Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

I don't really understand instagram.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

I can explain it but I don't understand it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by Jonah »

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by enumbs »

If tomorrow is a bust than that’ll be an excellent metaphor.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

For what it's worth...Ruimy did not include Lynch in his final predictions for Cannes. He has also not even responded in any way to any recent queries about it. Kaleem has also been relatively silent. At first I thought that it was because they were backpedaling and trying not to look any more foolish. But it occurred to me that equally plausible is the possibility they were told by the powers that be to shut the F up.

Now anyone who knows me here knows that I don't generally buy into bullshit and rarely partake in discussion of rumors as I find that to be a waste of time. But somehow in this case I still have a little hope, for whatever reason. Maybe because we might find out tomorrow anyway, so why not?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

What other Lynch films premiered at Cannes? I can't find a list of films that did in general, only a few lists mentioning select movies. Wild at Heart maybe? FWWM maybe? I know they both had notable screenings there and WaH won the Palme d'Or of course, but did they premiere there? Did others? IE maybe? I feel like I should know this for certain.

Who are the powers that be that would tell them to shut up though? Cannes? Why would they go quiet now when they already leaked something (if it was true)? Why wouldn't they be afraid to do that in the first place if they (or anyone else) can be silenced now? I mean, surely if there is any truth to this and they knew it was going to be a secret or mystery project at Cannes, they shouldn't have been so flippant to spread rumours a couple of days before the announcement? Finding it hard to believe they'd go quiet now that the damage is done due to a warning or a Lynch denial. Surely they should have had that sense beforehand.

I'm still very doubtful Lynch would expend time and energy to shut down the rumours with only
a day before the announcement (or slightly longer if a surprise at the festival). It would just make sense not to say anything. If it had leaked a long time prior, maybe, but it seems to make no sense to shut it down so vigorously when the line-up is about to be announced and the festival itself isn't all that far off. If anything, the denial drew more attention to it as it's been picked up by others, plus reported across several interviews and in a podcast, a Lynch Youtube video, etc. I know Variety broke it but even then that could have been dismissed as rumours with the "predictions" title. I think Lynch's denial increased the attention tenfold. Sure, that might be part of the buzz - but seems unlikely.

I'd love to believe something will be announced/screened there but it's just so strange to me to shut it down so soon. If he or Cannes were angry about it, quietly warn people to shut up (if they were willing to), but then go quiet about it, either announce it during the line-up or wait for the surprise at the festival. Maybe even offer a less stringent, vague denial to stifle the rumours a little, but it will look odd to come out so vehemently in denial if it's true. It did always seem too good to be true and unlikely anyway (not of a project in some stalled stage perhaps, but of a completed film ready to screen at Cannes).
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Aftab hasn't gone quiet. He's responding to all the barbs, digs and memes. In good spirits, it must be said.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

Wild at Heart, Fire Walk With Me, The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive premiered at Cannes. Inland Empire was irrc aiming for Cannes but wasn't finished in time, so went to Venice. Twin Peaks season 3 had a special screening of the first two episodes, though it had already premiered on tv by then.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Cde. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:36 pm Wild at Heart, Fire Walk With Me, The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive premiered at Cannes. Inland Empire was irrc aiming for Cannes but wasn't finished in time, so went to Venice. Twin Peaks season 3 had a special screening of the first two episodes, though it had already premiered on tv by then.
Thank you!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:29 pm Aftab hasn't gone quiet. He's responding to all the barbs, digs and memes. In good spirits, it must be said.
He hasn't said anything remotely concrete though, right? That's what I mean by relatively.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Of the Lynch films that previously premiered at Cannes, was there much secrecy surrounding them prior to announcement? Were they all announced prior to festival or were any a surprise? I recall there was some secrecy around IE but only during filming and it was eventually announced while still filming, I think, but was there much or any secrecy around the others or were any of them surprises at the festival? Just trying to see if there's any precedent here though Lynch's denials have pretty much convinced me.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:38 pm
Histeria wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:29 pm Aftab hasn't gone quiet. He's responding to all the barbs, digs and memes. In good spirits, it must be said.
He hasn't said anything remotely concrete though, right? That's what I mean by relatively.
From a glance through his twitter feed, he hasn't said much at all in 12 hours or more unless he's also replying somewhere else. I also don't see people giving him much hassle at all, just a couple of questions, but I didn't check all the comments.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:40 pm Of the Lynch films that previously premiered at Cannes, was there much secrecy surrounding them prior to announcement? Were they all announced prior to festival or were any a surprise? I recall there was some secrecy around IE but only during filming and it was eventually announced while still filming, I think, but was there much or any secrecy around the others or were any of them surprises at the festival? Just trying to see if there's any precedent here though Lynch's denials have pretty much convinced me.
There's no precedent, I'm sure. The difference here would be that A. Lynch filmed this in secret and so it's a secret and B. It would be a bombshell for Cannes 75th year.

Again, I know you don't believe and you're probably right. But that's why it would be kept under wraps.

For what it's worth they also usually have announced the opening film by now, and they haven't.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Unless it is the opening film, I still think we'll hear nothing later today. Maybe someone associated with Cannes blabbed, and they've been scurrying to cover up ever since.

Or it's just a classic case of miscommunication. Something with a grain of truth gets blown up to something else.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Eraserhead he submitted to Cannes and couldn't get in. That was I believe in 1976 before he re-cut and trimmed it, and back before VHS/DVD screeners, so he had to show a 35mm print to a committee in NYC that rented a theater to look at american entries.

I was at the Cannes Film Festival once in 1999, I saw the very first screening of The Straight Story at like 8:30 am in the am at the Grand Palais. I still have the ticket somewhere. It was the only screening of it I could get a ticket to. I don't remember any surprise/secret screenings per say, but there was obnoxious marketing for The Blair Witch Project that year making it sound like it was real or whatever, I think that was in Director's Fortnight.