Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by mtwentz »

N. Needleman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:06 pm I take issue with some of the Windom Earle material, but I always enjoyed Welsh and would love to see him again.
It really started out so promising, that first scene will Leo enters Earle's cabin.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:57 pm Other than Kaleem Afta, who else is saying there is a 'surprise' film at cannes ? DL does acknowledge there is some secret surprise film at least.
Yeah that's what I find most bizarre about his quote.

What possible interpretations could stem from that?

Films he has produced (loosely defined) are not eligible for Cannes or are not Cannes material. I don't think the timing for Happy Worker finishing prep is compatible with Cannes rules. Neither is The Happy Worker getting a full theatrical run in France.
Last edited by Histeria on Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

The Variety reporter who broke the news is Elsa Keslassy, but she didn't react to the Lynch denial yet. Her article contained another scoop in dispute right now (the premiere of Pixar's 'Lightyear', which has been denied by Deadline).
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Not to necessarily fan the flames of blind optimism but if Lynch and crew were hoping to keep the secret of the film for as long as possible and the timing of this EW interview happened to line up with the advance leak (keep in mind that even though the primary Cannes line-up is being announced on Thursday that doesn't mean every film will be announced that day) his obfuscation/denial makes all the sense in the world. He wouldn't come out and say "oh, yep, they got me. Here's the details of my new film..." It seems like he very much prefers to announce things on his own terms. That said, it'd be equally unsurprising if this whole film business turned out to be false and there were some signals crossed with sources somewhere.
Last edited by Ickles on Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Hopper wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:00 pm The Variety reporter who broke the news is Elsa Keslassy, but she didn't react to the Lynch denial yet. Her article contained another scoop in dispute right now (the premiere of Pixar's 'Lightyear', which has been denied by Deadline).
Else Keslassy is Variety's Foreign Correspondent, based in France, so I assume she has very firm sources/contacts in the Cannes camp. Denials and all I'd still trust her/her sources over studios/filmmakers trying to keep the suspense going a little longer.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://deadline.com/2022/04/cannes-lig ... 235000520/
There has been a lot of social media speculation this past week about a new David Lynch movie potentially debuting on the Croisette. The festival declined to comment.
I too don't think any artist would go to a press junket interview with no intention of revealing a project and respond to a gotcha question with "damn I've been rumbled."

Andrew Garfield lied more than 100 seperate times in his press junket interviews for films being released before Spider-Man.
Last edited by Histeria on Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Histeria wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:00 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:57 pm Other than Kaleem Afta, who else is saying there is a 'surprise' film at cannes ? DL does acknowledge there is some secret surprise film at least.
Yeah that's what I find most bizarre about his quote.

What possible interpretations could stem from that?

Films he has produced (loosely defined) are not eligible for Cannes or are not Cannes material. I don't think the timing for Happy Worker finishing prep is compatible with Cannes rules. Neither is The Happy Worker getting a full theatrical run in France.
Couldn't be The Fabelmans could it? Don't forget Lynch's role was described by Variety no less as a "closely guarded secret" https://variety.com/2022/film/news/davi ... 235172006/

Crossed wires?

FWIW, these types of possibilities make less logical sense to me than the idea Lynch is just being deceptive about his own.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

The festival declined to comment.
That seems the most telling to me. If it was indeed some big mix-up or hoax I'd assume they would firmly put a stop to the rumors with a concrete denial.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Even the best journalists make mistakes. It's a tough business right now.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

Hopper wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:50 pm ESTOY CANSADO, DAVID, MI CORAZÓN VA A EXPLotar. Sorry for saying this in my language but I'm to tired to think in english right now. Please, David, be clement and don't play with our sentimientos, the constant in and out is killing us.
estamos igual!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:09 pm
The festival declined to comment.
That seems the most telling to me. If it was indeed some big mix-up or hoax I'd assume they would firmly put a stop to the rumors with a concrete denial.
Especially when those (presumably) same sources did clarify Lightyear would probably be an unofficial screening rather than be part of the the festival's official selection.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

Ickles wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:06 pm Else Keslassy is Variety's Foreign Correspondent, based in France, so I assume she has very firm sources/contacts in the Cannes camp. Denials and all I'd still trust her/her sources over studios/filmmakers trying to keep the suspense going a little longer.
I hope you're right!! But I wouldn't know where to put my money on this bet. On one hand, Lynch has a history of crazy denials and the rumor was started by Kaleem Aftab, who is another reputable well Cannes-informed expert. On the other hand... the idea itself of a secret movie is bananas... I'm just tired and very confuso.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Ah well. It was fun to dream. Im out on this rumour now. Been down this road too many times before.

Sigh.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Counterpoint: as much as I consider myself Team Optimism and really really want there to be a new Lynch film in the works, I wonder at what point the buck will stop and a denial will truly be the end of it. I mean, at a certain point the cat would have to get let out of the bag if there was a new work. Maybe all the denial from Lynch is doing is prolonging the mystery a little longer but how much time does that buy them? A couple of days? A couple of weeks? A month at the most? I'm sure even if it ends up being that no Lynch film is announced for Cannes there will still be folks who are convinced there is a film in the works still but that it just didn't get finished in time, etc. I am getting a little frustrated that it seems like the goalposts are constantly shifting with this thing where there always seems to be a sliver of hope with every closed door but if there truly is zero possibility of a new Lynch film/series coming out then I'd rather just know one way or another.

(don't mind me, y'all...just thinking "out loud" over here. Not sure what I believe at this point)
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jonah wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:35 pmI had some concerns about the title of the article being "predictions" - that gave me some pause, as did the two sources which I suspected might be the two we saw on twitter/worldofreel.
The mention of two sources is one of the reasons that I said yesterday that I don't entirely believe that there's going to be something at Cannes.

Even if Cannes is a wash, which seems increasingly likely, I still believe very strongly that Lynch will be working on a major directorial project in the near future, if he hasn't begun one already.