Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think you can mess around with short films and pen names, and playing prankery.
and with novels, Elena Ferrante etc , if you can carve out a niche for the pen name's style and their identity as an author and whatnot

John Dillworth from Coruage the Cowardly Dog also did some joke animations under the name Pierre something and did performance art at festivals
as this other artist.

But people want to break even on features, promote the hell out of them, a lot of investment.
Features aren't cheap and hard to make.
Lynch has a hard enough time getting audience, if he did a feature under Gordon Cole or another pen name, gonna be even harder to distribute, market, my thoughts ,
though it would be an interesting artistic experiment.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

All joking and fun speculation aside, I don't really think Lynch would release a feature under a pseudonym. Most likely, if we take his denials at face value, is that he is maybe involved in or otherwise connected to the mystery film (i.e. "The Fablemans" or something he is executive producing, something from one of his children or collaborators) so feels weird outright saying no without the weird caveat that's giving us all a glimmer of hope. In the past 24 hours I've gone from absolutely certain Lynch has a new film at Cannes to 50/50 and now, a few hours removed from the denials, about 30/70. My hope isn't entirely dead but it's definitely waning.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I heard Fumio Yamaguchi is making his directorial debut.
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:57 pm I heard Fumio Yamaguchi is making his directorial debut.
:lol: Funniest thing I've heard all week
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

One weird thought: is it at all possible there could be a new Twin Peaks related film bowing at Cannes NOT directed by Lynch himself? i.e. something he co-wrote with Frost but being helmed by Jennifer or a trusted collaborator instead? Lynch could be Executive Producer on it but due to age/COVID decided to hand the reigns to somebody else? That doesn't really feel like Lynch's style (without rehashing the Frost/Peyton twitter stuff) but I'm just trying to wrap my head around his AV Club quote in combination with the years of "new TP?" rumblings, social media teases, etc.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Hmm possible. Intriguing actually. But very unlikely I guess.

I still think he is working on stuff, but I think Cannes is ruled out. Unless they don't release anything on the official programme, let it go quiet then surprise us at the last minute
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Our very own Dugpa Lynch got him to basically confirm Lynch is lying.
Attachments
266A7CF4-216C-4F3D-A77D-92053FF4B66A.jpeg
266A7CF4-216C-4F3D-A77D-92053FF4B66A.jpeg (420.2 KiB) Viewed 72321 times
"Jade give two rides."
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

"There has been a lot of social media speculation this past week about a new David Lynch movie potentially debuting on the Croisette. The festival declined to comment."
https://deadline.com/2022/04/cannes-lig ... 235000520/
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

DougieJones wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:28 pm Our very own Dugpa Lynch got him to basically confirm Lynch is lying.
I did the rounds last night and tweeted most of the tweeters involved in this rumour. Was surprised to see this response when I woke up there. I’m still not back on board with it though.

I did have the thought, as I struggled to get to sleep last night, that others have said on here - maybe Lynch remote directed someone else on set to take charge of his movie for him and the movie is in that person’s name. Jennifer Lynch seems the most obvious choice.

That is reaching though.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I mentioned Jennifer Lynch being a possibility a couple of pages back mostly because she has the same name, others had mentioned it maybe being someone else's film that he produced, and I think I saw something forthcoming from her on IMDB that Lynch is attached to as producer.
Jasper wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:21 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:13 pm Variety mentioning Laura Dern indicates their two credible sources aren't Aftab and World of Reel. I don't think either of them ever said Dern.
Maybe that part didn't come from the two "sources."

As for the Spielberg speculation, who knows, but Dern is also a Spielberg friend and collaborator.
Yeah, I think two sources might have said the Cannes rumour - then the rest of the article was repurposing the older Wisteria rumours again. Surprised at Variety.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

DougieJones wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:28 pm Our very own Dugpa Lynch got him to basically confirm Lynch is lying.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

A reddit commenter suggested that Laura Dern directed a film that has Lynch plus TP regulars in. Presumably just speculating though.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

After reading all of this, I'm leaning towards Lynch lying, for reasons already mentioned. I'm still optimistic, but at the same time completely ready to accept the possibility that there is no new project and that there never was.

The thing that now interests me the most is this: it's not only that Variety is supposed to be a reputable source, but some others, like The Playlist and Deadline (if I'm not mistaken) have repeated their news after it came out, clearly considering it trustworthy enough. Furthermore, Le Figaro did the same thing: https://www.lefigaro.fr/cinema/un-film- ... s-20220412

I'm going through the text, and they directly say that they got this from Variety - On doit cette révélation à Variety qui la tiendrait de «deux sources bien informées» - but they also add the possibility that the film might open the Cannes Film Festival, which I don't think I saw before.

As far as I know, these are all reputable news outlets.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

baxter wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:11 am A reddit commenter suggested that Laura Dern directed a film that has Lynch plus TP regulars in. Presumably just speculating though.
I'd watch that!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.