Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:26 pm Counterpoint: as much as I consider myself Team Optimism and really really want there to be a new Lynch film in the works, I wonder at what point the buck will stop and a denial will truly be the end of it. I mean, at a certain point the cat would have to get let out of the bag if there was a new work. Maybe all the denial from Lynch is doing is prolonging the mystery a little longer but how much time does that buy them? A couple of days? A couple of weeks? A month at the most? I'm sure even if it ends up being that no Lynch film is announced for Cannes there will still be folks who are convinced there is a film in the works still but that it just didn't get finished in time, etc. I am getting a little frustrated that it seems like the goalposts are constantly shifting with this thing where there always seems to be a sliver of hope with every closed door but if there truly is zero possibility of a new Lynch film/series coming out then I'd rather just know one way or another.

(don't mind me, y'all...just thinking "out loud" over here. Not sure what I believe at this point)
Yup. Initially I just thought oh hey that's a firm denial. Then someone pointed out suggestive comments buried deep in that statement and I think "why even muddy the waters again".

I'm just sad my relief at finally seeing an unambiguous statement
that isn't 50-50 on interpretation was misplaced.

Remember how forcefully Sabrina denied the cafe story? There was no way anyone could interpet it any other way than "this story is complete nonsense".

Compare that to "just wait and see if someone else has this film" and "the real story"
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

For what it's worth: https://twitter.com/jasonosia/status/15 ... 0306340869
sources I’m talking to are saying Lynch is lying. We will know for sure on Thursday. Supposedly an extended pilot turned movie?
I normally wouldn't give a random unverified film critic on Twitter with 3K followers any credence but he's followed by/friends with Zack Sharf, who is Variety's news director.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I friggin' H A T E this stuff! Just when I allowed myself to start hoping (AGAIN)...
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It's like some sort of bizarre and cruel psychological experiment.

"How many times will they push the button?"

"How many times will they fall for it?"

I know it's not all one coordinated series of rumours from one source, that it's human error and a combination of factors, but - ugh.

You know what pisses me off the most? I blew off 2 whole days of writing all for nothing, while my manuscript languished. UGH.

At this stage all these rumours are hurting Lynch's "brand". I've never seen so many unfounded rumours around one director before. I mean, I know there are examples, but there has been too many around Lynch lately and each one leading to nothing. If there truly is/was/will be something in the works, at this stage no one will ever believe it. Maybe that's what he/Sabrina want? I don't know.

Anyway - vent over/rant over. I'm sad this will kill some of the enthusiasm for Histeria's new site after all the work put into it, and also that it will make this forum closing even sadder. And here I thought this thread was getting a happy ending, yet it's going out the same way as always.

If anything, if it turns out he's trying to stop them outscooping him and there is an announcement of a new project, I think this will have pissed a lot of people off. Hence the bad for his "brand" comment not that I think Lynch cares about that.

I don't know - this did seem incredibly unlikely and some of that article gave us all pause, but still, it was Variety.

Oh well. It is what it is. Let's hope a new movie and/or season, TP or not, will come out one day. But like sneakydave, I am also done with these rumours. That's not to say there won't be more as others have pointed out - these rumours don't mean there will never be anything, but if so, it's probably better to avoid speculation and just wait for an official announcement. No more of this "source" says this or "insider" says that or someone tweeted this tease, etc. etc. If anything, Lynch, Sabrina and all involved should avoid teases from now on. Just an actual announcement and release date. I don't think many will find teases fun anymore, though of course I don't speak for everyone.

