Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

Cde. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:07 am It's a special year for Cannes, the 75th anniversary, and the festival highly values its relationship with Lynch. If the film exists, much as I'm sure the surprise was important to the Absurda camp, they wouldn't throw that away just because of some shady online rumours spreading that most people don't even believe. Thierry Fremaux would have worked very hard to make this happen.
Sure but asking/expecting Lynch to lie not only to EW and a whole host of publications but also going onto his own personal weather reports watched mostly by his most loyal fans and lie there too? Seems a stretch. Even if they didn't ask/expect it, seems weird Lynch would go to such lengths. Again, he could have just ether said nothing (he's not obliged to shut it down if he didn't leak it) or vaguely dismissed it in terms that could be taken either way. This is him going out of way to shut it down. Not just once, but several times, and in his own video. I don't think there's anything left here. If something is announced, then maybe we can debate why he lied/denied it. But right now I think this is grasping at straws. Plus some fans are all willing to not believe Lynch but believe all these other people on Twitter who claim to have heard/seen things? I don't know. Seems odd to me.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

Cde. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:07 am It's a special year for Cannes, the 75th anniversary, and the festival highly values its relationship with Lynch. If the film exists, much as I'm sure the surprise was important to the Absurda camp, they wouldn't throw that away just because of some shady online rumours spreading that most people don't even believe. Thierry Fremaux would have worked very hard to make this happen.
I don't think they would scrap it because of early leaks or some random dude on Twitter stirring up hype. I don't think they'd take scrapping it lightly but it's possible the cut just isn't up to Lynch's standard and won't be by the festival date. There was an interview with Lynch yesterday on Film Stage where he says he's working on "color correcting and sound mixing" film work in addition to his painting and art. While I assumed that was in relation to his restoration work on Lost Highway perhaps it's for this new film and it simply won't be up to his standard in time? No matter how special it would be to drop at Cannes for the anniversary. Who knows.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

With that weather report statement we have the first unambiguous, unequivocal and unqualified denial since the "Next David Lynch Project" rumours began years ago.

Why deny something for the first time that's falsifiable within hours of the denial anyway?
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

https://twitter.com/AndreasWiseman/stat ... 6228251654

More confirmation from the Deadline international editor that "And I’ve just heard the same from another good source" that no new Lynch at Cannes.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

What kind of loser would claim to have viewed something that doesn't exist?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

IcedOver wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:26 am What kind of loser would claim to have viewed something that doesn't exist?
Hahaha, that cracked me up.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

IcedOver wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:26 am What kind of loser would claim to have viewed something that doesn't exist?
Who claimed that?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:30 am
Who claimed that?
I've been posting about it. Check my last few. Ruimy said that Kaleem said that someone said that they saw it and loved it.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

That Kaleem dude responded to somebody directly asking him what he thinks of all the Lynch/Cannes confusion and his answer was "Someone somewhere playing mind games..." which is not helpful at all.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:16 am
I don't think they would scrap it because of early leaks or some random dude on Twitter stirring up hype. I don't think they'd take scrapping it lightly but it's possible the cut just isn't up to Lynch's standard and won't be by the festival date. There was an interview with Lynch yesterday on Film Stage where he says he's working on "color correcting and sound mixing" film work in addition to his painting and art. While I assumed that was in relation to his restoration work on Lost Highway perhaps it's for this new film and it simply won't be up to his standard in time? No matter how special it would be to drop at Cannes for the anniversary. Who knows.
Possible I guess. But Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire and now Lost Highway all underwent 4K restorations since the pandemic first hit (in that order I believe) so he's presumably been treating the colour and sound mixing as sustained work for himself over these past two years. Interesting if he meant it as in present tense or was looping in what he's recently been up to?
Last edited by Metamorphia on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:31 am I've been posting about it. Check my last few. Ruimy said that Kaleem said that someone said that they saw it and loved it.
Ah. Well Lynch not screening a film at this year's Cannes and There is no new project by Lynch to see at all, Cannes or no Cannes aren't necessarily interchangeable.

There's obfuscation going on. And Lynch is privy to that obfuscation. We'll soon find out what exactly is being obfuscated.

Even if it isn't a new Lynch film directed by Lynch with Lynch's name in the credits.
Last edited by Histeria on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:33 am That Kaleem dude responded to somebody directly asking him what he thinks of all the Lynch/Cannes confusion and his answer was "Someone somewhere playing mind games..." which is not helpful at all.
Sadly, I can see his cohort telling him vaguely that the new Lynch is great...but actually speaking about INLAND EMPIRE, not expecting a small joke to turn into all of this.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Metamorphia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:34 am
Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:16 am
Possible I guess. But Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire and now Lost Highway all underwent 4K restorations since the pandemic first hit (in that order I believe) so he's presumably been treating the colour and sound mixing as sustained work for himself over these past two years.
He appears to be talking about right now though. He says "these days" specifically:
How much of a given day are you at work in the studio?

All day. These days it’s all sculpture and painting and, you know, some… some film work. Color-correcting and sound work. But mostly it’s painting and sculpture.
Again, it's most likely for the Lost Highway 4K but Janus did leak stills from it on social media so it's possible that that's long done.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

social media and looking for followers is a bit like permanent high school. he mighta rushed out that guessing game tweet to get more followers. who knows. i've seen middle aged adults lose their minds why they don't have more following on twitter, and how come so and so is more popular.
mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Post by mojo1976 »

More mental gymnastic/grasping at straws:

I don't know how Cannes exactly works, but if he did have something that, like someone else said, could have been an early cut and was not chosen for "Competition" and then moved into the "Feature Films Not in Competition" category, could he have pulled the film for that reason? Like if they viewed the film and said it would not be an official selection but it can still be viewed, and Lynch decides that he'd rather finish the film properly instead.

Also, maybe it was viewed and then found to have violated the rules (ie. not produced within the 12-month time frame,--again, I don't know how it exactly works and what the rules are). Perhaps there is a technicality if the film is actually a backdoor pilot (a movie, mini-series, or TV episode meant to launch a new series or spin-off). If it is TP-related and we were to follow just Richard, Linda, and Carrie; that may cause issues of whether it is a film or part of a television series. Maybe a potential TP-related movie would be difficult to categorize because prior knowledge of the series may be necessary or it leans too much on the material that came before. Fire Walk With Me didn't have that problem because you can watch the movie and never watch the series and not require any knowledge of it.