Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by sneakydave »

Lynch repeating in his weather report today that he doesn't have a film at Cannes this year.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by IcedOver »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:51 am Yeah, I saw INLAND in 4K yesterday, and it was very much in line with LateReg’s description. Background details like flowers and trees are still blurry, all the jagged digital edges are still there. But less crushed blacks, more balance and nuance, and some great detail in all those extreme closeups on faces that really adds to the performances. But yeah, at the end of the day, it’s always going to kinda look the way it looks.
Was that at IFC Center? How is that place as far as theater and screen size and audience attendance? Online it seems like very tiny theaters and screens. It looks like they're keeping it for a while. I'm not in NYC but could take the bus up.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:59 am
Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:55 am I'm still trying to keep hope alive but given everything we know so far I'm leaning towards it being far more likely that there's a film debuting at Cannes that Lynch is involved with in some way but not as the director/sole creative force. Something like "Nadja" where he was an Executive Producer and acted in it but it wasn't his film. That would line up with the relative implausibility he would've been able to shoot a full length feature film over the pandemic in secret, some signals getting crossed with sources adjacent to Cannes that haven't seen the film but saw Lynch's name attached to it and the wording of Lynch's denials. I'm crossing my fingers it's all one big ruse and there will be a new Lynch film for the world as soon as a month from now but if I had to put money on an outcome it would be him producing and/or acting in a film at Cannes instead.
I'm still hopeful too (even if doubtful) but what you say sounds like the most plausible outcome to me (if there's anything involving him at all) and there's already a few films mentioned earlier that fits this description - plus there could be another one we don't know about.

The only parts that don't fit is Lynch saying he doesn't know whose it is - and the tweet that said "some people doubt it exists" (but that was probably just the guy getting his wires crossed and assuming it was Wistera; a lot of people when they hear a new Lynch project - even if it's just a project with a cameo or EP role from him - could mistakenly now assume it's based on the other rumours as they've been going on for years, so quite easy to see something Lynch-related and jump to that conclusion especially if there's not a clear announcement).
Supposedly, again according to Jordan Ruimy (who I'm not the biggest fan of), the original tweeter Kaleem Aftab knows someone who has seen the film and loved it. Now, what would be the explanation for that? His colleague flat-out lied to him (unlikely in my opinion), or something was lost in translation (maybe he didn't reveal the title or Lynch's actual involvement), or it's actually true? Kaleem is considered reputable regardless of his taste and writing; Ruimy is somewhat of a clout chaser but he has connections and is doubling down on the definiteness of the Lynch film.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

sneakydave wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:08 am Lynch repeating in his weather report today that he doesn't have a film at Cannes this year.
I just saw that. He seemed pretty genuine and there would be no reason for him to add that to his weather report unless he really wants to prevent confusion and people being excited for something that doesn't exist but again, we'll see for sure soon enough.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:12 am
sneakydave wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:08 am Lynch repeating in his weather report today that he doesn't have a film at Cannes this year.
I just saw that. He seemed pretty genuine and there would be no reason for him to add that to his weather report unless he really wants to prevent confusion and people being excited for something that doesn't exist but again, we'll see for sure soon enough.
Yeah, it seems a little much if it really is last minute misdirection.

As of today my gut feeling is more on the side of there not being a Lynch film and it's just crossed wires in the media. There's something out there with a connection to Lynch (Fabelmans would be my best guess) though.
Last edited by Metamorphia on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:11 am
Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:59 am
Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:55 am I'm still trying to keep hope alive but given everything we know so far I'm leaning towards it being far more likely that there's a film debuting at Cannes that Lynch is involved with in some way but not as the director/sole creative force. Something like "Nadja" where he was an Executive Producer and acted in it but it wasn't his film. That would line up with the relative implausibility he would've been able to shoot a full length feature film over the pandemic in secret, some signals getting crossed with sources adjacent to Cannes that haven't seen the film but saw Lynch's name attached to it and the wording of Lynch's denials. I'm crossing my fingers it's all one big ruse and there will be a new Lynch film for the world as soon as a month from now but if I had to put money on an outcome it would be him producing and/or acting in a film at Cannes instead.
I'm still hopeful too (even if doubtful) but what you say sounds like the most plausible outcome to me (if there's anything involving him at all) and there's already a few films mentioned earlier that fits this description - plus there could be another one we don't know about.

The only parts that don't fit is Lynch saying he doesn't know whose it is - and the tweet that said "some people doubt it exists" (but that was probably just the guy getting his wires crossed and assuming it was Wistera; a lot of people when they hear a new Lynch project - even if it's just a project with a cameo or EP role from him - could mistakenly now assume it's based on the other rumours as they've been going on for years, so quite easy to see something Lynch-related and jump to that conclusion especially if there's not a clear announcement).
Supposedly, again according to Jordan Ruimy (who I'm not the biggest fan of), the original tweeter Kaleem Aftab knows someone who has seen the film and loved it. Now, what would be the explanation for that? His colleague flat-out lied to him (unlikely in my opinion), or something was lost in translation (maybe he didn't reveal the title or Lynch's actual involvement), or it's actually true? Kaleem is considered reputable regardless of his taste and writing; Ruimy is somewhat of a clout chaser but he has connections and is doubling down on the definiteness of the Lynch film.
Where did Jordan Ruimy say this?
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