Peace out guys - I'm calling it a day.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jonah wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:34 pm It's like some sort of bizarre and cruel psychological experiment
Darn' tootin', dude!
OneandtheSame

Post by OneandtheSame »

One thing to note: Lynch has traditionally been keen to tweet things when he feels the need to clarify something. He hasn’t done that.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

David Lich wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:14 pm
Hopper wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:50 pm ESTOY CANSADO, DAVID, MI CORAZÓN VA A EXPLotar. Sorry for saying this in my language but I'm to tired to think in english right now. Please, David, be clement and don't play with our sentimientos, the constant in and out is killing us.
estamos igual!
Hermano
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Nothing to worry about, ladies and gentlemen. Just stop freaking out. We will see in two days. Have faith.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Hear, hear.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Indeed. The zen story of Hakuin answering everything with "Is that so?" springs to mind. :lol:
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

LateReg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:39 pm Nothing to worry about, ladies and gentlemen. Just stop freaking out. We will see in two days. Have faith.
Completely agree with the spirit of this and nothing wrong with getting more Zen about all this stuff but re: in two days part...not necessarily. As has been pointed out by some other folks, Cannes doesn't necessarily announce every film at once. Some leak later after the "official" line-up, especially if it's something like an out-of-competition screening.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Also want to add that if this is a lie, it won't hurt Lynch's brand. Quite the opposite. And if he somehow shot a movie in secret, he's earned the right to lie his ass off. And he's not lying only on his own behalf, but also on behalf of the festival, who probably wanted it to land as one of the biggest surprises in their history. Fingers crossed. And toes.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Ickles wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:47 pm
LateReg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:39 pm Nothing to worry about, ladies and gentlemen. Just stop freaking out. We will see in two days. Have faith.
Completely agree with the spirit of this and nothing wrong with getting more Zen about all this stuff but re: in two days part...not necessarily. As has been pointed out by some other folks, Cannes doesn't necessarily announce every film at once. Some leak later after the "official" line-up, especially if it's something like an out-of-competition screening.
Ha, true. I did think of that but chose to leave that out to keep the post clean to fit the theme.

On the other hand, Le Figaro reported today that it was rumored to be the opening film...
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jonah wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:34 pm It's like some sort of bizarre and cruel psychological experiment.

I know it's not all one coordinated series of rumours from one source, that it's human error and a combination of factors, but - ugh.

You know what pisses me off the most? I blew off 2 whole days of writing all for nothing, while my manuscript languished. UGH.

At this stage all these rumours are hurting Lynch's "brand". I've never seen so many unfounded rumours around one director before. I mean, I know there are examples, but there has been too many around Lynch lately and each one leading to nothing. If there truly is/was/will be something in the works, at this stage no one will ever believe it. Maybe that's what he/Sabrina want? I don't know.

Anyway - vent over/rant over. I'm sad this will kill some of the enthusiasm for Histeria's new site after all the work put into it, and also that it will make this forum closing even sadder. And here I thought this thread was getting a happy ending, yet it's going out the same way as always.

If anything, if it turns out he's trying to stop them outscooping him and there is an announcement of a new project, I think this will have pissed a lot of people off. Hence the bad for his "brand" comment not that I think Lynch cares about that.

I don't know - this did seem incredibly unlikely and some of that article gave us all pause, but still, it was Variety.

Oh well. It is what it is. Let's hope a new movie and/or season, TP or not, will come out one day. But like sneakydave, I am also done with these rumours. That's not to say there won't be more as others have pointed out - these rumours don't mean there will never be anything, but if so, it's probably better to avoid speculation and just wait for an official announcement. No more of this "source" says this or "insider" says that or someone tweeted this tease, etc. etc. If anything, Lynch, Sabrina and all involved should avoid teases from now on. Just an actual announcement and release date. I don't think many will find teases fun anymore, though of course I don't speak for everyone.

Peace out guys - I'm calling it a day.
Very well put.

Team Lynch are well plugged into social media. Why not just come out 5 minutes after the Variety story and deny it? Why let your fanbase get themselves whipped up into a fervour when you know it’s a false story and just run with it for days?

It’s over for me, as I said. He isn’t going to deny it 48 hours before the Cannes line up is announced then jump out and say “surprise”. Ive been glued to the web for the last 2 days rejoicing in this news. Blabbering away to my completely uninterested wife about how it might just be new Twin Peaks. Now I’m going to have to admit it’s all a load of old nonsense AGAIN.

More fool me I suppose.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

The EW interview has me convinced that there *is* a surprise film for Cannes this year, and that Lynch knows something about it.