Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Stavrogyn »

Ah, you gotta love the man :) For some reason, this just made me want to rewatch INLAND EMPIRE.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

baxter wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:11 am A reddit commenter suggested that Laura Dern directed a film that has Lynch plus TP regulars in. Presumably just speculating though.
“But there’ll be something new from somebody else. It wasn’t me, though. It isn’t me.”

enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Doppelgänger?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Reading all these Lynch interviews is making me want to revisit Inland Empire too. It's addictive - I live with a constant sense that I'm on the edge of understanding it, but it always eludes me. That's what I love about it. I remember coming to the realisation that it was like Twin Peaks with new characters (a weird lodge like dimension filled with spirits controlling mortals), which was very exciting in the pre-Return days.

Is the 4K restoration going to be released outside of theatres? Watching on DVD seems more authentic though somehow.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

baxter wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:55 am Reading all these Lynch interviews is making me want to revisit Inland Empire too. It's addictive - I live with a constant sense that I'm on the edge of understanding it, but it always eludes me. That's what I love about it. I remember coming to the realisation that it was like Twin Peaks with new characters (a weird lodge like dimension filled with spirits controlling mortals), which was very exciting in the pre-Return days.

Is the 4K restoration going to be released outside of theatres? Watching on DVD seems more authentic though somehow.
Inland Empire is also a tribute to the soap opera/serial form, in its own weird way.
The 4K version is coming out on Criterion, along with Lost Highway. The DVD will still be of historical value for featuring the original master, with original colouring intact.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

This has already been brought up, but I'm just now reading the E interview with Lynch, and when I read this:

"This is the part of the interview when I usually ask people what they're working on next, but I was excited to see news yesterday that you have a new film coming out?

[Laughs] I have no new film coming out. That's a total rumor. So there you are. It is not happening. I don't have a project. I have nothing at Cannes. It's unfortunate. It got built up that people thought, "Oh, that'd be nice." But there is something new, but it's not mine. I don't know whose it is. They say there's something new at Cannes, and they don't say whose it is, and some people thought it was my film, but it's not. So we'll wait and see, and see whose it is."

It made me never want to trust Variety -- or their "sources" -- ever again.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

An absolute gut punch wasn't it.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Cde. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:30 am
baxter wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:55 am Reading all these Lynch interviews is making me want to revisit Inland Empire too. It's addictive - I live with a constant sense that I'm on the edge of understanding it, but it always eludes me. That's what I love about it. I remember coming to the realisation that it was like Twin Peaks with new characters (a weird lodge like dimension filled with spirits controlling mortals), which was very exciting in the pre-Return days.

Inland Empire is also a tribute to the soap opera/serial form, in its own weird way.
The 4K version is coming out on Criterion, along with Lost Highway. The DVD will still be of historical value for featuring the original master, with original colouring intact.
Awesome. I might finally get a 4K player for these.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Regarding IE, even if it's remastered in 4K, won't it still look ... harsh? I'm not sure it's the type of movie worth uprgrading to 4K for.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Yeah for sure. It's Lost Highway that swings it though. Such a dark film with lots of detail.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ah. Missed the part about Lost Highway.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

sneakydave wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:05 am An absolute gut punch wasn't it.
Absolutely.

You know, before the pandemic interruption I was convinced we'd be getting something from Lynch (this has since been confirmed), but his student interview made it clear that he WOULD have been filming had it not been for the pandemic, so for me, it was clear that that was that. So this sudden "new film" announcement had me very skeptical. I found it hard to believe he could pull off an entire film in secrecy, let alone with the budget considerations. But after reading the tweets, the articles, the rationale of how this was entirely possible -- and actual -- I started drinking the Kool-Aid and getting hyped.

Well, that's life sometimes. Ups and downs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that Unrecorded Night to get recorded one day.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by enumbs »

Dougie Cooper wrote:You know, before the pandemic interruption I was convinced we'd be getting something from Lynch (this has since been confirmed), but his student interview made it clear that he WOULD have been filming had it not been for the pandemic, so for me, it was clear that that was that. So this sudden "new film" announcement had me very skeptical.
That student interview was from September 2020 though, and all signs indicate that production was gearing up in the summer of 2021. It remains to be seen whether those plans were aborted, reconfigured, or somehow executed in complete secrecy. I’m putting my money on the second option myself, whether that means condensing the project into something shorter or filming the beginning of a story to be continued later.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:53 am Laura Dern has several projects in development

Duwayne Dunham's "The Happy Worker" features Amy Shiels - and David Lynch is executive producer

"The Other Me" - David Lynch is executive producer
I had no idea Laura Dern was in these, yeah these could be it. I believe 'The Happy Worker' has Netflix backing and Cannes has had issues with Netflix in the past, but maybe that's resolved.
Either of these would fit Lynch knowing about a film in Cannes, particularly as EP, he would probably have a hand in getting a good word in with the Cannes committees.

The Jennifer Lynch Fall from Grace I think we would know if there's been any movement on it. Small films like that want hype going.

Variety used the word "predictions" in their headline, I suppose that could be their out. It's hard to hold anyone to their oscar predictions and such for violating journalistic principle. Though I would think they'd at least ask their 2 sources if Lynch is actually the director or the executive producer. kinda sloppy.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:23 am I had no idea Laura Dern was in these, yeah these could be it. (...) Either of these would fit Lynch knowing about a film in Cannes, particularly as EP, he would probably have a hand in getting a good word in with the Cannes committees.
Even if that's the case, and I agree it could be, he's still lying: "But there is something new, but it's not mine. I don't know whose it is. They say there's something new at Cannes, and they don't say whose it is, and some people thought it was my film, but it's not. So we'll wait and see, and see whose it is."
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)