Cooper wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:13 pm While everyone’s throwing out wild conspiracies, I’ll suggest this (equally implausible) bummer scenario: there is a plan to premiere a Lynch project that he does not consider complete but has somehow against his better instincts allowed to get away from him; due to NDAs he can’t discuss it except to peevishly insist no film of his is showing.
I’ve been waiting for a chance to joke about the nom de plume being “Judas Booth” (the only alias I’m aware of Lynch ever actually using, aside from Alan Smithee). Thanks for the opportunity. :mrgreen:

(For those who don’t get it, Lynch took an Alan Smithee director credit on the infamous “extended” TV edit of Dune—which is still the only place a lot of his footage can be seen, but which is really poorly edited and didn’t involve him—and the screenwriting credit he chose was Judas Booth, referencing Judas Iscariot and John Wilkes Booth, the two greatest traitors of all time. It’s the only time Lynch has ever used an alternate credit name as far as I know, and I doubt he ever will again except under such extreme circumstances.)