A fence-sitting like from the journalist who wrote the Variety article:
Attachments
E4AEDD4A-E9FE-47F2-8BDB-7F49681F646F.png
E4AEDD4A-E9FE-47F2-8BDB-7F49681F646F.png (768.94 KiB) Viewed 96576 times
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Technically, most films at Cannes are new / world premieres. Once in a while, they'll put something already out in theaters like Basic Instinct in competition for whatever reason, but another possibility is he just means there will be new films at Cannes, and he doesn't know whose films they are.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

sneakydave wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am
LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:11 am Supposedly, again according to Jordan Ruimy (who I'm not the biggest fan of), the original tweeter Kaleem Aftab knows someone who has seen the film and loved it. Now, what would be the explanation for that? His colleague flat-out lied to him (unlikely in my opinion), or something was lost in translation (maybe he didn't reveal the title or Lynch's actual involvement), or it's actually true? Kaleem is considered reputable regardless of his taste and writing; Ruimy is somewhat of a clout chaser but he has connections and is doubling down on the definiteness of the Lynch film.
On the AwardsWatch forum about an hour ago.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:20 am
sneakydave wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am
LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:11 am Supposedly, again according to Jordan Ruimy (who I'm not the biggest fan of), the original tweeter Kaleem Aftab knows someone who has seen the film and loved it. Now, what would be the explanation for that? His colleague flat-out lied to him (unlikely in my opinion), or something was lost in translation (maybe he didn't reveal the title or Lynch's actual involvement), or it's actually true? Kaleem is considered reputable regardless of his taste and writing; Ruimy is somewhat of a clout chaser but he has connections and is doubling down on the definiteness of the Lynch film.
On the AwardsWatch forum about an hour ago.
I've tweeted Kaleem and asked him about this. Let's see if we get a response.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Why would Lynch go to the trouble of denying it on his weather report the day before line-up is announced?
I mean, I guess you could go with it's meant to be a surprise at Cannes, won't be in the line-up, and Lynch is completely shooting it down to keep it a surprise at Cannes - but that seems weird to generate all this publicity only to do another turn around and say there is a project. At this stage, why would he go to these lengths? Does anyone really think there might be a plausible reason for all of this? I understand trying to keep something secret but at this stage, it seems like a bit much. It would've been easier to just quietly dismiss it in vague terms, not go out of his way to shut it down so much and so often. Although, perhaps people will see that in and of itself as unusual and that will give them credence to believe something is happening as he's trying to shut it down so much, even on his weather reports which he hasn't done about rumours before? I think that's entering Conspiracy Theory territory though?

It's one thing to say he may lie to EW and a few other outlets - but to think he'd specially lie on his weather report and to all the publications seems a bit much now and disrespectful to the man himself. I say we take him at his word at this point. It would feel like overkill to go to all these lengths to denounce something (several times now) if it's about to be announced.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:22 am Why would Lynch go to the trouble of denying it on his weather report the day before line-up is announced?
I mean, I guess you could go with it's meant to be a surprise at Cannes, won't be in the line-up, and Lynch is completely shooting it down to keep it a surprise at Cannes - but that seems weird to generate all this publicity only to do another turn around and say there is a project. At this stage, why would he go to these lengths? Does anyone really think there might be a plausible reason for all of this? I understand trying to keep something secret but at this stage, it seems like a bit much. It would've been easier to just quietly dismiss it in vague terms, not go out of his way to shut it down so much and so often. Although, perhaps people will see that in and of itself as unusual and that will give them credence to believe something is happening as he's trying to shut it down so much, even on his weather reports which he hasn't done about rumours before? I think that's entering Conspiracy Theory territory though?

It's one thing to say he may lie to EW and a few other outlets - but to think he'd specially lie on his weather report and to all the publications seems a bit much now and disrespectful to the man himself. I say we take him at his word at this point. It would feel like overkill to go to all these lengths to denounce something (several times now) if it's about to be announced.
Got to agree with you Jonah.

There's no real logic to denying it yesterday and today to then say tomorrow "SURPRISE".

Would probably lead to some bad feeling from fans who take this a little bit too seriously. Yes, I'm looking at me in the mirror as I type that and my dark half is looking back.

We'll know by this time tomorrow either way you would imagine. My one last hope is that a film is announced called Unrecorded night directed by one Gordon Cole. :D
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

How's this for some Olympics level mental gymnastics but...is it possible there is a new Lynch film that was submitted as an early cut to Cannes and seen by a few people but won't be making the festival for one reason or another (Lynch pulled it out of consideration because a final cut isn't ready, etc?). So when he says he doesn't have a film at the festival he's not lying (I don't think he ever said he doesn't have a film period, just shooting down Cannes rumors) and when "insiders" are saying there is a film they aren't lying either but Lynch has more up to date information since he knows the cut won't be ready so perhaps he's aiming for Venice or a later release instead?
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:31 am How's this for some Olympics level mental gymnastics but...is it possible there is a new Lynch film that was submitted as an early cut to Cannes and seen by a few people but won't be making the festival for one reason or another (Lynch pulled it out of consideration because a final cut isn't ready, etc?). So when he says he doesn't have a film at the festival he's not lying (I don't think he ever said he doesn't have a film period, just shooting down Cannes rumors) and when "insiders" are saying there is a film they aren't lying either but Lynch has more up to date information since he knows the cut won't be ready so perhaps he's aiming for Venice or a later release instead?
This is enough foe me to keep my hope afloat for another indeterminate amount of time. :D
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Anyone got a transcript for exactly what he said on the weather report? A lot of posts here tried to read more into his EW response that it would be curious to see. I guess I could just go watch the report instead... Lol. 8)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.